PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
jd0716 (Offline)

Default ITaly - 09-07-2009, 18:27

Hi, first post. I am not very up to date on technology. We will be traveling to Italy for about 3 1/2 weeks. I would like to have cell phone and data service to call home and do some work using the internet. I currently don't have a cell phone that will work there. I looked at renting a Blackberry through Vodafone, with unlimited data service, which will cost me approximately $235 U.S. with shipping. However, phone calls seem to be expensive going through Vodafone. I also saw that there is a plan through TIM (I believe) with 100 hours of internet for 25 Euros, which seems very reasonable to me. What is my best option for celll phone and internet? SHould I buy a phone and SIM card here or wait until I get there and buy everything? I am really stressed out about this.

Thanks for the help.

Old
  (#2)
maccoy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 15-07-2009, 09:07

Did you see "3" offers?
I think they are more interesting...

Prepaid
I: Vodafone, Wind, 3; F: Bouygues Telecom; M: Melita; INT: Travelsim, Zeromobile.

Old
  (#3)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-07-2009, 09:17

Buy everything there. You can, of course, also use hotspots for internet access.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#4)
maccoy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 15-07-2009, 11:20

And where are you heading to?

Prepaid
I: Vodafone, Wind, 3; F: Bouygues Telecom; M: Melita; INT: Travelsim, Zeromobile.

Old
  (#5)
italy-bound (Offline)

Default 16-07-2009, 19:09

We're going to Rome in about a week. I worried about all this stuff too. I just need the sim card (I have an unlocked phone). I decided to get a WIND sim card after I get there. I'll try to post a summary of how it goes after I get back. (I just need voice, not data)...

Veni, vidi, vici... Italy, here I come.

Old
  (#6)
a-mac (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 19-07-2009, 23:01

Are the details on this website current?

Italy - TIM - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access
Italy - Wind - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access

Which is best for Sardinia?

Can the pre-paid SIMS be used in a dongle (internet key), or are they for mobile phones?

TIM: I think the Maxxi Alice 30 (30 Hours for 15 €) will be enough as I'm only in Sardinia for 7 days. So I read this as 30 hours of internet with unlimited MBs. Is that right?

If not that one, then Maxxi Alice Day: Max 90 minutes at one day, counting 15 minutes, 3€, which I understand to mean 90 mins a day for 3€ but it's not clear on the how-to of top-ups.

Also when, for example, it says you activate by texting PRO MAXXIALICE30 to 4916. Can the text be sent from any mobile phone or does it have to be a phone with the TIM sim in it? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm just wondering how it works.