PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default UK to require prepaid users to prove identity - 20-10-2008, 19:42

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4969312.ece

Interesting news. I'm not sure whether it'll apply retroactively, but it will certainly make life for visitors to the UK more challenging since you'll have to get there to get a SIM.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#2)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 20-10-2008, 23:19

I saw it yesterday evening on another forum, but hadn't got around to posting it here yet. It's still just a proposal, and may or may not get through Parliament.

It will probably be easy enough for the real terrorists to use SIM cards from countries that still don't register them, and it's not like any credit is needed to ring up a bomb, which is apparently what the Madrid bombers did.

By coincidence, as I write this I'm listening to a song that was inspired by a visit to the World Trade Centre.

Old
  (#3)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-10-2008, 15:32

i reckon if the commons won't shred it the lords will......doubt it will become mandatory

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#4)
bylo (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-10-2008, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkav View Post
i reckon if the commons won't shred it the lords will......doubt it will become mandatory
You're right. MPs and Lords would never pass legislation that would make it harder for them to discretely communicate with their mistresses and other less-than-savoury constituents

Or as Churchill once put it, that would be like turkeys voting for an early Christmas.

Phones: OnePlus 5 • Nexus 5
SIMs: CA Fido/Fongo • AT A1-B.free • Google Fi
R.I.P.: UM • UM+

Old
  (#5)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 23-10-2008, 23:06

I thought Lord's had their power gutted several years ago and that it is now a largely ceremonial body (Law Lords excluded).

Old
  (#6)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 25-10-2008, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I thought Lord's had their power gutted several years ago and that it is now a largely ceremonial body (Law Lords excluded).
No they still get a say in if a law passes or not...they routinely feck laws the commons send to the upper house.

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#7)
easyroam- (Offline)
DEALER
Prepaid Fan

Default 25-10-2008, 19:44

This will never be law in the UK.
If there was a chance is was. Manx and Jersey sim cards would be excluded as they have there own parliament and make there own laws.

Old
  (#8)
rockjock (Offline)
Official Member

Default 06-11-2008, 21:50

I read that in the UK your SMS's are kept on file, so I do not think this is a stretch. Seeing that the UK is the lapdog to the US I can see the fear of terrorist SMS's and such making the law pass in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyroam- View Post
If there was a chance is was. Manx and Jersey sim cards would be excluded as they have there own parliament and make there own laws.

Old
  (#9)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 06-11-2008, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyroam- View Post
Yeah then i can see all the CI and IOM operators offering there payg rates to match the mainlands and then scrapping the roaming fee...think of all the extra cash heading there way?

Spare (unused phones)