PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
fiy123 (Offline)

Default Buying whole prepaid phones? - 07-03-2008, 12:46

Hey guys,

So im traveling to italy in a week and ive done extensive searching on the web but I still cant find the answer to my question

In the states I have verizon, therefore no phone I own will work on the italian GSM networks

Can you purchase a Entire prepaid phone package when in italy, Including the Phone and SIM?

I know in the U.S. you can buy a prepaid phone for about 60 dollars which includes the phone and SIM,

Is this offered in italy at the airports or any other small shops? and how much do they cost?

Will I also have to get a Codice Fiscale If i buy this package?

Thanks

Joe

Old
  (#2)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 07-03-2008, 13:22

Yes, you can. Some airports have them, some don't, otherwise there are company shops all over the place (though it would make sense to look up the addresses before you go to save time). Use the codice fiscale calculator to make one up, or if you want, go to any tax office and get a real one (takes 20 minutes if you're lucky).

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#3)
fiy123 (Offline)

Default 07-03-2008, 14:04

Thanks for the quick response, How many euros do they generally run?

Im just trying to figure out if i should pick u a GSM phone from chinatown nyc before I go and just get a SIM

since the dollar SUCKS

Thanks!

Old
  (#4)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-03-2008, 15:36

I'd recommend you get an unlocked quad-band GSM phone somewhere, perhaps locally before you go. That way you can use it on other foreign trips, and you can use it with T-Mobile and AT&T in the US if you want to.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#5)
fiy123 (Offline)

Default 07-03-2008, 17:26

So just to clarify,

I just got my Fsical Code and printed it out, when I go to buy a SIM/Phone I just hand them the entire printed out page or cut out the little card thing?

also if someone knew how much euro the pack with phone/sim is in rome that would be great!

Thanks again for all your help!

Joe

Old
  (#6)
Hank C Burnette (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-03-2008, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiy123 View Post
So just to clarify,

I just got my Fsical Code and printed it out, when I go to buy a SIM/Phone I just hand them the entire printed out page or cut out the little card thing?

also if someone knew how much euro the pack with phone/sim is in rome that would be great!

Thanks again for all your help!

Joe
Well,they need only the "fiscal code", no matter how you give it, usually they accepted it even if you do it by voice.

Sadly, the change euro/dollar really sucks, but if you want a basic phone, i belive you can find pack Sim+phone for about 75 $ (50 euros)

Back in Italy!
Prepaids:Wind (I) Blau (D) T-Mobile (NL) T-Mobile (D)
Deceased Prepaids:1 Mobile (I) Ortel (NL) Orange (F) Lebara (UK)

Old
  (#7)
fiy123 (Offline)

Default 07-03-2008, 17:51

Alright good stuff, Looks like im going to be running around the next week trying to find one in the states, thanks again guys.

Old
  (#8)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 07-03-2008, 18:31

Consider that most phones you get at cheap prices (40-80 euros) are usually dual-band, i.e. you won't be able to use it in the US. I think that you could look for a quad-band on eBay or some cheaper market in the US.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#9)
fiy123 (Offline)

Default 07-03-2008, 18:46

Yea im specifically asking the stores that I ask if they are Quad Band, Im not going to buy a phone that I can only use overseas.

So far not alot of luck, the only one that I found in stock near me in brooklyn was a nec e132 which wont work in the US lol

Old
  (#10)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-03-2008, 19:50

Inexpensive and quad band:

Motorola RAZR V3
Motorola V551

The V3 is a nice little phone. Should be easily available for under $100 now.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.