Old
  (#11)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-12-2006, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Andy,

For reasons that escape me, I'm leaving Dubai for a week on your little Island at the end of the month. It must be: (a) the weather; (b) the prices; (c) Central London is so lively around Christmas; (d) the cooking; and, (e) I don't run into enough Brits in Dubai

I have an OVP Virgin SIM with about 60 quid in stored credit from a credit they gave me earlier in the year. Can I activate this option without giving up my ringfenced protection?
I don't know about Orange, but as I have one myself I'll ask

If not, I could send you a free Virgin SIM with £5 on it

Old
  (#12)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-12-2006, 20:53

I should have wondered about this before. Apparently it was added to my account a year ago without me knowing (they made a mistake and allowed OVP Virgin customers a phone upgrade). So I logged into my account online, and it's shown there

Good and bad news - it's a bit cheaper in UK: £3 > £1 /MB, but more abroad: £8 /MB - or you can sign up for a package; there seems to be a 4 MB free trial offer for the first month ...

http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Sat...=1137070320264

It looks like the 3g tariff is the same

I checked the phone has the settings and tried it: 'Temporary network problem' that evening, but working fine now ...

Old
  (#13)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-12-2006, 04:19

Thanks for the offer of the Virgin SIM. I sent you a PM with a UK mailing address for me. The address corresponds to family so you can send it at any time (e.g. it is not a hotel which can't cope when a package arrives significantly before a guest).

My OVP subscription is data enabled, but purely on a PAYG basis. I know it will do GPRS. I presume Orange has upgraded that net to EDGE, but I don't think the SIM is 3g enabled. I cannot log into my account here. I'm not a UK resident and couldn't get roaming activated.

I have a 3g datacard and am staying at a hotel which doesn't have in room internet. (Too many family members are decending on London this year for guestroom privileges. My wife and I have enough reward points that we decided that we would rather have a hotel room to ourselves than sleep in the bath tub or equivalent).

Old
  (#14)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 08-12-2006, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
In the UK, but not for roaming, Orange and T-mobile have ?1 a day data options on prepaid. Maybe similar offers in other countries ...?
T-Mobile 3G data works great for only UKP1/day. They have a softcap at 40MB/day but have been using over 200MB a day with no additional surcharges, warnings or limitations for the last 7 days.

TruPhone works like a charm over T-Mobile's UMTS network...

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#15)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 08-12-2006, 13:11

I can't find the Orange offer on their website, but I've definitely seen it mentioned elsewhere