PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 23-08-2006, 04:31

Since it looks like it may be a while before Yackie works out the kinks in their service, I've been looking around for alternatives. I noticed sim4theworld on one of the lists of international SIMs. Has anyone tried this SIM? It looks like they have quite a few free incoming countries, including three that interest me: Japan, Singapore and Mexico. However, I'm not sure how much faith I put in thier webiste. For instance an incoming call in Cayaman Islands is listed as UKP 1.16/min but an outgoing call to the US is UKP 0.15/min. This makes no sense at all and makes me wonder about the rest of their rates.

Old
  (#2)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 23-08-2006, 04:51

I was looking at this one also for the free Mexico incoming. The only reason I am a little curious is that this one along with Story Telecom and Freeglobalsim.com all seem to have similar rates before freeglobalsim changed theirs today on their website. So, I wonder if these are maybe all rebrands of each other. Anyone know for sure? On a side note, you will notice that the codes for checking voicemail, checking balance, refills etc are the same on all three cards, so I am thinking they are all the same, which means if freeglobalsim.com had to change their rates I am sure that the others will also.

Old
  (#3)
Jibku (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 23-08-2006, 07:50

Looks like Story is a CallKey rebrand : on their user guide, the image for the SIM is that of a CallKey SIM. This is confirmed by the fact that they use the same short codes, and by "USA CallKey Office" as a destination in the rates calculator.

Sim4TheWorld also have "USA CallKey Office" in their rates calculator and the same short codes.

I found other CallKey rebrands : Geodesa, MaxSIM, GlobalWirelessOne, Airello, Belkom, LongDistanceSIM, Simazing and former version of 0044. And of course, "the original".

King of SIM sold at call28.com also has the same short codes and "USA CallKey Office" in the rates calculator.

With FreeGlobalSIM, that makes 12 rebrands, and all of them have different rates for the same destination. Are they going to change "due to a new MTC call termination surcharge"?...

Old
  (#4)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 23-08-2006, 15:17

Well, I contacted Story Telecom and I asked them about it and they told me that they dont expect any rate changes, so unless they are being dishonest, they say they will remain the same, I wonder about the others. If Geodessa is a rebrand, I wonder why they dont yet have Mexico setup, I e-mailed them yesterday and they said that they are finalizing rates for Mexico, I am thinking if they are a rebrand then they should have already have had this done.

On another note, I received this e-mail from Geodessa in regards to Mexico and free incoming.

It is unlikely to be free to receive as the local networks have recently
put in place mobile termination charges (MTC) charges. These are
charges are levied against all operators to access the local network. If
other cards say they will not be charging it is likely to be because
they have not yet updated there sites/rates yet. Normally, only local
SIMs (Mexican) will access the network for "free".

There are no rates on the site for Mexico yet as they are being
finalised as mentioned in my previous email. However all our rates are
listed here http://www.globalsimcard.co.uk/ratecalc.htm

So obviously there are some additional charges coming.

Old
  (#5)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 23-08-2006, 23:15

They are all CallKey rebrands. It feels a little uncertain about variations in tariff, but I'd say this: CallKey said that the tariff is entirely at the discretion of the agent. On the increase to Simazing tariffs from 0044, 0044 said that it was the supplier's policy. I asked a few questions, and 0044 emailed CallKey to ask about this, and I had a confirmation that my tariff would remain at the original, as still shown on my account when logging in.

I suspect that top-up or renewal requirements are also set by the dealer. I've asked CallKey about renewal conditions, as 0044 are not selling it at the moment, but CK still say I should refer to 0044; I haven't checked yet.

Old
  (#6)
Jibku (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 24-08-2006, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I asked a few questions, and 0044 emailed CallKey to ask about this, and I had a confirmation that my tariff would remain at the original, as still shown on my account when logging in.
Looks like they've just changed their mind. I also have an "old" 0044 and, till a few days ago (last call was August 6th), I was billed at former 0044 rates. But I made a call today and found it more expensive than usually. I checked the billing : all the rates have been increased! They're not the same as CallKey, nor Simazing : just new (and higher) rates...