PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default My trip to Hamburg and London, some impressions - 13-12-2006, 10:05

At first I have to thank very much Chris (dg7feq) and Andy for providing me a Medion Mobile (Aldi) and a Virgin Mobile simcards which I used during my last trip to Germany and UK.

I spent 3 days in Hamburg and 1 day in London.
While in northern Germany I used the Aldi card on my old Siemens S55 (which my dad ruined quite a bit...). I must say I had some problems in dialing several times. The dialing time is always quite long and sometimes it didn't dial at all. Quality of the audio was also pretty bad almost anywhere, but that could be due to the S55 in not so good conditions.
Anyway I was not impressed by this MVNO... surely it's cheap but the quality seems to be quite low as well...

While in London I used the VirginMobile simcard on my SonyEricsson k600i. It was almost always on 3G, but most of the time the signal strength was very low and the phone was often missing it taking much time before getting some GSM signal. Quality was rather good, anyway. I didn't try any 3G feature.

That's all!

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#2)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default Re: My trip to Hamburg and London, some impressions - 13-12-2006, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi
At first I have to thank very much Chris (dg7feq) and Andy for providing me a Medion Mobile (Aldi) and a Virgin Mobile simcards which I used during my last trip to Germany and UK.

I spent 3 days in Hamburg and 1 day in London.
While in northern Germany I used the Aldi card on my old Siemens S55 (which my dad ruined quite a bit...). I must say I had some problems in dialing several times. The dialing time is always quite long and sometimes it didn't dial at all. Quality of the audio was also pretty bad almost anywhere, but that could be due to the S55 in not so good conditions.
Anyway I was not impressed by this MVNO... surely it's cheap but the quality seems to be quite low as well...
I think it was your handset regarding the bad voice quality. E-Plus usually has the best voice quality in germany.

The long dialing could be network overload.
E-Plus is gaining new customers very fast these days (as they have bunches ov MVNO's and also the only affordable UMTS flatrate card) and they already announced overload situations to be fixed within the next months as they invest more in network technology again.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#3)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 13-12-2006, 12:34

Yeah I think my old S55 must be retired, and anyway being with 3 phones was something unexpected, but I needed the one from the office (on the LG U8110, which I don't stand anymore as well), my personal one for data with WindPass (on the K600, on O2 DE 3G) and so I just had the S55 left for Aldi...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#4)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default Re: My trip to Hamburg and London, some impressions - 15-12-2006, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq

I think it was your handset regarding the bad voice quality. E-Plus usually has the best voice quality in germany.
But are you sure that they're using a direct E-Plus connection for their voicecalls? I'm asking that because I saw other networks (Tele2 Croatia, for example) using a VOIP service on another national partner... and the voice quality was really poor using a good network too.

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#5)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default Re: My trip to Hamburg and London, some impressions - 15-12-2006, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA
Quote:

But are you sure that they're using a direct E-Plus connection for their voicecalls? I'm asking that because I saw other networks (Tele2 Croatia, for example) using a VOIP service on another national partner... and the voice quality was really poor using a good network too.
totally sure. I used AndreA's SIM before i sent it to him for about half a year and always had perfect connection.
They all just use the "Free&Easy" platform from e-plus....

Chris

Old
  (#6)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default Re: My trip to Hamburg and London, some impressions - 15-12-2006, 10:58

Quote:
totally sure.
Well, so Effendi has a real bad handset

PS: AndreA's sim? :P

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#7)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default Re: My trip to Hamburg and London, some impressions - 15-12-2006, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA
Quote:
totally sure.
Well, so Effendi has a real bad handset

PS: AndreA's sim? :P
Damn, its friday afternoon... dont take my brain too serious after this week Effendi's of course.