PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
henky (Offline)

Default 02-03-2010, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
If you need 3G in the US, your better go with AT&T. Tmobile's 3G footprint is no where close to AT&T's. And it will even be worse or non-existent down there in Louisiana. What part of La. are you heading to. I used to live in Baton Rouge and then New Olrleans briefly in the early 90's.
Ok cuz I heard AT&T was terrible, and I figured why not go with T-Mobile. Now I've got doubts again haha!

I'm headed to Lafayette pretty close to Baton actually! 'bout 50 miles

Edit: kinda off topic but since you've lived there can you tell me what the people are like? Where I come from (holland) people are extremely liberal, and I think it'll take some time to adapt. The only people down there I really know is my family

Old
  (#12)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 02-03-2010, 22:15

No. I guess it's all relative However if AT&T is terrible then tmobile is probably terrible X 2. Especially when it comes to indoor coverage. Tmobile primarily usesd the 1900 band which does not penetrate buildings well. 3G is another story. If you want 3G don't touch tmobile. Heck! tmobile probably carries may be 2 or 3 3G phones at the moment. OTOH, you will be hard pressed to find a non-3G phone sold by AT&T. That there should give you enough to go with.

Louisiana is a nice place. I am not from there either. I just went to school down there and worked there for 1 year after college. In general, I did not have any problems living there. It's much more laid back though and is quite affordable.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#13)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-03-2010, 15:29

AT&T is certainly terrible in San Diego. I had better, more consistent voice service on T-Mobile. (T-Mobile prepaid doesn't really do data so I couldn't test data speeds.)

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#14)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 03-03-2010, 16:13

PCWorld recently published an article comparing 3G performance of US cellcos, which came to the conclusion that AT&T's network is superior (see table below). However before watching for performance, check out which operator actually covers your area with 3G especially indoors or wherever you intend to go online.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#15)
henky (Offline)

Default 03-03-2010, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
PCWorld recently published an article comparing 3G performance of US cellcos, which came to the conclusion that AT&T's network is superior (see table below). However before watching for performance, check out which operator actually covers your area with 3G especially indoors or wherever you intend to go online.

thanks man, thanks all of you! I've had great support from you guys in making my decision.
In fact when I look on the att's coverage map, the signal quality is supposed to be good indoors, as it's colored red (best coverage) !
so I guess I'm going with AT&T! But what phone haha? There's so many and I'd like something similar to my htc Hero

Old
  (#16)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 03-03-2010, 21:47

Get the Nexus One or if you want a hardware keyboard the Motorola Milestone as soon as these get available as UMTS 850/1900-compatible versions. Both run Android 2.x and have a screen resolution of 854x480 pixels, which you'll never want to miss after seeing it once.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#17)
henky (Offline)

Default 06-03-2010, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Get the Nexus One or if you want a hardware keyboard the Motorola Milestone as soon as these get available as UMTS 850/1900-compatible versions. Both run Android 2.x and have a screen resolution of 854x480 pixels, which you'll never want to miss after seeing it once.
yeah the nexus one I don't like the design, nor do I like the droid's design, plus their interface is ugly. But I guess we got lot's more phones coming!