PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
brizio (Offline)

Default 19-02-2004, 17:53

I am interested in a HopMobile sim card. If I buy it from Europe I'll pay 60 Euros for the card (55 + 5 of shipping costs).
Do you think it's a good price?
Note that since the card will be sent from France I'll pay no taxes on it...

<span style='colorrange'>
<span style='colorrange'>Brizio

GSM phones: T68i - T100 - T65 - T28s

PrePaid sims: Vodafone Omnitel - TIM - Wind - Virgin Mobile UK - O2 UK - T-Mobile UK - Tesco Mobile UK - Sunrise CH - Cosmote GR - Orange Itineris FR

Obsolete PrePaid sims: Blu - Mint Telecom - Swisscom </span>EasyRoam - Vodafone Airtel ES</span>

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 21-02-2004, 15:52

The Hop Abroad sim card has good tariffs, expecially for us Euripeans since now US$ is much weaker than Euro. The problem is the high activation cost! If you plan to use it quite a lot it's a good deal, otherwise, probably, United Mobile is cheaper...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 23-09-2006, 02:55

I've been looking at the international prepaids and considering HOP as a complement to UM. In places like the US & India, where UM is expensive, HOP would at least be reasonable, particularly for incoming calls. I was hoping that Yackie would fill that role but it seems that isn't going to happen any time soon. Does someone have a better plan?

Old
  (#4)
bones_boy (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 25-09-2006, 18:57

One reason I like Hop is the per-second billing, online access to your account, and the flat rates (.90 out, .35 in) everywhere, no "zones" to remember. The CS is pretty non-existent. Wish they had voicemail.

Old
  (#5)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 25-09-2006, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_boy
One reason I like Hop is the per-second billing, online access to your account, and the flat rates (.90 out, .35 in) everywhere, no "zones" to remember. The CS is pretty non-existent. Wish they had voicemail.
0.95 out + 0.20 setup fee to be exact - but still good in many countries expensive for other intn'l sims. Also Thuraya roaming.
Downsides are also: crazy rates to satphones $6/min and, what is much more important, non-functioning SMS receiving/sending....And many countries missing in the coverage, even in Europe...

Old
  (#6)
unlocked (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 25-09-2006, 20:40

I've had Hop for quite a while and agree that it's now a good backup to UM. I really miss SMS and voicemail (so I don't give out the number), and in Europe the rates are not great, but they are reliable for voice calls in a lot of places.

Next month I'll give them a test in Europe, where UM would be cheaper but I have a large Hop credit to burn off so I expect I'll be using them more than usual.

Old
  (#7)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 26-09-2006, 10:26

What is the chepeast rates tht people have found for calling Hop?

Old
  (#8)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 26-09-2006, 12:36

It depends from which country.

Old
  (#9)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 27-09-2006, 06:02

In this age of VOIP, the country does not mean that much. I'm running an Asterisks box. On it, I have accounts connected to the US, UK, and France. I have DIDs connected to it coming from the US, UK, Germany, and China (don't ask). I have unlimited calling into most landlines in the US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, Israel, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Singapore, and many others. As my handle indicates, I am not in any of these countries.

For many of these issues, where you are doesn't really matter. In a way, that is the central purpose of this forum. To make cheap trans-national communication a reality for the masses.

Old
  (#10)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 27-09-2006, 07:03

Ok then.
One cheap option is to dial via a uk 0844 number. This call costs 4p/min if called within the UK.

The number is 08443992473. I have not tried it myself and cannot say anything about the quality.

If you have a cheap solution (at least at rates similar to BT) from dialing these numbers from outside the UK (besides voipfone) please let me know.