PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
foosion (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 3 best for me? - 10-11-2012, 13:17

We're scheduled to travel to Rome and Firenze, staying for about 8 days. I usually don't use much data.

From reading the Prepaid DATA in Italy thread, 3 seems the best - I can get SuperInternet: 3 GB for € 5.00. Are there any other costs for this, such as to buy the SIM or activate it?

We're landing in FCO, then trains to Roma Termini and Firenze. We might not have much time in each place, depending on schedules. Are there places in the airport or Termini that sell 3 SIMs? If so, how long should it take to purchase?

Will the shop activate the SIM and data? I don't speak Italian, so voice prompts wouldn't work well for me.

Old
  (#2)
foosion (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 11-11-2012, 15:42

On further reading, I see 3GB/month means 100mb/day, which should be more than enough for me (absent tethering, which isn't allowed).

Other options are Wind Internet No Stop, 1GB/month for €9 and TIMxSMARTPHONE or TIMxSMARTPHONEMAXI.

TIM seems to charge €10 for a SIM with a €5 credit. What does Wind charge for a SIM? I haven't been able to find the cost, if any, for 3 or Wind SIMS (and, if so, how much of that is credit that can be used).

None of them charge for activation if activated at purchase.

Wind and TIM have the advantage of activating data by SMS instead of a call. They also allow tethering, although I doubt anyone can detect tethering.

Apologies if I'm asking frequently asked questions.

Old
  (#3)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-11-2012, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
We're landing in FCO, then trains to Roma Termini and Firenze. We might not have much time in each place, depending on schedules. Are there places in the airport or Termini that sell 3 SIMs? If so, how long should it take to purchase?
"3" shop at FCO. As for how long it will take, have you heard the joke about heaven and hell?

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 14-11-2012, 14:12

All Italiano MNOs sell prepaid cards at 10€ including 5€ of credit. Sometimes you can get better deals, but that's not the rule.
In Rome 3 should be fine, in Florence not the best, but still ok. Surely TIM, but also Wind, have better coverage, but all 4 operators are ok in big towns.
Wind has no shop at FCO, while at Termini station, or around, you should fine shops for all 4 operators, as far as I know.

And yes, they detect you at once if you do tethering and you pay it.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#5)
foosion (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-11-2012, 16:49

We'll mostly be in Florence, so 3 may not be the best if its only ok in Florence.

Wind would mean needing more than the 5€ credit that comes on the card.

What does wap-only navigation mean for Vodafone?

TIM sounds like the best for me. 250mb is more than enough. For an 8 day stay, if I get a SIM on the first day I could get 250mb for 2.50€ for the first 7 days, then again for the last day. If I get the SIM on the second day, I could get 500mb.

Does that sound right?

BTW, I also have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Great phone.

Old
  (#6)
foosion (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-11-2012, 20:04

Also, I see from another thread that TIM can take a long time to activate. Is there anything that can be done to speed this?

Do the other alternatives activate faster?

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-11-2012, 09:20

Usually it doesn't take long to activate, but it can happen. Same with Wind. AFAIK Vodafone sim-cards are active at once, but it's more expensive. No idea with 3.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#8)
foosion (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 15-11-2012, 12:24

What does "wap-only navigation" mean for Vodafone? http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/ital...html#post29427

Old
  (#9)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-11-2012, 15:42

"wap only" means mobile navigation only.
BTW take a look at this page which is more updated:
Prepaid data overview (Italy)

Old
  (#10)
foosion (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 17-11-2012, 02:44

Sounds like TIM is the way to go for me if 3 may not work as well in Florence. 250mb/week should be more than enough and I can re-up for the 8th day.

If we have enough time (trains every 30 minutes), I can get a SIM in Termini, otherwise in Florence

Many thanks Effendi.