PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#22)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-05-2010, 20:02

It may well be the case.

I don't have the E61i manual but everywhere, it shows "E" under the signal strength, which I believe denotes Edge signal.

That was the case down in Liguria inside my hotel room but when I went out to the terrace, the "E" went away and that's when my key worked and Wind EASY Connect prompted me for my SIM password.

But I found a Wind shop and they said it's UMTS coverage here, regardless of what my phone indicates (maybe the "E" means something else). The Wind coverage page indicated UMTS and HSDPA up here for the towns of Bellagio and Varenna.

I could lug my laptop to the shop but since I didn't purchase anything from them, I don't think he's going to help me that much.

In any event, turns out my hotel is letting me use the Wifi free. When I reserved it, they said it was 5 Euro an hour but the reception here is just giving me passwords and said they would not charge me.

So I don't have quite the impetus to find a working solution. However, I want to use this in future trips. Hotel wifi tends to be poor in speed and not as secure. When loading multiple tabs, many sites fail to connect.

Also would like to use iPhone as well, so a Mifi type of device may ultimately be the better solution. No need to deal with software and I wonder if the Huawei E1752 doesn't have as good a reception as my Nokia.

Failing that, maybe update to a newer unlocked Nokia or an Android phone which can run hotspot software.

I don't trust software which has to install drivers and kernel extensions. Some of the files in the framework which Mobile Partner installed seem to be some old open source headers.