PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Cheap CDMA phone - 21-12-2007, 17:25

Looking for cheap and reliable CDMA phone working on CDMA 2000 1x, 800 МHz. Here in Europe is quite hard to get any of these. So seller should be able to ship phone for reasonable price.

Old
  (#2)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-12-2007, 18:41

Why do you want one?

These phones are nearly always carrier-locked, so the carrier with which you intend to use it is useful to know.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#3)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-12-2007, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Why do you want one?

These phones are nearly always carrier-locked, so the carrier with which you intend to use it is useful to know.
Thanks for letting me know. I don't have slightest idea how CDMA phones work as I thought that it uses SIM card as well. Looks like I will buy the hendset on the spot in Tiraspol, Pridnestrovie.

Old
  (#4)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 21-12-2007, 22:43

Some CDMA sets use SIM cards, but not the Americas ones which is the world's largest CDMA zone. Chinese and Indian CDMA phones use an RSIM (I think is the name) and are CDMA 850 compatible.

For example, look at the Asian version of the Nokia 6265:

http://www.myprodoktspace.com/prodok...kia-6265-(CDMA)

Last edited by Stu; 22-12-2007 at 00:07..

Old
  (#5)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 22-12-2007, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by meir View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I don't have slightest idea how CDMA phones work as I thought that it uses SIM card as well. Looks like I will buy the hendset on the spot in Tiraspol, Pridnestrovie.
Won't you have GSM coverage from right-bank Moldova? In another thread you told you are gong to be in Tiraspol and Bendery. Both cities are very close to the Moldovan-Moldovan border. Or, you care about indoor coverage, too? Then it may be a problem, I suppose...

Old
  (#6)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-12-2007, 04:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Some CDMA sets use SIM cards, but not the Americas ones which is the world's largest CDMA zone. Chinese and Indian CDMA phones use an RSIM (I think is the name) and are CDMA 850 compatible.
This is precisely why I prefer GSM. I can (and do) use whatever phone I like.

I should be shuddering at wanting to use my S-E K610i since it's not quad-band, but it works great here. I don't miss GSM 850 with it at all.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#7)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-12-2007, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog View Post
Won't you have GSM coverage from right-bank Moldova? In another thread you told you are gong to be in Tiraspol and Bendery. Both cities are very close to the Moldovan-Moldovan border. Or, you care about indoor coverage, too? Then it may be a problem, I suppose...
Yep but the locals wouldn't call me on my international number. This is the main issue.

Old
  (#8)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 22-12-2007, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by meir View Post
Yep but the locals wouldn't call me on my international number. This is the main issue.
So, just buy a Moldovan SIM. Are calls from PMR to Moldova international ones (or even barred)???

Old
  (#9)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-12-2007, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog View Post
So, just buy a Moldovan SIM. Are calls from PMR to Moldova international ones (or even barred)???
Rates for Moldovan numbers differ. They are much higher and sometimes is hard to get connection, but its not as bad as other way around. There was time when you could call PMR numbers from Moldova at all.

Old
  (#10)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-12-2007, 07:18

I called friend of mine.And was told the brand new phone are available for USD25 +. So price is not an issue.