PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#101)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-11-2006, 22:57

Just returned from a cruise to Mexico where I used my new 09 SIM. I was able to get it to work both by making calls through the 09 callback system and also using CBW and the two-phone URL-trigger method. I left the "dest=1234567890" part out of the URL. When the callback came it told me that I entered a bad number and to re-enter the number followed by #. I have not been able to see the CBW charges because their online accounting seems to be down. SMS did not work at all. I tried setting my VoiceStick forwarding to the 09 SIM. The people who tried calling my VoiceStick number all received a "Cannot connect" message.

Old
  (#102)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 10-11-2006, 06:30

This is something I have also mentioned. Some voip routes do not work to 09 mobiles.

Old
  (#103)
forwarddeployed

Default 11-11-2006, 16:24

I've had an 09 card since July of this year, which I purchased directly from 09 and had sent to the US (where I am originally from), to test the SIM out before going abroad and then used throughout Europe. . . The 09 global roaming chip does technically work, but there are a few annoying hitches. . .

While 09 technically has roaming privileges with a long list of providers around the worls, I found that this applies to receiving phone calls, not necessaily making them. For some annoying reason, local providers they have agreement with will not always allow dialing out on the 09 chip, but will allow incoming.

Such was the case with Cingular in the US, which would only accept incoming calls, while T-Mobile allowed both incoming and outgoing calls and 09 support services through its network.

I also found a similar circumstance in Hungary, where Pannon and T-Mobile worked for incoming and outgoing, but Vodafone did not. . . This situation resulted in me manually seardching for networks and determining which ones allowed me to dial out. . .

I conferred with 09 Technical Support to determine why this was happening, even though they had roaming agreements with their listed providers, and I was left with the reply that they were investigating. . . I sent a follow-up mail a few weeks later and have never received a reply. . .

The 09 system does work, but it takes a bit of fiddling that can be annoying. . .

Old
  (#104)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-11-2006, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwarddeployed
For some annoying reason, local providers they have agreement with will not always allow dialing out on the 09 chip, but will allow incoming.
This is due to the type of signaling most of the international roaming SIMs use to initiate the call. Another good reason to have an alternate roaming SIM (e.g. Mobal) that you can use to trigger a callback service to ring your 09 phone. I use my T-Mobile account's GPRS to touch the URL that triggers a CBW call to the 09 SIM. It's a bit of a pain but it does work and calls back to the US from "free incoming" countries are only about 15c/min. This also avoids 09's "setup fee".

Unfortunately 09's support is pathetic. They should have a list of carriers showing which support outbound calling and which don't.

BTW, I don't recall seeing this mentioned before, the Icelandic Post & Telecom Admin's website shows the 354-380-XXX-XXX range as being assigned to a GSM carrier called "N?ll n?u". I have no idea what "N?ll n?u" means in Icelandic.

Old
  (#105)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 11-11-2006, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb
SMS did not work at all.
I can understand that SMS doesn't work in Hop where it costs only 10 US cents but the case of 09 with the rate 49 eurocents and not working either is pretty amazing :P Don't they want to make money from SMSing???

Old
  (#106)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 11-11-2006, 20:25

Quote:

BTW, I don't recall seeing this mentioned before, the Icelandic Post & Telecom Admin's website shows the 354-380-XXX-XXX range as being assigned to a GSM carrier called "N?ll n?u". I have no idea what "N?ll n?u" means in Icelandic.

It means zero nine (09)

Old
  (#107)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-11-2006, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by prion
It means zero nine (09)
Well, that makes perfect sense. :blink:

Old
  (#108)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 12-11-2006, 17:57

Quote:
Well, that makes perfect sense. :blink:
And numberingplans.com also says the same:

Information on phone number range +354 380XXXXXX

Number billable as mobile number
Country or destination Iceland
City or exchange location
Original network provider* N?ll n?u ehf.

It seems that 09 is a kind of an Icelandic MVNO with a separate number range...

BTW (and OT), info for UM says:

Information on phone number range +423 66XXXXXXX

Number billable as personal number
Country or destination Liechtenstein
City or exchange location
Original network provider*

Old
  (#109)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 22-12-2006, 19:47

Has anyone used 09 recently with CBW or VoiceStick? I've tried to ring my 09 SIM with both CBW accounts (Dialthru [PIN2DEST] & Ezcore) without success. I've also tried to call it via VoiceStick. That does not work either. I can pick up my home phone and ring it using TTI-National (MCI) with no problems. This is frustrating.

Old
  (#110)
bones_boy (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 23-12-2006, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
Has anyone used 09 recently with CBW or VoiceStick? I've tried to ring my 09 SIM with both CBW accounts (Dialthru [PIN2DEST] & Ezcore) without success. I've also tried to call it via VoiceStick. That does not work either. I can pick up my home phone and ring it using TTI-National (MCI) with no problems. This is frustrating.
I can't call my o9 number through any carrier (Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Skype). I also can't make an outbound call from the US to anywhere. o9 sent me a new SIM but it doesn't work either. It's frustrating to me as well, because we're supposed to use it every once in a while in order not to lose the credit.

Can you make a outbound call using o9 in the US?