PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
alect (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-05-2011, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh925 View Post
Yes, the Desire is UMTS as long as it is not the CDMA one for Verizon which I doubt.

See this link to wikipedia. I'm not sure which GSM version you have but I think you need UMTS 2100 for HSPA in Italy. Anything else and you are on Edge/GPRS. One of the three GSM versions of the HTC Desire supports 2100 UMTS, the others don't (Telus Mobility Canada and Telstra Australia).

Wikipedia entry for HTC Desire
I believe the Australia Desire is 850/2100 UMTS - so sounds like it will work

Old
  (#12)
alect (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-05-2011, 10:15

So seems like this is where I am:
  • TIM has some good data packs but VoIP not allowed so out of the question
  • Vodafone - seems like the Mobile Internet Plus data pack for 8/week is a good option and allows VoIP
  • WIND - Could use the Internt No Stop (but officially no VoIP) or could go E20 for Mega Unlimited
  • 3 - Super Internet seems like a good option. Apparently there is a Smartpack Gold which is probably the cheapest option (although not sure if 50Mb per day is enough)

3 has the worst coverage. TIM the best followed by Vodafone.

Seems like Vodafone is the winner for me? I am sure one fo their voice packs will also do for me - don't intend on making too many voice calls.

Did I miss anything?

Old
  (#13)
alect (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-05-2011, 05:45

Btw has anyone who is visiting followed the fast way of getting the fiscal code? And did you have any problems?

Old
  (#14)
alect (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-05-2011, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by alect View Post
So seems like this is where I am:
  • TIM has some good data packs but VoIP not allowed so out of the question
  • Vodafone - seems like the Mobile Internet Plus data pack for 8/week is a good option and allows VoIP
  • WIND - Could use the Internt No Stop (but officially no VoIP) or could go E20 for Mega Unlimited
  • 3 - Super Internet seems like a good option. Apparently there is a Smartpack Gold which is probably the cheapest option (although not sure if 50Mb per day is enough)

3 has the worst coverage. TIM the best followed by Vodafone.

Seems like Vodafone is the winner for me? I am sure one fo their voice packs will also do for me - don't intend on making too many voice calls.

Did I miss anything?
Does the Vodafone Semre Smart data pack have any other restrictions which wouldn't make it suitable for my needs? (eg voip, smartphone, etc)

Old
  (#15)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-05-2011, 17:19

Yes, VoIP is blocked (e.g. you can't start a call, because it's filtered).

Old
  (#16)
alect (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 23-05-2011, 02:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Yes, VoIP is blocked (e.g. you can't start a call, because it's filtered).
but the Mobile Internet Plus is ok and allows VoIP??

I don't see why carriers block VoIP - it doesn't really use all that much data.....

Old
  (#17)
mingelli (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 23-05-2011, 06:58

Vodafone Mobile Internet Plus will allow Voip at euro 8 a week, but also TIM Internet Senza Limiti at 24 euro a month for 10Gb will allow Voip. I would recommend so the TIM as comes out to be cheaper with good speed and good coverage.

Old
  (#18)
alect (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 23-05-2011, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingelli View Post
Vodafone Mobile Internet Plus will allow Voip at euro 8 a week, but also TIM Internet Senza Limiti at 24 euro a month for 10Gb will allow Voip. I would recommend so the TIM as comes out to be cheaper with good speed and good coverage.

since we are in Italy for 2 weeks only, the Vodafone pack seems more economical.

Thanks for your help!

Old
  (#19)
alect (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 28-05-2011, 04:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
In The Netherlands you can get yourself Vodafone sim card for €7,50 including €5 credit (€10 if you optionally register it) and buy yourself a 250MB pack for €4,75.

Depending on how much data you will need you can calculate whether or not it is justifying a Dutch sim card.
hey Kuba. It now seems I am going with vodafone in italy. I don't suppose I can keep using the same vodafone SIM in holland and just buy some dutch data packs for it?

Also can you point me to where I can read about that Voda NL offer you speak of? The page on this site doesn't show that option:- PrePaidGSM: Vodafone (Netherlands)

Last edited by alect; 28-05-2011 at 04:09..

Old
  (#20)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 28-05-2011, 06:35

Quote:
I don't suppose I can keep using the same vodafone SIM in holland and just buy some dutch data packs for it?
No, you can't. Different country.

Quote:
Btw has anyone who is visiting followed the fast way of getting the fiscal code? And did you have any problems?
It works fine, and usually is identical to the code you get from the authorities, as the formula is public knowledge (differences usually have to do with including middle names or not). Of course, you can get a real CF if you want - just go to the nearest tax office with your passport. It only takes a few minutes.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell