PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#31)
DallasJohn (Offline)

Default Using 3G unlocked/jail broken iPhone with SFR sim & get Internet - 25-04-2010, 06:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBNuts View Post
bukzin, yup, you need to jailbreak and unlock. Musigny, yes you can buy in the US but I found them to be way more expensive with no better a guarantee that they would work (just my opinion)

UPDATE: Persistence pays off! I found websfr did not work but wapsfr did. HOWEVER, it seemed to be eating up my phone call credits - which it shouldn't have been touching. I went back to the store I bought it from and explained the websfr vs. wapsfr, they got on the phone with the sfr folks and opened up my acct to work WITHOUT charge utilizing the wapsfr setting.

I had gone in and explained that it was eating my credits and I thought it was because the wapsfr may be a different package/program...that was, in fact, exactlly what was going on.

So if it doesn't work, be persistent, try everything, and go back to your store and talk to them.

Oh, one more thing...the store I bought from had a young lady who spoke english...all be it very broken english, but between the two of us, we managed to work it out and she made at least three or four calls to get me straightened out. If you're in Paris you may want to show up at the store on 15 Rue Soufflot in the 5th arrondisement. I am female (so this isn't a sexist comment) but there have always been the same two girls there...if you go there, look for the slimmer, cuter one of the two, she was the one who went out of her way to help and got me up and running...FANTASTIQUE!

oh, and if I haven't mentioned it before, you need to have "communication" credit on your card in order for your internet and wifi to even work. If you get too low, you will find that even though you have "unlimited" internet and wifi should be a non-issue, they will all of a sudden stop working. That is a clue that you are getting too low and need to get to a tabac and buy a recharge.

Bonne chance to all....I don't even really need the phone part, and having the interenet instantly available has been fantastic....(and the GPS is a no-brainer, must-have).

MBN
Must b nuts your great!!! Can we work on a set of instructions??

1. I have a an old SFR card, I guess I need to get a new one with data a 3G for €30, and I hear if you re charge you get a bonus of free Internet usage.
2. Ok I have My phone, so I should go to Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone on your iPhone Safari, Custom APN, and enter what I listed above. You can manually edit the APN, just tap on it.

3. Then follow the instructions laid out to modify the dns and make changes to the wap name as you point out above etc. I will cut and paste I hope that section, Here::: but if I can do it, you all can go back a few threads and see the instructions.
4. Then it should be whala fin fixed ready to rock and roll!!!!

We should be able to make and receive calls, and have our internet working on the phone?????
Should we set the settings on the iphone to 3G as well????

Anything that I'm missing?
Is there a limit to data? Or is it done by time?
I can't wait to try this!
Thanks for the great posts! Really helpful to those of us that travel in france.
I'm using the 3G key on my lap top from SFR, I thought maybe I could just pop it out and in my iPhone and in would be good to go, I wasn't before but maybe with the apn mod, maybe it will work??? Does anyone have a comment?
Thanks again.

Old
  (#32)
imaNuS (Offline)

Default 07-07-2010, 02:12

please...i need on SFR sim card. I'm from portugal and i really need it to activate my iphone. how can i get one??? thanks

Old
  (#33)
topsipos (Offline)

Smile My experience with with SFR and Orange - 01-08-2010, 12:18

Hi,
I was in paris for 10 days and I asked a local friend of mine to purchase me two sim cards.
1. prepaid Orange
2. prepaid SFR with iphone package.
i have an Iphone 3gs with ios4 unlocked (not jailbreak)

the orange sim card worked right away but the price for internet was very high.
I had 5 euros credit on the phone and after 1 minutes of use i had 3 euros.
the SFR never worked for me.
I went to two different places and they didn't manage to activate it.
At the end I gave up and use the SFR to receive calls.
Also I used then service to place calls with call back services.
The call back service was blocked with the orange sim.

Old
  (#34)
nz-stu (Offline)

Default In France Now - making iphone work for Data on SFR - 13-08-2010, 14:41

Hi All

I am currently in France and after 3 days of hard work I think I have the definitive answer on making an iphone work for Data using a SFR sim.

1. I do have an unlocked (not jailbreak) iphone running IOS4 (4.0.2 - but that doesnt matter really). The big thing is I can edit my APN

2. You go to any SFR store and have to do two things
A. get a SIM card - this costs 14 Euro.

Note: You seem to get 10 Euro of free calling and text with this.

B. get the data only plan

Note: You can pay by the day or get a maximum of 20 days for 24 Euro.

3. When it runs out - go and top it up again. You can also do this online (use good translator to navigate the essential bits)

Other Notes:
1. I think you need to voice minutes for anything to work (but this is part of your 14 euro SIM card)
2. Its a prepay plan so you need to ring and activate your minutes with the carrier (dial 952). Get the people in the store to do it
3. You can go to their website and register your SIM and see online minutes. It takes about 3 days for this to start working. Enter your mobile number and get them to text you the password reminder. Mine took about 2 days to turn up.

Technical Setup

1. As soon as my SIM was in my phone and they guy from the shop redeemed my top up (they call it recharger) my voice and SMS started working.

Note: This was a surprise as I thought I only had a data plan.

2. Data wouldn't work! I made these changes and got partial data.

A. go to settings
B. General
C. Network
D. Cellular Data Network
E. CHANGE THE CELLULAR DATA APN to wapsfr
Notes:
1. Leave username blank
2. leave password blank
3. Also try websfr
4. You may need to reboot your phone.

Issues

1. Google maps works
2. Browsing works
3. I still haven't got native email working (but you can obviously use the web interface)

Let me know how you get on!

Lastly..... the EASY WAY FOR THIS

Get the carrier to send you a text with the data settings. It arrives as an SMS and you open it and it automatically updates your settings.

Vodafone allows you to do this for any of their operating companies worldwide - from their website:

Hi All

I am currently in France and after 3 days of hard work I think I have the definitive answer on making an iphone work for Data using a SFR sim.

1. I do have an unlocked (not jailbreak) iphone running IOS4 (4.0.2 - but that doesnt matter really). The big thing is I can edit my APN

3. When it runs out - go and top it up again. You can also do this online (use good translator to navigate the essential bits)

Other Notes:
1. I think you need to voice minutes for anything to work (but this is part of your 14 euro SIM card)
2. Its a prepay plan so you need to ring and activate your minutes with the carrier (dial 952). Get the people in the store to do it
3. You can go to their website and register your SIM and see online minutes. It takes about 3 days for this to start working. Enter your mobile number and get them to text you the password reminder. Mine took about 2 days to turn up.

Technical Setup

1. As soon as my SIM was in my phone and they guy from the shop redeemed my top up (they call it recharger) my voice and SMS started working.

A. go to settings
B. General
C. Network
D. Cellular Data Network
Notes:
1. Leave username blank
2. leave password blank
3. Also try websfr

Issues

1. Google maps works
2. Browsing works
3. I still haven't got native email working (but you can obviously use the web interface)

Lastly..... the EASY WAY FOR THIS

Get the carrier to send you a text with the data settings. It arrives as an SMS and you open it and it automatically updates your settings.

Vodafone allows you to do this for any of their operating comapnies worldwide - from their website

Hi All

Other Notes:

Technical Setup

A. go to settings
B. General
C. Network
D. Cellular Data Network
Notes:
1. Leave username blank
2. leave password blank
3. Also try websfr

Issues

1. Google maps works
2. Browsing works

The EASY WAY FOR THIS

Vodafone allows you to do this for any of their operating companies worldwide - from their website. My french isnt good enough to find it on the SFR site. You fill in your mobile and handset tyoe and they send the settings for data, mms etc to you. Saves all this bollocks of editing APN etc!

Configure your mobile phone settings - Wireless OTA - Help - Vodafone NZ

Note: I could not get anyone at SFR to understand that this could be done!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SFR Config.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	58  

Old
  (#35)
LeCanadien (Offline)

Default 14-09-2010, 17:51

I've been unable to buy any data services or a SIM card for data from SFR. No one at the closest SFR shop or the independant shop all said that data is not possible without a contract.

I did buy a basic SFR card for voice and text. Works fine on my iPhone, but am dying to get data services!

Any suggestions?

Old
  (#36)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 24-10-2010, 09:57

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what the data limit of this day 3 euro day pack is? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Also, if SFR is beging so problematic, I am wondering why not to try M6 Mobile which also offers 3 euro / day package?
(also with M6 Mobile I can't find the data limit anywhere)

Old
  (#37)
mingelli (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 24-10-2010, 17:39

With the sim card you have you need to buy some special recharge for iphone
in different values and duration. Check here Recharges SFR La Carte : SFR Mobile
But the service is spotty and not always working

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCanadien View Post
I've been unable to buy any data services or a SIM card for data from SFR. No one at the closest SFR shop or the independant shop all said that data is not possible without a contract.

I did buy a basic SFR card for voice and text. Works fine on my iPhone, but am dying to get data services!

Any suggestions?

Old
  (#38)
eugeniod1995 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 20-12-2010, 16:49

What is the minimum age in France to buy a prepaid SIM card?

I'll be in France on March 2012 with my school.

I will also be in France in June 2011 with my family so my dad will can buy "La Carte" (I have an iPhone 3GS) but I don't know if the SIM will be able to be used after 10 months I don't recharge it.

Thanks to all