PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
JazzDrew (Offline)

Default Switzerland and Germany question from a new user - 14-06-2007, 15:35

Hello,

I am new to SIMs so please excuse my lack of understanding how cell phones in Europe work! I was on the Fodor’s forum and everyone there suggested that I ask the experts on this board!

I am from the US and will be traveling next week to Switzerland and Munich on holiday. We are traveling with another US family and want to be able to contact each other while traveling. We have already purchased phones that will work in Europe (900/1800/1900 band phones) and want to purchase SIMS when we arrive in Zurich.

I understand that there are many SIM options for us. I have read many posts on this site and others but am still confused. I believe our needs are simple. Our primary use will be to communicate with each other in Europe (staying in Kandersteg, Zermatt and in Munich) and to contact family in the US in case of emergency. We expect to use the cell phones 5 to 10 minutes per day calling from cell phone to cell phone. We do not want text messaging, music, or anything other than minutes to talk from cell phone to cell phone and to have the option to receive or call to US in an emergency. We would like to find a SIM card in the airport when we arrive in the morning (Saturday) in Zurich. Both families will purchase the same SIM card. We would like a SIM card that is the least expensive to use with good coverage in Switzerland and in Munich.

Questions:

1. Can someone please suggest a SIM card that we can purchase at the airport in Zurich? I have researched and found that SwissCom, Orange and Sunrise all have kiosks in the Zurich airport. Will there be SIM cards available at these shops? I searched the SwissCom site and found a “NATEL easy liberty” SIM card for only 40 chf that appears to cost only .80 chf per hour! This seems too good to be true. Is that the rate that I would pay for cell to cell? Other sites show SIM rates around 1 chf per minute! We don’t want that if possible!!

Here is the info I found on the internet:

NATEL® easy liberty tariffs
Without subscription (no monthly fixed costs) CHF 0.00
Domestic call tariff (CH and FL) on the Swisscom NATEL® network, fixed network and COMBOX®*
Per call up to a max. of 60 minutes; then CHF 0.80 for each further 60 minutes (7x24h)

* Domestic calls (CH and FL) under five seconds to a Swisscom Mobile COMBOX® or a voice mailbox in the fixed network are free (excl. business numbers).
CHF 0.80
SMS
CHF 0.20
Call to the mobile network of another service provider in Switzerland, per minute (7x24h) CHF 0.70
More cost transparency: A short signal tone reminds you that you have dialled the mobile number of another mobile provider (e.g. Sunrise or Orange) in Switzerland or Liechtenstein. Listen to the signal tone and further information

Call redirection to an inland number, per minute (7x24h) CHF 0.80
Incoming domestic calls and calls routed to the subscriber’s own COMBOX® No charge
Flat rate price for SIM card
(initial or extra card) CHF 40.00

Will this be available for us and will it work?

2. Any suggestions for SIM card in Munich? What card will work for a reasonable price and where would you suggest we get it?

Again, I know that there is not a best solution, but want to know what is a “reasonable” card for us to purchase that will not “rip us off”!

Any suggestions will certainly be appreciated!

JazzDrew

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 14-06-2007, 16:13

Of course you can buy prepaid cards at the operators shops at Zuerich airport.
The Swisscom offer is true, you pay 0.80CHF for all "on-net" (natel-to-natel) calls up to 1 hour. If you plan to make long calls that's great. If you plan to make most shorter calls (<3min) it's better to go with Orangeclick which you should be able to buy at Orange shops. It's also very cheap to buy.
Anyway you can find all information on this website too, just click here.

While in Munich I'd go with some of the "supermarket operators". The cheapest for on-net calls (1ct/min) should be SMobil which you can find at any Schlecker store at 9.90 euros with 10 of credit. It's usually very common to find Schlecker stores in big German cities.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
JazzDrew (Offline)

Default 14-06-2007, 16:22

Effendi,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. We will look for the Orangeclick and Smobil cards. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Thanks again!

JazzDrew

Old
  (#4)
Gryphone (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 14-06-2007, 16:26

There are several discounters that offer cheaper calls between their own cards, the following can be bought at stores: MedionMobile, PennyMobil/Ja!Mobil, Smobil, Tchibo, Simyo and Blau.

Unfortunately none of them are sold at Munich airport, there is only a Mobilcom shop there. If you want to buy the SIMs at the airport you could go for two T-Mobile Xtra cards and try to have them switched to the Xtra Friends tariff with the Xtra Nummber Eins set to the other cards number, this would allow you to make calls for 0,05€/min. between them.

If you can wait until you get downtown I'd recommend one of the other cards.

Active Prepaid SIMs: United Mobile; (RC) China Mobile; (USA) TúYo; (D) Loop, Callya, Simyo; (A) Klax; (I) Wind; (B) Ay Yildiz
Former Prepaid SIMs: (RC) IF; (D) Free&Easy, Xtra; (A) Yesss; (UK) Pay&Go; (E) Movistar; (IS) Frelsi
Mobiles in use: Sagem my101X, Siemens M50, Nokia 6800, Siemens M65, Motorola E770, Samsung SGH-Z500, Nokia 9500
Previous Mobiles: Nokia 5130, Motorola V3688, Sagem myX-1, Siemens M55, NEC e313, SonyEricsson T200, Motorola V980, Siemens C45, Motorola V600

Old
  (#5)
JazzDrew (Offline)

Default 14-06-2007, 16:48

Thank you Gryphone!

Actually, we train from Switzerland to Munich, so we'll be downtown when we arrive. Sounds like we'll have plenty of choices.

Are there any of the cards that you mentioned that we should look for, or avoid? The only one I recognize is the smobil card.

I imagine they are all about the same, but we are concerned that since we do not speak or read the language, we won't be able to read the "fine print" and get a card that is expensive. Other than that, we are ok paying resonable prices.

This is certainlly a great forum for newbies like me.

Thanks!!!

JazzDrew

Old
  (#6)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 14-06-2007, 17:23

JazzDrew you can find all the information in English on this website, if you want to check the rates (which can be quite different).
SMobil is good for the cheap starting kit and on-net calls. But it's very expensive for calling the US, while Blauworld would be a better solution from this point of view (you can buy it at Saturn and Mediamarkt electronic stores, I think there should be one in Neuhauserstrasse if I remember well, it's the main pedestrian street in Munich, close to Marienplatz), but it's more expensive to buy (19.90 including 10).

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#7)
razfaz (Offline)
Official Member

Default 20-06-2007, 21:29

Has any non german resident here successfully bought a smobil SIM at a Schlecker store. When I was at Schlecker it was easy, but I had to present my German ID card, write down its number and fill out a form with my "german residential address, as shown on your ID card or passport"? The form was very explicit that only residents can buy the card. With Alditalk over the internet, I could give any address I wanted.