PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
ggking7 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default Tuenti is excellent - 11-06-2015, 15:44

I always buy a Carrefour SIM when visiting Spain, but when I arrived this time I found out that they changed the service around and you can only refill your data allowance once per month. I asked around at several other phone shops and I was told that the situations there were the same for prepaid except with Happy Movil. I bought that SIM but it was pathetically slow. Then I heard that Tuenti allowed unlimited refills so I bought that SIM at a Movistar shop and it has been awesome in every way. Also the help I received at Movistar was extremely knowledgeable which was a breath of fresh air.

Old
  (#2)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-06-2015, 22:16

Well, they have made a relaunch now with new colors (actually b&w) and the first 4G/LTE on a MVNO on prepaid in Spain. The only other so far is Vodafone.

.Tuenti as they want to be called now is not the only operator who lets you upsize your data package. Digi mobil, Vodafone, Yoigo have data add-ons for more data on prepaid too. Hits mobile even lets you buy a new base pack ahead of time. So you simply asked at the wrong shops that were not selling these brands.

Still, the sales policy of .Tuenti is a disgrace. Here is my description which led to a totally different point of view:
Quote from my description on the prepaid data WIKI:

Extra rules for foreigners:

Legally they are not allowed to discriminate foreigners, but tuenti has invented some special rules for them: In physical stores like Movistar shops you can do the registration only by showing your passport. Unlike holders of Spanish ID cards (DNI, NIE) you must pay 25 € and the only option to choose is the 7 € package. The rest will be given as a 18 € card balance. In the following month, you will have a free choice. Thus tuenti seems to try to hold on to you.
This strange policy is not enforced if you order it online. You can use your passport ID or Spanish ID cards (called DNI and NIE) online and pay with a credit card or cash-on-delivery and choose any package you like. They'll send it to any Spanish address like your hotel.

This policy was confirmed in 2014 by the Tuenti support forum and by own experience. They charge you worse than the locals and Americans love it... I don't really understand why you praise them for it.

Anyway, they give the 1 GB add-on (not the original pack) for €4 during this summer in a promotion which is a good price for data on 4G/LTE.

Old
  (#3)
ggking7 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 13-06-2015, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbln View Post
.Tuenti as they want to be called now is not the only operator who lets you upsize your data package. Digi mobil, Vodafone, Yoigo have data add-ons for more data on prepaid too. Hits mobile even lets you buy a new base pack ahead of time. So you simply asked at the wrong shops that were not selling these brands.
I went to a Vodafone shop and a Yoigo shop and was specifically told that the data allowance on those could only be refilled once per month. This was all communicated through my wife who is a native Spaniard.

Quote:
Legally they are not allowed to discriminate foreigners, but tuenti has invented some special rules for them: In physical stores like Movistar shops you can do the registration only by showing your passport. Unlike holders of Spanish ID cards (DNI, NIE) you must pay 25 € and the only option to choose is the 7 € package. The rest will be given as a 18 € card balance. In the following month, you will have a free choice. Thus tuenti seems to try to hold on to you.
This strange policy is not enforced if you order it online. You can use your passport ID or Spanish ID cards (called DNI and NIE) online and pay with a credit card or cash-on-delivery and choose any package you like. They'll send it to any Spanish address like your hotel.

This policy was confirmed in 2014 by the Tuenti support forum and by own experience. They charge you worse than the locals and Americans love it... I don't really understand why you praise them for it.
So it depends on whether you need unlimited internet access or to save a few Euros.

Oh, and if you've been in Spain for a while then I'm sure you're used to this kind of crap. If you refused to do business with any Spanish company that tried to rip you off then you would be living on the street already.

Old
  (#4)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-06-2015, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggking7 View Post
I went to a Vodafone shop and a Yoigo shop and was specifically told that the data allowance on those could only be refilled once per month. This was all communicated through my wife who is a native Spaniard.
I hate to tell you, not even your Spanish wife is immune to Spanish "customer service".

This is what Yoigo has to say about their prepaid plans:
"Superados los MB a alta velocidad, ésta se reduce hasta máximo 64 kbps sin coste adicional. Si lo necesitas, por 2,42 € € IVA incl. puedes contratar 200 MB más a alta velocidad hasta 4G para usar dentro del mes. Los MB a alta velocidad que no consumas en un periodo no se acumulan para el siguiente."

With Yoigo data even "roll over" to the next month like you say in the US. Add-ons are similar with Vodafone and Digi mobil and Hits mobile. You can make extra money, when you need extra data. Even Spanish telcos have found that out.

Don't tell your wife that she was misguided on that. From my experience they can get very upset when they feel cheated. Better tell her, that the Tuenti promotion with 4€ for 1 GB add-on is the best on the market which is true.

Old
  (#5)
ggking7 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 14-06-2015, 08:04

Quote:
This is what Yoigo has to say about their prepaid plans:
"Superados los MB a alta velocidad, ésta se reduce hasta máximo 64 kbps sin coste adicional. Si lo necesitas, por 2,42 € € IVA incl. puedes contratar 200 MB más a alta velocidad hasta 4G para usar dentro del mes. Los MB a alta velocidad que no consumas en un periodo no se acumulan para el siguiente."

With Yoigo data even "roll over" to the next month like you say in the US. Add-ons are similar with Vodafone and Digi mobil and Hits mobile.

Hard to say whether your English is weak or your Spanish (or both). But don't feel bad, I'm sure your German is excellent.

I've written twice (in English) that I'm looking for data which I can refill an unlimited number of times per month. What you posted (in Spanish) says nothing about that. Also, what you posted specifically says that Yoigo data does *not* roll over to the next month. Sorry

Old
  (#6)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 15-06-2015, 14:11

Quote:
Hard to say whether your English is weak or your Spanish (or both). But don't feel bad, I'm sure your German is excellent.
I agree with your Spanish: data or volume does NOT roll over on Yoigo. I haven't noticed the word "NO".

Sorry, but I can't agree with your English. You specifically asked for a refill of your (data) package ahead of time = before the running time of the original package was over.

Just for definition: a refill is filling up data (or other allowances) in packages which have been used up to give you more or extra volume. OK?

In Europe at least, this can be archieved by two different ways:
(1) the operator lets you buy another (base) package ahead of time. Then you'll have the new allowance for the running time of the new package.
(2) the operator lets you buy add-ons, sometimes called boosters or otherwise, to add a certain allowance/volume to your base pack. [A base package is what you can call a monthly plan in the US - but in Europe plan is normally not used for prepaid. Here the monthly base rate on prepaid is seen as a package too.]

Both ways I consider as "refills". You only consider (1) to be a refill. I can't go with that. Option 2 meets the definition of a refill too and serves your needs as well.

Option (1) is really rare in Europe for a simple reason. Most packages have now combined data/voice/text allowances. Starting a new package ahead of time means that the other allowances will be lost as they don't roll over. This is legally very tricky. So you'll find (1) only on data-only plans or data-only packages.

Tuenti, by the way, offers you add-ons (option 2), not to buy a new base pack ahead of time, because it includes "VOZDigital". When you have used up 80% (or something like this) of your data volume, Tuenti offers you "extra bonos" for a different price and volume.

The main disadvantage of option (2) applies to Tuenti too: All add-ons (in volume) refer to the original running time of the base pack. They don't extend the time frame. Or in other words, you will loose the rest of your added allowance when the running time of the original package is over.

The only prepaid operator in Spain who lets you buy a new (base) pack ahead of time (option 1) is Hits mobile as far as I know. But there may be others.

Last edited by wolfbln; 15-06-2015 at 14:27..

Old
  (#7)
ggking7 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-06-2015, 07:26

You're still misunderstanding. All of the carriers I talked to except for Happy Movil and Tuenti only allow you to buy more data allowance *once* per month. Happy Movil and Tuenti allow you to buy more data allowance an unlimited number of times per month.

Old
  (#8)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 16-06-2015, 16:14

Quote:
You're still misunderstanding. All of the carriers I talked to except for Happy Movil and Tuenti only allow you to buy more data allowance *once* per month. Happy Movil and Tuenti allow you to buy more data allowance an unlimited number of times per month.
I perfectly unterstand what you want. All I say is, that Yoigo and Vodafone representatives (these two companies you named) either were misinformed or lied to you and you posted it as a fact, which is wrong.

Yoigo (Prepaid): Superados los MB a alta velocidad, ésta se reduce hasta máximo 64 kbps sin coste adicional. Si lo necesitas, por 2,42 € IVA incl. puedes contratar 200 MB más a alta velocidad hasta 4G para usar dentro del mes.
http://www.yoigo.com/tarifas/tarifas...el-uno-600-mb/
In English: If you exceed the included high speed data volume, speed will be reduced to max. 64 kbps without additional cost. If you need more, you can book another 200 MB high speed volume in up to 4G speed for €2.42 to be used during the month.

Vodafone on Yu and International (Prepaid): Si consumes los MB o minutos antes de los 30 dÃ*as:
•Podrás seguir navegando, aunque la velocidad se reducirá a 32 Kbps.
•Puedes solicitar en cualquier momento la renovación anticipada y acumular los MB y minutos que no hayas consumido

http://www.vodafone.es/particulares/...repago/?tab=01
In English: If you have consumed your data or minutes before the 30 days:
- you can keep on surfing, but speed will be reduced to 32 kbps
- you can buy at any moment a renewal ahead of time and accumulate data or minutes which you have not consumed.

This is exactly what you were looking for. They offer it. To say, they don't, is simply wrong.

Old
  (#9)
peterdoo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 03-03-2016, 14:57

Quote:
Orange Spain also allows renewals of the data allowance of their prepaid plans (Mundo, Ballena, Ardilla) at any time:
https://ayuda.orange.es/particulares...ion-anticipada

If you do it before using the allowance completely, any unused volume of your previous allowance will be lost. So one always starts with the volume of the new allowance only.

The place to do it is a bit hidden in a web user area:
Contrata / Módulos de ahorro / Ahorro en navegación / Renueva los megas de tu tarifa

Old
  (#10)
ggking7 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-06-2015, 16:34

What? None of what you posted addresses the issue of whether data can be refilled (not filled, refilled) more than once per month. When I walked into a Vodaphone shop and a Yoigo shop, they specifically told me that data could only be refilled once per month, and nothing you posted above contradicts that. I don't know how else to explain this.