PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Viva (Offline)

Default [Italy] Holiday - Currently best value for Money SIM (Data/iPhone) ? - 17-05-2008, 23:40

I'm going on Holiday soon to Italy and after finding this site (a little too late possibly) I am still none the wiser as to which SIM card provides the best value for money in terms of "net" connectivity ..

My intention is to use roughly 20 minutes per day (or more) for general browsing/email/etc.. over a period of two weeks. I have read the 'sticky' on "Wind" - but am not sure if this is good value or not as I presume that the iPhone can eat data up quite quickly.

Any ideas?

I already have a "Vodafone.IT" sim from last year but believe this would not offer any good value for data-rates inside the country.

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 18-05-2008, 14:43

As I told you in the other thread, Wind is by far the best operator to use with the iPhone.
I'd go with the Wap No Limit offer (250MB for 3 eur) or the Mega1500 (500MB for 8 eur). The Wap No Limit is by far more convenient by the way (don't be mislead by its name, it's not just for wap).

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
elistoughton (Offline)
Official Member

Default 23-05-2008, 20:47

I signed up for the timed Wind data option. Does anyone know what I should do to make sure that it doesn't keep tacking off time even when I'm not using the iPhone. Because the iPhone will continually check for email and so on.

Also, I'm planning to try to pair my iPhone and laptop if possible. Anybody have any advice or instructions for that .

Thanks

Mobile - iPhone
SIM - T-Mobile USA * T-Mobile D * T-Mobile UK * Wind (it) * Vodafone Cz * Beeline Санкт-Петербург * APUA PCS (Antigua)

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 25-05-2008, 16:54

Totally bad idea with the iPhone. Add a per KB data plan (Wap No-Limit is perfect and just for 3 euros), not one with timed option, it's a disaster with the iPhone.

Pairing the iPhone with your laptop is very easy and not different from when you are in the US. Just change the APN to "internet.wind", no user name or password is needed.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#5)
elistoughton (Offline)
Official Member

Default 25-05-2008, 18:09

yea, in hindsight, I'm not sure if the timed plan was a good idea. If I end up getting a dongle or pairing the iPhone then it might be.

I thought that pairing the iPhone to a laptop to use EDGE required some hacking .. at least from what I've read.

Mobile - iPhone
SIM - T-Mobile USA * T-Mobile D * T-Mobile UK * Wind (it) * Vodafone Cz * Beeline Санкт-Петербург * APUA PCS (Antigua)

Old
  (#6)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 26-05-2008, 07:42

If you know how to pair it in the US it's exactly the same here in Italy. Honestly I don't have an iPhone so I don't know how it works, but I suppose there's a software for your laptop, Windows or OSX, which does all the job. You just have to select "internet.wind" as the APN.

BTW "timed" options are never good since they work in 15 minutes increments. The only good one is the brand new offer by 3 called "tre.dati Time", by now only available for postpaid users, but soon it will be available on prepaid too (3G only, BTW).