PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
mgol (Offline)
Official Member

Default 26-08-2010, 07:59

Khm ! I love the Vodafone option (both the stick and the Websessions), but... using Skype is one of the most important (if not the only) issues for me at least in the coming trip. Do you know how strict are they in avoiding VoIP ? I read in some forums, that sometimes it is declared, but actually is not realized.

Old
  (#22)
mgol (Offline)
Official Member

Default What is the AT-command ? - 26-08-2010, 10:01

I'm trying to disable the flashmemory of the Sierra Wireless Compass 888.
I can't find the appropriate AT-command. Could it be !BOOTHOLD that resets the modem ? I doubt and I'm afraid to try it.

Old
  (#23)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 26-08-2010, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgol View Post
Khm ! I love the Vodafone option (both the stick and the Websessions), but... using Skype is one of the most important (if not the only) issues for me at least in the coming trip. Do you know how strict are they in avoiding VoIP ? I read in some forums, that sometimes it is declared, but actually is not realized.
when i had to stay some days in hospital a few days ago i used a lot of skype with Vodafone Websessions. That worked well, however in the terms of service it is prohibited.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#24)
mgol (Offline)
Official Member

Default 28-08-2010, 00:13

Thanks ! I promise to use O2 wherever it will be possible.

Old
  (#25)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 28-08-2010, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgol View Post
I'm trying to disable the flashmemory of the Sierra Wireless Compass 888.
I can't find the appropriate AT-command. Could it be !BOOTHOLD that resets the modem ? I doubt and I'm afraid to try it.
No, !BOOTHOLD resets the modem and holds the boot procedure for firmware download. Unfortunately I couldn't find any command to disable the flashmemory in Sierra's AT-command reference either. But as workaround you could disable autorun for the flashmemory, which will prevent the dashboard setup to be executed automatically after plugging in your device.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#26)
mgol (Offline)
Official Member

Default 29-08-2010, 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
No, !BOOTHOLD resets the modem and holds the boot procedure for firmware download. Unfortunately I couldn't find any command to disable the flashmemory in Sierra's AT-command reference either. But as workaround you could disable autorun for the flashmemory, which will prevent the dashboard setup to be executed automatically after plugging in your device.
Good idea ! Could you pls to give me a hint of how to do this ? Thanks.

Old
  (#27)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 29-08-2010, 12:03

This is how it's done under Windows XP:
  1. Open Windows Explorer (by pressing the Windows + "e" key).
  2. Right-click the desired CD-ROM and select Properties from the menu.
  3. Select the AutoPlay tab.
  4. Select each item from the pulldown list and for the Action to perform, select "Take no action" to disable autorun, or pick the apporpriate action to take if enabling autorun.
  5. Select OK.

And for Windows 7 see AutoPlay - Enable or Disable AutoRun - Windows 7 Forums

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#28)
mgol (Offline)
Official Member

Default 30-08-2010, 08:09

I did not realize that you meant the Windows AutoPlay option. This does not bother me (just one click to close the window). My main concern is that the branded software prevents executing the generic one. After running the generic 3G Watcher, I get a message "device in software installation mode" and nothing happens forever. Accidentally, I found a workaround. After clicking "Safely Remove Hardware" everything starts working. I am not happy with such workaround because I don't understand what is wrong ? I reinstalled, restarted, etc. Nothing helps. The connection is being established only after clicking "Safely Remove Hardware". Do you have any idea what's wrong ? Or just to accept it as it is ?

Old
  (#29)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 30-08-2010, 11:25

Do you still have the branded dashboard installed on your computer? I assume there's some background process from the branded dashboard, that prevents the unbranded dashboard from accessing your device properly.
Btw Vodafone Germany now sell the Huawei K3765-HV HSUPA-capable 3G stick (which I mentioned here before) for € 10 in their promotional offer, after their stock of the K3565-Z has been cleared. The new K3765-HV is unlocked and you can easily replace the Vodafone dashboard by a generic one from Huawei.

Old
  (#30)
mgol (Offline)
Official Member

Default 31-08-2010, 05:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Do you still have the branded dashboard installed on your computer? I assume there's some background process from the branded dashboard, that prevents the unbranded dashboard from accessing your device properly.

First, I indeed installed the generic over branded. Then, after encountering the above problem, I have uninstall it. Saying "it" I mean there was only one 3G Watcher in the list of the installed programs. After rebooting, I installed the generic software. Did not work. I did not clean registry or some sophisticated "cleaning" though.

Btw Vodafone Germany now sell the Huawei K3765-HV HSUPA-capable 3G stick (which I mentioned here before) for € 10 in their promotional offer, after their stock of the K3565-Z has been cleared. The new K3765-HV is unlocked and you can easily replace the Vodafone dashboard by a generic one from Huawei.
I would love to buy one, but I read somewhere I can't pay by a credit card and my addressee should pay in cash to the delivery service. I don't feel comfortable to ask my German friend about that. In addition, I think my Sierra is better because of the upload speed and external antenna. So, I will, probably, try to unlock it with a third party software (still trying to do it via my provider).

Tags
tchibo