PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default Orange in the USA? - 01-09-2007, 11:31

I was just reading the following page: http://www.roaminginfo.de/html/orange_in_usa_.html -- it says:

"On the left are two images made in my hotel room near San Francisco airport. Curiously, alongside Cingular, the British Orange network (network code 234 33) could also be picked up on GSM 1800. Neither this frequency nor this net is expected here. It is unclear why this could be received and used.

Here are a few more views of the Orange network from the monitor mode. There is only one cell, broadcasting at 720 in GSM 1800.
A British Orange card that I happened to have with me displayed no "R" in the roaming indicator, meaning it was on the home network.
On the right is the screen during a connected call.

The images were made on 14 and 15 August 2005 in a room at the Hampton Inn, 300 South Gateway Blvd, South San Francisco, CA."

I've no idea what that was all about, but it could be

a) possibly a field test of GSM 1800 using a "real" network or

b) an extraterritorial Orange station for the use of UK airline staff (On the German-Polish border, for example, you can pick up Vodafone and TMO from Polish towers in the areas where the German border patrol works, such as Rzepin; however, it's 15 km from the border, not another continent, and the same frequencies.)

c) a hoax of some sort, either by the site owner (which seems unlikely) or someone playing around with GSM testing equipment and letting people place phone calls

d) a yet undocumented weather issue that allows the signal from a single tower to bounce halfway around the world and allowing the recipient's signal to bounce back to exactly the same location

e) a possible Orange in-flight GSM system on a parked aircraft that this person was able to pick up.

Of these, I think b and e are possible, though I've heard nothing about either one, and a is a faint possibility.

Any ideas?

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Last edited by Motel75; 01-09-2007 at 11:41..