PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
SporkLover (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 14-11-2009, 18:46

I'll be in Germany for two weeks this December, and I have been searching this forum for the best deal on a pre-paid sim for dialing local, the US, and for data (I use data tethering for my laptop).

It appears to me that Fonic is the best case. One thing I am not certain of that I hope the forum can assist with; is a German Bank Account # required for sign up?

I am a terrible traveler, and I have not done my due diligence to learn the language of the host nation, so I am a little lost when surfing the Fonic webpage.

Appreciate your help

Old
  (#12)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 14-11-2009, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
I'll be in Germany for two weeks this December, and I have been searching this forum for the best deal on a pre-paid sim for dialing local, the US, and for data (I use data tethering for my laptop).

It appears to me that Fonic is the best case. One thing I am not certain of that I hope the forum can assist with; is a German Bank Account # required for sign up?

I am a terrible traveler, and I have not done my due diligence to learn the language of the host nation, so I am a little lost when surfing the Fonic webpage.

Appreciate your help
Hi, they have a english website with the most important information as well: FONIC -- 9 cent/min. for calls to Europe and the USA

So you only need a german bank acct if you want to buy the card online. If you buy them in the store (e.g. Lidl supermarket or dm drugstore) you dont need it as you pay cash. You need a german adress to register the card though - which could be for example the one of your hotel.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#13)
Schlips1 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 15-11-2009, 18:02

Hi,
it is a little bit confusing with FONIC:

- To buy hardware (Sim / Sim + Stick) & to register
You may get the Sim the best at a Lidl store. The other retails may have them - or not. Sometimes they even offer the package with an USB-stick (simlockfree, works even with ATT). You may get the stick at MediaMarkt, too.
You just pay the price for the Sim / Sim + Stick. Be reminded: Even at MediaMarkt they usually do not make the registration. So you have to make on your own, by phone or via Internet (because it is required by law). Then your Sim will be activated.

- to top up
You may get them at Jet- (Conoco) gas stations, at DM or Müller drugstores ... BUT not at Lidl stores!! O2 (and FONIC) vouchers itself do not expire, so they may be used in the far future. To pay with a credit card, the best place may be the drugstores or gas stations (MediaMarkt for example does not accept credit cards).

Old
  (#14)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 15-11-2009, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlips1 View Post
Hi,
Sometimes they even offer the package with an USB-stick (simlockfree, works even with ATT).
Be careful! Fonic does not longer sell the Huawei E160 (which supports 3G at 850 and 1900 MHz), but now they offer the smaller Huawei E161, which soley supports 3G at 2100 MHz, so it won't work on American 3G networks at all. There are still Huawei E160s in the store shelves (e.g. at MediaMarkt), but if you order directly online from Fonic, you're very likely to get the E161.

Huawei E160: Huawei E161:

Quote:
- to top up
You may get them at Jet- (Conoco) gas stations, at DM or Müller drugstores ... BUT not at Lidl stores!!
My local Lidl store definitely sells Fonic top up vouchers.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#15)
SporkLover (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 16-11-2009, 01:23

Thanks everyone

Inquisitor, thanks for the tip. I have a HTC Touch Pro 2, it is a Quad Band GSM compatible, and 2100mhz UTMS. I use it for tethering and data access so I should be covered

Old
  (#16)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-11-2009, 09:02

If you buy a Fonic SIM separately (without USB-modem) be aware, that it won't have the dayflat tariff (€ 2.50/day) preactivated, but data will be billed by volume (€ 0.24/MB). If you want to use the dayflat, you need to contact customer care and request a tariff change, which will take effect while speaking to the agent. If requested by eMail or the contact form on Fonic's website, expect 2-3 days for your eMail to be read.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#17)
SporkLover (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-12-2009, 14:45

Well, activating the card was a little more challenging than I originally thought. I am a bad visitor, I cannot speak or read my host country's language. I had to feel my way through the activation website with Google Translator.

On the bummer side it takes 2-3 hours for the phone to start working.......... still waiting.

Old
  (#18)
SporkLover (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-12-2009, 19:50

Hmmmm. Need some assistance if anyone is familiar with Fonic . Are there any procedures I have to follow to activate data services on my Handy Pre-Paid Sim? I have voice working without an issue, however, it will not make a data connection; it keeps giving me errors with dialing #777

Old
  (#19)
SporkLover (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-12-2009, 20:44

Found my own answer.

I am using a HTC TP2, CDMA with World Phone Capabilities.

On a day to day basis my phone is set to automatically dial data connection using CDMA radio. I had to add a new connection for GSM/GPRS, and tell Windows to auto-pick the data connection based on the Radio I was using.