PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 12-12-2006, 11:57

So, the only data solution for a foreigner is still iPlus simdata, right? I will possibly be in Poland by New Year and really wonder what I'll be able to buy since 29th till 31st. Will be the dealer shops open in Warszawa and Krakow on that time?

And what's about SMS? You wrote here 'national SMS'. Is it common practice to add some extra price for outgoing international SMS in Poland?

MegaFon RU * MTS RU * Tele2 RU * BeeLine UA * TIM IT * Globul BG * Etisalat EG * TravelSIM * T-Mobile MNE * iPlus PL * TIM GR * Telsim TR

Old
  (#2)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 12-12-2006, 17:12

[quote="Asick"]So, the only data solution for a foreigner is still iPlus simdata, right?

If you care much about prices, the answer is "yes". Otherwise, any SIM will be OK :P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asick
I will possibly be in Poland by New Year and really wonder what I'll be able to buy since 29th till 31st. Will be the dealer shops open in Warszawa and Krakow on that time?
29th (Friday) is a regular working day - dealers are open until 18:00 or 19:00, in shopping malls until 20:00-22:00.
30th (Saturday) - dealers are open 10:00-14:00 or 15:00, in shopping malls until 20:00-22:00.
31st (Sunday) - "standalone" delares are closed, in shopping malls until 15:00-16:00 (at most 18:00).

Quote:
And what's about SMS? You wrote here 'national SMS'. Is it common practice to add some extra price for outgoing international SMS in Poland?
Unfortunately, yes. I haven't sent the recent update to Effendi yet, but rates were rates also in Plus. Now international SMSes cost 0.61 PLN from any SIM prepaid or postpaid . The only exception is POP from Orange - still 0.20 PLN but nobody knows how long. OTOH, any MMS incl. international from Plus/Sami Swoi is only 0.40 PLN - strange but true

Old
  (#3)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 13-12-2006, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog
If you care much about prices, the answer is "yes". Otherwise, any SIM will be OK :P.
Sure I care about prices. I'll take my laptop and will write many E-Mail greetings with pictures attached. Actually I do not care about voice (I'll use TravelSim) but SMS and data are quite important for me. The problem is that using roaming I will spend about 1 Euro per each 100 kb with MegaFon, which is crazy.

Quote:
31st (Sunday) - "standalone" delares are closed, in shopping malls until 15:00-16:00 (at most 18:00).
Well, it's not that bad except for 31st, hope I'll be able to arrive earlier.

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes. I haven't sent the recent update to Effendi yet, but rates were rates also in Plus. Now international SMSes cost 0.61 PLN from any SIM prepaid or postpaid .
It's still better than roaming but it's not what I'm used to. I'd use SmsBug instead but it does not allow Cyrillic (and any unicode), so it's still a problem for me. Does someone know a similar service that works with Unicode?

Quote:
OTOH, any MMS incl. international from Plus/Sami Swoi is only 0.40 PLN - strange but true
You mean it's cheaper to send an MMS than an SMS? Anyway, I bet it's impossible to send an MMS from a Polish network to a Russian network (any), so SMS is the only solution.

MegaFon RU * MTS RU * Tele2 RU * BeeLine UA * TIM IT * Globul BG * Etisalat EG * TravelSIM * T-Mobile MNE * iPlus PL * TIM GR * Telsim TR

Old
  (#4)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 13-12-2006, 12:20

Quote:
Quote:
Sure I care about prices. I'll take my laptop and will write many E-Mail greetings with pictures attached. Actually I do not care about voice (I'll use TravelSim) but SMS and data are quite important for me. The problem is that using roaming I will spend about 1 Euro per each 100 kb with MegaFon, which is crazy.
10 EUR/MB - well, in such case any Polish SIM will be much better - even Simplus and Sami Swoi is 6.10 PLN/MB.

Quote:
It's still better than roaming but it's not what I'm used to. I'd use SmsBug instead but it does not allow Cyrillic (and any unicode), so it's still a problem for me. Does someone know a similar service that works with Unicode?
If you don't want to write Russian in the Latin alphabet there's a problem.

Quote:
OTOH, any MMS incl. international from Plus/Sami Swoi is only 0.40 PLN - strange but true
You mean it's cheaper to send an MMS than an SMS? Anyway, I bet it's impossible to send an MMS from a Polish network to a Russian network (any), so SMS is the only solution.[/quote]
Yes, it's cheaper. There used to be a similar offer in Era Tak Tak - international MMS and MMS in roaming for 0.40 PLN (whereas SMS 0.61 and 1.95, respectively). You're right about sending MMSes from Plus to Russia - it's impossible

Old
  (#5)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 13-12-2006, 13:45

Quote:
10 EUR/MB - well, in such case any Polish SIM will be much better - even Simplus and Sami Swoi is 6.10 PLN/MB.
Yes, sure, so I'll buy any local SIM if I have no choice (arriving too late etc.). Is GPRS always preactivated on Polish SIMs or do I have to activate it manually? It would be no problem to do that if there's some info in the Polish manual attached to the SIM, but it would be a problem if I have to call the support. Do they write APNs and other settings in the manuals attached?

Quote:
SMS in Russian with the Latin alphabet used were popular 5-6 years ago when many phones did not support Cyrillic and when long SMSes were not supported either (you can get only 70 chars/SMS using Unicode instead of 160 using Latin). Now... well, I can send SMS this way, but it would be a sort of bad style, especially when you write to a girl.

Quote:
You're right about sending MMSes from Plus to Russia - it's impossible
How many networks does Plus support to send international MMS into?

Old
  (#6)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 13-12-2006, 14:06

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, sure, so I'll buy any local SIM if I have no choice (arriving too late etc.). Is GPRS always preactivated on Polish SIMs or do I have to activate it manually? It would be no problem to do that if there's some info in the Polish manual attached to the SIM, but it would be a problem if I have to call the support. Do they write APNs and other settings in the manuals attached?
?
GPRS is preactivated on Orange, iPlus and Tak Tak. It can be turned on easily (via USSD) on Simplus and Sami Swoi. The worst problem is with Heyah because it requires activation either via www or via customer care (1 PLN/min ). GPRS configuration detailes are not listed in manuals (perhaps besides iPlus, but not sure at the moment). Anyway, I can prepare you details (anyway I should do this for PPGSM) but please tell me the deadline - I'm rather busy before Christmas . You may call the support of course, but AFAIK there's no English support in Heyah and Sami Swoi and no Russian (or any language other than Polish and English) in any network. Even if the employee knows other language, he/she is probably prohibited of using it by corporate regulations :P.

Quote:
Quote:
SMS in Russian with the Latin alphabet used were popular 5-6 years ago when many phones did not support Cyrillic and when long SMSes were not supported either (you can get only 70 chars/SMS using Unicode instead of 160 using Latin). Now... well, I can send SMS this way, but it would be a sort of bad style, especially when you write to a girl.
I see .

Quote:
Quote:
You're right about sending MMSes from Plus to Russia - it's impossible
How many networks does Plus support to send international MMS into?
Three : Voda Germany, O2 Czech and T-Mo Slovakia.

Old
  (#7)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 13-12-2006, 14:38

Quote:
GPRS configuration detailes are not listed in manuals (perhaps besides iPlus, but not sure at the moment). Anyway, I can prepare you details (anyway I should do this for PPGSM) but please tell me the deadline - I'm rather busy before Christmas .
Yes, I understand how you are busy, I'm busy too, even though the deadline at work happens here a week later. I'm leaving on 28th or may be on 29th, so if you are able to prepare the details by that time it would be perfect. Anyway, I'm going to read the Polish operators' sites too, there are many things that I can understand.

Quote:
Even if the employee knows other language, he/she is probably prohibited of using it by corporate regulations :P.
Yeah, it's most likely. Anyway, I don't like calling supports itself, and I especially don't like to call them in foreign languages some of them that I do not know.

Quote:
Three : Voda Germany, O2 Czech and T-Mo Slovakia.
Well, half of the neighbours are covered, well done!

Old
  (#8)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 13-12-2006, 19:59

Quote:
The worst problem is with Heyah because it requires activation either via www or via customer care
Heyah GPRS is not that difficult to activate via WWW. Besides, anyone who is going to use Heyah has to fiddle with it at the beginning to join the Heyahklub (to get 10 percent extra on topups), which is a no-brainer. It's possible that if you get your SIM at a Heyah Island (small sales booth in a shopping mall) they might activate GPRS for you, but I wouldn't count on it.

Heyah is presently an excellent value for GPRS, for several reasons:

1) 2x promotion. Until 31.1.2007, new users who top up for the first time get their credit doubled. (Note: Join the Heyahklub FIRST, you'll still get 10 percent extra as well.) Existing users must first top up with 20 PLN or more, and then the second topup within 5 days is doubled (up to 400 PLN).
2) Megapaczka (Megapack) - GPRS packet and discount in one. Monthly fee 5 PLN for 5 MB, and, after using the packet, 0.10 PLN/50 kB (50% off the regular rate). One of the cheapest data rates anywhere.
3) Heyahklub, as mentioned. Everyone should join, it takes two SMS to do so. Amount of credit increases by 10 percent each time you top up.
4) UMTS. Heyah now works with it, even though they don't tell you this. UMTS is not available everywhere, but should work in most major cities.

So putting all of this together, if you get a 5 zloty SIM (with 4 zloty credit), join the Heyahklub, and then top up with (for example) 50 zloty (wait until after you get the Heyahklub confirmation), you'll have 4 + 50 + 5 (10% bonus) + 50 (2x bonus) = 109 zloty credit for 55 Zl. Then activate the Megapaczka with *110*1*1# - it costs 5 Zl, and includes 5 MB traffic; that's 10 zloty for December and January. After that, you'll still have 99 zloty to spend on calls and data; at the Megapaczka rate of 0.10 Zl/50 kB, or just under 25 MB of data if you don't call anyone. In total, 35 MB of data transfer for 55 zloty (about 15 euro).

It makes the annoyance of logging onto the Heyah Selfcare website to enable GPRS worthwhile.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#9)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-12-2006, 12:00

This arguments about Heyah seem to be reasonable, but it's web activation is generally a problem for a foreigner. Just imagine, I arrive in Poland and buy a Heyah SIM. Then, I'm supposed to activate it's GPRS via WWW, right? HOW? Yes, I may use my laptop and my home SIM with GPRS roaming, but... how much the hell would it cost? Heyah's site is full with Macromedia Flash, which makes the activation to be very expensive from this point of view, also there's a problem with activation from mobile phones supporting WWW browsing (WWW but not Flash). So, I guess Heyah would be MUCH more interesting if they allow USSD activation. Yes, you may say just go to an Internet club and activate it there, well, it's not a good idea to be looking for such a place while you have no such a problem with a SIM from another operator.

Meanwhile, I'm reading the operators' sites and I still have some things that I'm not perfectly sure about (the rest is generally easy to understand).

1. What's the ERA APN? I've found it to be erainternettt for Internet/GPRS and Tak Tak tariff while it's different for other tariffs. Is it normal for ERA to have a separate APN for each tariff?

2. How to check the balance with ERA? It seems it's *101# but I'm not sure.

3. How to check the balance with Sami Swoi? *125# or *110# via their menu? I don't perfectly understand what *110# does and what for the menu is used. Also, where *105*20# does set English language, I mean in which place?

4. How to activate GPRS on iPlus Simdata? Isn't it preactivated in fact?

5. How should a foreigner buy a SIM in Poland? What is needed? Is it necessary to fill up a registration form, to show them your passport etc.?

Old
  (#10)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 15-12-2006, 13:52

Quote:
This arguments about Heyah seem to be reasonable, but it's web activation is generally a problem for a foreigner. Just imagine, I arrive in Poland and buy a Heyah SIM. Then, I'm supposed to activate it's GPRS via WWW, right? HOW? Yes, I may use my laptop and my home SIM with GPRS roaming, but... how much the hell would it cost?
Heyah's site is full with Macromedia Flash, which makes the activation to be very expensive from this point of view, also there's a problem with activation from mobile phones supporting WWW browsing (WWW but not Flash)
You may use Heyah CSD 0.60 PLN/min - I know that is expensive anyway .

You can bookmark the link to the login page http://heyah.pl/34e501b4db3c97d6952361c00c343604
in order load it directly and turn Flash off - the settings page is in HTML.

Quote:
. So, I guess Heyah would be MUCH more interesting if they allow USSD activation.
Yes I agree it's pretty stupid

Quote:
1. What's the ERA APN? I've found it to be erainternettt for Internet/GPRS and Tak Tak tariff while it's different for other tariffs. Is it normal for ERA to have a separate APN for each tariff?
That's right - Tak Tak has a separate APN.

Quote:
2. How to check the balance with ERA? It seems it's *101# but I'm not sure.
Yes, *101# is for checking the balance of the main credit
and *102# is for checking the balance of EraUnits subcredit (cheap minutes to Era, Heyah and landlines convertible to SMS to Era and Heyah)

Quote:
3. How to check the balance with Sami Swoi? *125# or *110# via their menu? I don't perfectly understand what *110# does and what for the menu is used. Also, where *105*20# does set English language, I mean in which place?
All what I say below is about both Sami Swoi and Simplus.
Well, *125# is check for expiration date only.
With balance the matter is a little bit more complicated.
"Out-of-the-box" SIMs are preactivated on the "old platform" what means that they use AoC and the balance is hidden down in the menu and sometimes on the display (permamently or during/after the call only). Not all phones are compatible. It's better to switch to the "new platform" at once via *101*11*99#. On the "new platform" you check the balance via *100#. *110# is an interactive USSD menu which gathers together all the USSD functions. However, there may be some problem with interactivity on some phone . *105*20# is a setting of English in messages returned via USSD commands (but some of them may not be translated). To set English in the voicemail prompts, you must call the voicemail number and wait for something like "For English press 2".

Quote:
4. How to activate GPRS on iPlus Simdata? Isn't it preactivated in fact?
AFAIK it is - but I must ask my brother who uses it every day.

Quote:
5. How should a foreigner buy a SIM in Poland? What is needed? Is it necessary to fill up a registration form, to show them your passport etc.?
Happily nothing - you ask, you pay, you take

My thought is that if you care most about data and not about voice calls, then Tak Tak would be OK (if you won't be able to iPlus of course).
GPRS is preactivated (even it weren't, status check is *132*2# and activation is *132*2*1#). Then you have two options: default pricing 1.44 PLN/MB (not bad but in 500kB increments ) or Omnix Max option (activation *132*7*1#) 5 MB in a month for 5 PLN and later 2 PLN/MB in 50kB increments.
Until 31st Jan your first top up >=20 PLN will be doubled (just like in Heyah). The downsides of Tak Tak vs Heyah are non-free voicemail and voice calls to Russia for 2.81 PLN vs 1.70 PLN (a little less than Travelsim).