PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-02-2006, 12:50

Hallo everyone,
I am quite a new in Global SIM card game. I am planning to buy half of dozen cards from either Geodesa or 0044.co.uk. Geodesa have cheaper SMS, but more expensive call rates. Any suggestion on this matter as well as where to buy them at best price. Contacting them directly, I have got only 5 % off from one provider and nil the other one.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Lukas

Old
  (#2)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 21-02-2006, 14:02

Welcome

I don't know. It seems slightly in flux at the moment. Some of the 0044 tariffs shown - Spain and France - are higher than the present charges appearing on the CallKey account, so I wonder if Geodesa will be similar.

I'm wondering about CallKey shifting more of the support and functions of the SIM towards the dealers, who may have ambitions for higher tariffs or different facilities later, as GTsim have done. I think that would be a pity, as the present tariffs are roughly on a par with any local SIM and callback.

I just hope they don't start charging incoming calls ...

Old
  (#3)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-02-2006, 20:29

Oh I forgot one more thing. When I have approached CallKey directly, to get the cards from them, they referred me to following site http://www.simazing.com/ as their distributor on the Internet. With reference to Andy's quote, if all other distributors will change their rates to the ones presented on http://www.simazing.com/, we are going to be very unhappy indeed.

Old
  (#4)
MrEd (Offline)
DEALER
Advanced Member

Default 03-03-2006, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Welcome

I don't know. It seems slightly in flux at the moment. Some of the 0044 tariffs shown - Spain and France - are higher than the present charges appearing on the CallKey account, so I wonder if Geodesa will be similar.

The rates on your "account" page are for web based initiated calls and lower in price than SIM initiated calls.

. I think that would be a pity, as the present tariffs are roughly on a par with any local SIM and callback.

The rates on your "account" page are for web based initiated calls and are lower in price than SIM initiated calls.

I'm wondering about CallKey shifting more of the support and functions of the SIM towards the dealers

They are.

, who may have ambitions for higher tariffs or different facilities later, as GTsim have done,

Not "us". www.globalsimcard.co.uk (Geodesa)

What would be the point, thats the whole selling point of the Global SIM.

Old
  (#5)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-03-2006, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd
Quote:
shifting more of the support and functions ... towards the dealers
They are.
I think I knew that, thanks, but was trying to get others into the discussion.

Quote:
Quote:
What would be the point, thats the whole selling point of the Global SIM.
That's my point exactly - I can't quite see the point of GTsim, compared to these options, just as Riiing looked better than Buytel [even before it was laid low].

Old
  (#6)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 04-03-2006, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy,Mar 3 2006, 10:02 PM
They are.
I think I knew that, thanks, but was trying to get others into the discussion.

What would be the point, thats the whole selling point of the Global SIM.[/QUOTE]

That's my point exactly - I can't quite see the point of GTsim, compared to these options, just as Riiing looked better than Buytel [even before it was laid low].[/QUOTE]

What can't you see? The reason for the fact that GT-sim charges for incoming calls whereas other Callkey "incarnations" like 0044 or geodessa don't? But do those other Callkey-based SIMs mobile calls to anywhere for as few as 38 cents/min (and to non-CPP countries like USA even 26 cents/min)??? Why don't you ask what's the point of using Hop since there are more and more SIMs with free incoming calls ?
IHMO the marketing idea behind GT-sim is the simplicity of the tariff (just like in case of Hop), not making dozens of zones and forcing to use tariff calculators for each combination of origin and destination. Such a simplicity usually causes overpaying in some cases, of course....

And something OT. Until 1 euro costs less than 4 PLN, GT-sim when used in Poland is cheaper than any Polish mobile tariff plan (prepaid or postpaid) for calling abroad! Arrrghh :ranting2:

Old
  (#7)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-03-2006, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog
But do those other Callkey-based SIMs mobile calls to anywhere for as few as 38 cents/min (and to non-CPP countries like USA even 26 cents/min)???
No, they don't charge anything like as much as 38c for landlines, eg Poland from UK about 15c, and other callback could be used for that sort of price from many places.

Old
  (#8)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 04-03-2006, 18:55

Quote:
No, they don't charge anything like as much as 38c for landlines, eg Poland from UK about 15c, and other callback could be used for that sort of price from many places.
I mistyped my thought with those "mobile calls"

Except for USA, Canada and India, all outgoing calls from GT-sim to mobile phones anywhere in the world are for 38 cents/min and to landlines (and to mobile phones in some non-CPP countries like USA) for 26 cents/min, right?

I know that landline rates in Geodesa or 0044 are often better than those 26 cents.
But, do Geodesa or 0044 offer rates better than 38 cents rates for calls to MOBILE phones?

Old
  (#9)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-03-2006, 20:01

Sorry, I wasn't quite on the ball.

They don't have that tariff for mobiles, so this is probably where the GTsim trade-off is, cheaper calls to mobiles in return for charged incoming calls.

But it is possible with more effort to make 'outgoing' calls via callthrough operators that would allow calls to mobiles in the same sort of range.

Or to use other callback firms. One also has a 39c tariff between most European mobiles.

With a different callback I can call UK mobiles for 17 to 20p per minute, other countries mobiles at from 20p (Australia 19, France 20, Poland 22.5, Germany 27), with landlines and US mobiles at from 9.5p. Adding callthrough to this callback may mean UK mob for 12.4p (possibly 10.4p at weekends) and foreign mobiles at 18.4p

Maybe it's more messing about, but only at about the same level as using CBW or Enlinea with Riiing. For me, I'd accept this for the sake of free incoming calls, but I suppose it depends on the proportion of calls to landlines and mobiles called, and incoming vs outgoing calls.

Old
  (#10)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 04-03-2006, 21:43

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't quite on the ball.

They don't have that tariff for mobiles, so this is probably where the GTsim trade-off is, cheaper calls to mobiles in return for charged incoming calls.
I agree, that's possible. And, as an extra, a possible marketing advantage of having simple tariffs....

Quote:
But it is possible with more effort to make 'outgoing' calls via callthrough operators that would allow calls to mobiles in the same sort of range.

(...)

Maybe it's more messing about, but only at about the same level as using CBW or Enlinea with Riiing.
Yes, that's right - less "comfortable" way of calling but much more remains in your pocket .

Quote:
For me, I'd accept this for the sake of free incoming calls, but I suppose it depends on the proportion of calls to landlines and mobiles called, and incoming vs outgoing calls.
Well, if someone mostly makes calls to mobiles, receives very few calls and, moreover, he/she doesn't like/want to deal with all that callback/callthrough mess then GT-sim seems to better than any other international SIM when using in most countries of its coverage.

BTW, with GT-sim it doesn't make sense to use callback since incoming calls aren't cheaper than outgoing ones. But perhaps some callthrough landlines would be useful provided that it would be possible to reach the mobile destination number within 12 cents of difference... I doubt if such a deal exists at all...