PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
TheMadBrewer (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 08-06-2006, 05:39

I've tried to get an answer from Virgin but their web enquiry form doesn't work for me and I even tried faxing but I can't seem to get thru to their fax number

I purchased two Virgin SIMs (with GBP 5 airtime) that my father and I will use when we travel to England this summer. I would like to setup (or at least enable) the voice mail while we are still in the US so we can leave messages for each other if our flights are delayed. I'd also like to do this without burning up the airtime credit (at GBP 1.50/min it wouldn't take long!)

Currently, if I call the number with the phone turned on it rings. If I call when the phone is turned off I get a pleasant "We are not able to connect your call" (in a British accent so I assume it is from Virgin)

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Whole bunch of SIMs, mostly dead, some still working...

Old
  (#2)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-06-2006, 14:49

You can ONLY setup VM from the handset (you have to dial 222). So, either you burn up the minutes, or just wait till you get to UK where it will be free. (VM access is free in UK).

Here:
http://www.virginmobile.com/mobile/user_gu...mail_guide.html

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#3)
TheMadBrewer (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 08-06-2006, 17:47

Thanks. I actually called Virgin Customer Service in the UK this morning. The man there assured me setting up the voice mail was a free call, even from the US. Well, of course it wasn't and I'm down to ?1.90 airtime

Next I find out if you want to top up with a credit card, it has to be a UK credit card

The ?1.90 should be plenty for my dad -- he can retrieve any voicemails I leave him for free

Live and learn

Whole bunch of SIMs, mostly dead, some still working...

Old
  (#4)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-06-2006, 18:10

Yes. Most of them will only accept UK issued CC. I have always bought topups on ebay-UK(never boght anywhere else), usually for less than than the value of the topup. The seller will just mail you the #. Of course, topping up/balance check is free from here. The last three 20 pound topups I bought only cost me 14 pounds each. You can't beat that if you ask me.

Here are some topups: Actually the seller I bought mine from still as some for 14 pounds.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll...p-up&category0=

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile