PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 22-12-2006, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asick View Post
Oh, I hope some dealers will sell it in Krakow too. I see there are only 2 "Salony firmowe", so if this is too far from my hotel it would be impossible to get such the SIM so I'd buy Tak Tak instead. Anyway, this is similar to what we have here (5-10 "operators' offices" here and lots of dealer shops), but dealers sell anything an operator can offer.
I'm almost sure that you won't have to go necessarily to "Salon firmowy" . Just print the list of points of sales and when you arrive just select the closest location. BTW, this list is not very up to date. E.g. about 3 weeks ago I saw a lot of iPlus SIMs in Media Markt in Lublin, but Media Markts are not listed on http://www.iplus.pl/punktysprzedazy.html.

Quote:
No, you didn't get what I meant. Look, more subscribers use GPRS at the same time less free channels are remaining, so it produces some delays and might even collapse during peak hours. So, I was asking if the Plus network was built and organized well enough to support that extra GPRS usage or not. Here, for example, we had 10$/month unlimited traffic offer from Beeline 2 years ago, and by the end of this offer their GPRS almost got dead.
OK, you mean exceeding the network capacity. It shouldn't happen in any network because currently there are no really unlimited data/voice offers here. There are "unlimited" data plans in postpaid tariffs but they have built-in "fuses" - after exceeding 100 MB, 500 MB, 1 GB or so within a month the transfers falls to "impressive" 8kb/sec. Of course, it doesn't apply to New Year's night when mobile networks are overloaded in all types of services: voice, data and even SMS.
BTW, there's another easy alternative for internet access in Poland - old good dialup. It requires just a modem and a landline. You set username and password to ppp and dial 0202122 and you're connected to the internet - the access fee is included in the connection fee. The price of the service depends on the landline tariff plan - usually it's about 0.36 PLN/3 min peak hours 8-22 and 0.36 PLN/6 min off-peak 22-8. Of course, hotel surcharges will make those rates higher but by no more than 100%. From the hotel you should dial 0,0202122 (where the "leading 0" is the "exit code" to city lines).
The connection speed may be up to 57.6 kb/s (V.90 standard).

Old
  (#22)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 24-12-2006, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog View Post
BTW, this list is not very up to date. E.g. about 3 weeks ago I saw a lot of iPlus SIMs in Media Markt in Lublin, but Media Markts are not listed on http://www.iplus.pl/punktysprzedazy.html.
Yes, I understand the list might be a bit outdated, however I believe most of the info is still correct there, so it will help.

Quote:
Of course, it doesn't apply to New Year's night when mobile networks are overloaded in all types of services: voice, data and even SMS.
Oh, yes, I know it and I do not plan to GPRS during the New Year night. It's interesting that here we used to have complete network collapses during such the nights in 2001 or 2002, while it was generally OK in 2005 or 2006 (were able to call from 2nd or 3rd attempt and so on), I guess that's because they had to expand the number of BTSes and channels due to the number of users raised in times, so it helps during peak usage too.

Quote:
BTW, there's another easy alternative for internet access in Poland - old good dialup.
Well, this might be useful, especially for downloading some huge amounts of data. I plan to use the Internet mostly with low traffic (ICQ, short E-mails), but dialup would be good for sending some photos, greeting cards or even may be Skype or SIP. That's where it gets cheaper than GPRS and more preferrable from the technical point of view (lower ping and no delays). The only problem that it's still unclear how much money the hotel would take for it. I hope it would not be 2-3 initial rates... You say it's less than 100% surcharge, is it what you actually know or just guessing?

MegaFon RU * MTS RU * Tele2 RU * BeeLine UA * TIM IT * Globul BG * Etisalat EG * TravelSIM * T-Mobile MNE * iPlus PL * TIM GR * Telsim TR

Old
  (#23)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 24-12-2006, 23:44

Quote:
Yes, I understand the list might be a bit outdated, however I believe most of the info is still correct there, so it will help.
Addresses in my area seem to be OK, so I think they are moreless OK for the rest of the country .

Quote:
Oh, yes, I know it and I do not plan to GPRS during the New Year night. It's interesting that here we used to have complete network collapses during such the nights in 2001 or 2002, while it was generally OK in 2005 or 2006 (were able to call from 2nd or 3rd attempt and so on), I guess that's because they had to expand the number of BTSes and channels due to the number of users raised in times, so it helps during peak usage too.
I think that the situation is getting slowly better also here. However, landlines are much more reliable in this psecific time .

Quote:
The only problem that it's still unclear how much money the hotel would take for it. I hope it would not be 2-3 initial rates... You say it's less than 100% surcharge, is it what you actually know or just guessing?
In hotels (low/medium class) in which I stayed in 2005 and 2006 the surcharge was about 33-40% It might be expressed as the cost of a "billing impulse" (which is enough for 3 min local call/dialup) is let's say 0.50 PLN whereas the same "impulse" from a home line would cost 0.36 PLN. I recalled that there may be another problem - the phone cable may be permamently (i.e not via plugs) attached both to the wall and the phone itself . OTOH there may be Internet access in the hotel via the internet or WiFi, but it's still not very likely.

Old
  (#24)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 25-12-2006, 13:45

Quote:
I think that the situation is getting slowly better also here. However, landlines are much more reliable in this psecific time .
Here I can't say landlines are reliable since overload is quite common during the New Year night at many landline local switches, especially old mechanical ones that still exist here. So, it depends.

Quote:
I recalled that there may be another problem - the phone cable may be permamently (i.e not via plugs) attached both to the wall and the phone itself . OTOH there may be Internet access in the hotel via the internet or WiFi, but it's still not very likely.
WiFi might be very useful but I agree it's not very likely in my case. I'm not planning to stay at 4-5 star hotels, and I don't think it's common to have WiFi spots at 3 stars in Poland, right? And the locked cable... well, a phone might have a plug of the same type for a handset or something similar, so there might be a trick etc., but I do not plan to destroy the hotel equipment with a screwdriver and a soldering iron. Hope the plugs will be where they should.

MegaFon RU * MTS RU * Tele2 RU * BeeLine UA * TIM IT * Globul BG * Etisalat EG * TravelSIM * T-Mobile MNE * iPlus PL * TIM GR * Telsim TR

Old
  (#25)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 25-12-2006, 16:07

Quote:
WiFi might be very useful but I agree it's not very likely in my case. I'm not planning to stay at 4-5 star hotels, and I don't think it's common to have WiFi spots at 3 stars in Poland, right? And the locked cable... well, a phone might have a plug of the same type for a handset or something similar, so there might be a trick etc., but I do not plan to destroy the hotel equipment with a screwdriver and a soldering iron. Hope the plugs will be where they should.
Well, as to WiFi, it might laso be possible so that you could catch a public hotspot through the window.
My brother who lives and works in Wrocław told me recently that they were waiting for a cable internet connection in their office and, until the cable would be connected, they catch the signal from a public hotspot and share it in the office network .
Destroying a hotel phone is really not a good idea . Moreover, if the hotel surcharge were about 100% or more (but I doubt it) and you have a HSCSD capable phone, you might consider using Sami Swoi HSCSD at 0.24 PLN/min (speed up to 43.2 kb/sec).

Old
  (#26)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 26-12-2006, 13:11

Quote:
they were waiting for a cable internet connection in their office and, until the cable would be connected, they catch the signal from a public hotspot and share it in the office network .
What a nice situation! Don't they often allow any connections from aside? This is strange for me, here are some home or office WiFi nets too (I see at least one except of my own at home, for example), but it's usually WEP encrypted and/or MAC address filter blocked.

Quote:
Moreover, if the hotel surcharge were about 100% or more (but I doubt it) and you have a HSCSD capable phone, you might consider using Sami Swoi HSCSD at 0.24 PLN/min (speed up to 43.2 kb/sec)
I have at least one HSCSD compatible phone , so this might be useful too. Anyway, dialup is more easy to set up etc., you just plug in your notebook and dial. Also, it's a bit more speedy if your phone line is clean enough.

By the way, it seems I'll arrive on 29th at Warszawa Centralna railway station and will have some free time there. As I can see, there's a Plus Salon Firmowy at Al. Jerozolimskie 65/79, which is in fact right opposite of the railway station. However, I see the huge Mariott/LOT skyscraper is located at this address too. Is this information correct? Have you ever been at this Salon? Where is it actually?

Old
  (#27)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 26-12-2006, 19:39

:By the way, it seems I'll arrive on 29th at Warszawa Centralna railway station and will have some free time there.

Don't, the station is horrible and will hopefully be demolished in the next few years (although it has some fun shops in the basement). If you really have time on your hands, go to the old town (15 minutes walk) or go up the PKiN and enjoy the view.

:As I can see, there's a Plus Salon Firmowy at Al. Jerozolimskie 65/79, which is in fact right opposite of the railway station. However, I see the huge Mariott/LOT skyscraper is located at this address too.

It's in the shopping center underneath the tower. Go through the underpass from the station to get there. Should be easy.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#28)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 26-12-2006, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
:By the way, it seems I'll arrive on 29th at Warszawa Centralna railway station and will have some free time there.

Don't, the station is horrible and will hopefully be demolished in the next few years (although it has some fun shops in the basement).
In fact, there are worse one but, at least in theory, it's the "country's main station" and should be better.

Quote:
If you really have time on your hands, go to the old town (15 minutes walk)
Old Town is more than 15 minutes walk, especially with luggage.
Quote:
or go up the PKiN and enjoy the view.
PKiN is Warsaw's tallest skyscraper built 1952-1955 as a "gift of the USSR for Poland". It's similar to its "brothers" in Moscow (like Lomonosov University) - I don't think it's a big attraction for a Russian . And the ticket costs 20 PLN (over 5 euro, http://www.pkin.pl/taras_widokowy/) - I think it's not worth the price unless the weather is perfect. Moreover, the day is short now...

Quote:
:As I can see, there's a Plus Salon Firmowy at Al. Jerozolimskie 65/79, which is in fact right opposite of the railway station. However, I see the huge Mariott/LOT skyscraper is located at this address too.

It's in the shopping center underneath the tower. Go through the underpass from the station to get there. Should be easy.
Yes, a few minute walk. And they surely accept Visa, Visa Electron, MasterCard and Maestro cards (just in case if you didn't have Polish cash yet).

Old
  (#29)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 26-12-2006, 20:58

Quote:
What a nice situation! Don't they often allow any connections from aside? This is strange for me, here are some home or office WiFi nets too (I see at least one except of my own at home, for example), but it's usually WEP encrypted and/or MAC address filter blocked.
It's just a free public hotspot for tourists so that they could use their laptops, palmtops ot wifi phones

Last edited by Przemolog; 26-12-2006 at 21:08..

Old
  (#30)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 27-12-2006, 11:52

Quote:
In fact, there are worse one but, at least in theory, it's the "country's main station" and should be better.
Why don't you like it so much? It has tracks hidden under the ground, which is not that bad itself, while other railway stations occupy much space around because of the tracks. Honestly, I almost don't remember Warszawa Centralna, but it didn't look THAT horrible for me.

Quote:
Old Town is more than 15 minutes walk, especially with luggage.
Well, how do you call it? Let me recollect... Przechowanie bagazy? I believe it should be at the station. Anyway, I visited Warszawa 4 or 5 times in 90s so I actually know how to go to the Old Town and for how long. I guess Old Town is a good idea waiting for a connection to the Krakow express, I'll have 4-5 free hours there.

Quote:
PKiN is Warsaw's tallest skyscraper built 1952-1955 as a "gift of the USSR for Poland". It's similar to its "brothers" in Moscow (like Lomonosov University) - I don't think it's a big attraction for a Russian .
Yeah, it's that old 'Stalinist' architecture that I'm used to. We have no such buildings in St.Petersburg (just some lower and 'normal' Stalinist buildings), but Moscow has enough. Have Poles ever considered the idea of demolishing this building?

Quote:
Yes, a few minute walk. And they surely accept Visa, Visa Electron, MasterCard and Maestro cards (just in case if you didn't have Polish cash yet).
Oh, VISA/MC is a great idea, I prefer it over cash. Nevertheless, I believe a KANTOR will be near too.