PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Ukap (Offline)
Official Member

Default Truphone - 13-02-2009, 13:18

Whats the deal with the truphone app for Iphone? Get VoIP on your Mobile and Make Cheap Calls with Truphone
I currently use jajah and plan to use this with wifi when in Europe to call back to the USA.
If truphone a similar company?

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 13-02-2009, 13:34

Yes, Truphone is a similar country. Truphone's claim to fame is that it integrates perfectly into the Nokia interface and that they give you a virtual number if you are on a US or UK plan AND on a Nokia.

Truphone may be the only game out there for Blackberries right now. If folks know of other solutions for Blackberries, my wife would love to know them.

Old
  (#3)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-02-2009, 16:58

Stu -
Aren't you still a U.S. T-Mobile customer? As i recall, you were at one time. If so, why not use their $20/mo. option?
I know BB is available, now, on some pre-paid platforms. It is probably just a matter of time until one of the intl. prepaids has it. Wonder what the cost will be.

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#4)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 14-02-2009, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Stu -
Aren't you still a U.S. T-Mobile customer? As i recall, you were at one time. If so, why not use their $20/mo. option?
I know BB is available, now, on some pre-paid platforms. It is probably just a matter of time until one of the intl. prepaids has it. Wonder what the cost will be.

...mike
My main phone is on ATT. I don't love Blackberries, but am tempted. I have a Tmobile SIM which is not my main account. My wife uses all the minutes on that account. When she is out of the country, I use the SIM to leach my wife's minutes and let mine roll over. I also use the My Favs to cut down on my minutes. I gave up on the grandfathering once I could no longer pull down the rates for the countries I was visiting. For example, in Kuwait one provider on the old system was over $7 a minute and the other one was $1 a minute and no one could tell us which one was the cheap one. Lastly, I obviously do use the phone for Hotspot calling.

I wasn't talking about on a Blackberry, I thought the guy was talking about a third party service. There isn't very much there.

I have a Nokia E71, but the Blackberry international plans are very tempting. It won't however be $20 a month because I would need to implement a BES server to fully take advantage of TMobile's Blackberry plans.

Old
  (#5)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 14-02-2009, 01:24

Stu -
Off topic. There was a front page article in Feb. 12 NY Times about the collapsing Dubai economy. Hope it's not affecting you and spouse.
To keep this on topic - remember there is excellent free wifi at the Dubai airport where you can make "free" calls w. your T-Mobile UMA enabled phone.

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#6)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 16-02-2009, 13:10

I saw the IHT's article on Dubai. Right now my wife's work is secure, but remember she works for a US company and is only 1/3 time in Dubai. The company bills her by the hour and she is one of their top hourly biller so they are actually making money on her. She also has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in her company so I think we are ok.

My wife likes a phone for telephoning and a PDA for email. For $10 a month, I am not going to fight with her about this. She carries a Blackberry Curve with UMA and a Samsung Katalyst which are both HS@HOme compatible. I have an old Nokia 6086, but rarely have my SIM card in that phone except when I am out of the country.

My E-71 has unlimited hotspot calling in most countries via my Asterisks server. My standard second phone is an E65. I have SwyxIt Mobile on it which is meant for their PBX, but works fine for my Asterisks system (not all the secondary commands work) and allows seamless two stage dialing.

My ATT phone still has fast forward on it (unlimited call forwarding minutes) and I basically divert that number to my solution de jour. When I am at home or at work, I divert the number to my Asterisks system. I have a friend who is a small VOIP reseller in Michigan. He has given me four or five US inbound DIDs and I buy 100,000 North American minutes a month from him for $25. He also ported my home phone and business lines over. I have the capacity to set the CID on my outbound DIDs so I am pretty much in business. I have Voicetrading and a Future-Nine account for my international calls. I also have a UK and a Canadian DID,, but that is a different story. No one seems to be selling UAE DIDs for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Stu; 16-02-2009 at 13:19..