PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Reliable callback wanted (Spain) - 08-12-2009, 21:16

Hi,

a friend of mine in Spain has a very expensive private landline provider (40ct/min).
There is no GSM/UMTS-coverage too and they don't have a PC access in that place.

Therefore we look for a reliable and cheap callback solution. English support appreciated. Any idea or experiences?

Old
  (#2)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 09-12-2009, 05:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eor9 View Post
Hi,

a friend of mine in Spain has a very expensive private landline provider (40ct/min).
There is no GSM/UMTS-coverage too and they don't have a PC access in that place.

Therefore we look for a reliable and cheap callback solution. English support appreciated. Any idea or experiences?
Where does your friend want to call? Which destinations?

Old
  (#3)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-12-2009, 09:19

Landline within Spain, spanish mobiles, Gibraltar, England mostly. Rest of the world sometimes.

Old
  (#4)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-12-2009, 10:34

Do a search here on the forum for callback and you will find some threads and providers mentioned.

Old
  (#5)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-12-2009, 11:54

I've done that esp the thread on pbxes.
My friend is an old lady, it must be a ***s i m p l e*** and reliable solution.
I need suggestions.

Old
  (#6)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 09-12-2009, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eor9 View Post
I've done that esp the thread on pbxes.
My friend is an old lady, it must be a ***s i m p l e*** and reliable solution.
I need suggestions.
Check with her telecom provider the costs for calling 902, 905 numbers. Those alow calls
to many worlwide destinations.

These are callthrough numbers. You dial the 902 number first and then the international destination (or spanish mobiles)

It is easy to use, even for older people

Old
  (#7)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-12-2009, 13:07

Thanks, that I will do, it is an additional way.
For her mobile I got her Betamax (dialnow.com, rynga.com) but this we cannot trigger from the landphone. But the rates are sooooo wonderful.....

Any idea how to trigger?

Old
  (#8)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 09-12-2009, 16:46

What landline provider in Spain charges 40c/min? I presume that the rate to call a spanish fixed line number? That is outrageous! Calling "fijos" in Spain is inclusive on almost all plans from all providers these days. (Even telefonica). So for most people, using the 91 gateway numbers of Betamax clones (e.g. Dialnow and Rynga) is a great way to make international calls for very cheap or in most cases free! I even use one of these for Spanish mobiles as through that I pay 5c/min to mobile but my line provider charges close to 15c/min. Still nothing close to 40 though!

Are you sure she is paying that? Is she living in a hotel or nursing home or shared private exchange? If so I really can't believe the skanky bastards who control the rates she has to pay. But if she owns the line, tell her she needs to change provider. If not she should get a new line installed. Its only around 12euros a month including free calls to landlines all over spain. I can give some advice for that! However I presume you have talked all this through?

Unfortunately, Betamax do not do callbacks that are triggered by a missed call and CLI. However there are a number of other providers with 0044 and 001 triggers. These are a bit of a pain though, as the number is long, and being International, sometimes the triggering call gets charged by a few seconds. I don't know why, but thats a problem on the Spanish end. As far as I know there are no triggers with Spanish DID's.

Old
  (#9)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-12-2009, 17:01

I will investigate, maybe she was not right. She told me that it's not possible there (it's a Finca near Ronda/Malaga) to get a "normal" provider, therefore she has to accept these apocalyptic rates of a special private provider.
The number is 952872xxx if that is of help to you.

Old
  (#10)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 09-12-2009, 18:14

The area code is right for the area. Corruption and fleecing of foreigners is a BIG problem down there. There is that general theory that you can tell an expat anything and it will be believed. Problem is that in so many cases that is exactly the case.

There are some local gated expat communities where instead of getting a normal telefonica line you get a private extension a bit like in a hotel. This still gives you an incoming number but there are some advantages like free calls within the compound and a personalised concierge. It is often falsely marketed as being better value especially if you will be away for long periods in a year like many expats will be in Spain.

As long as she proves that the property is hers (owned or rented) she can get her own private line put in! Of course that will not be the problem but the community will do anything in their power to stop this. Also it is highly likely that the fat cigar smoking and BMW driving president of the community, as well as the mayor of the village is in cahoots with Telefonica who will state that it is impossible to get a new line put in as the area is not cabled or some other excuse. Unfortunately Spain is Spain and corruption is still a disgusting problem.

But does she really not get any GSM signal on any of the networks? At least movistar should be there! Apart from a few offbeat farms and mountain refuges zero GSM coverage is almost impossible these days in most parts of the peninsula that have a few built houses. If she can get at least some signal, a GPRS trigger with the easy to use VOIP client from Voipbuster will be the best by far. You can set it up so that it permanantly dials her home number, and she can select her calling party from a small contacts list.