PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
btburger

Default 10-05-2006, 19:09

I've looked at all the global SIM cards and for most countries in Europe at least, the GeoSIM card from Geodesa (www.globalsimcard.co.uk) looks like the best. It has low rates (about 40% less than the next-best that I've found), 30/6 billing intervals, no connection charge, $5 top-up minimum, etc., which more than make up for its relatively high initial purchase cost. It seems to have agreements with several carriers in most European countries, so presumably it has good coverage. They've been quick to answer my questions via email.

A few people have mentioned GeoSIM here but not as much as some other cards. Is it really as good as it sounds? Is there a catch?

(I'll be traveling in Austria, Italy, France, and Spain.)

Bruce
Seattle, WA, USA

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 10-05-2006, 19:51

I think the SIM is interesting and recommended it to someone who travels to Europe, the UK, and the Phillipines.

The problem is (contrary to the add), UK mobiles are more costly to call than Lichtenstein mobiles and Icelandic mobiles. If I was a brit, I might use this SIM, but I cannot ask people to call Liechtenstein, Estonia, Iceland, or the United Kingdom. I map a US number to the SIM and eat the cost both ways. Lichtenstein is cheaper than the UK. There are things about the SIM I like and I will bookmark it.

Incidentally, while Lichtenstein numbers might go up, I think that carriers will also learn the difference between the IOM and the UK. Since I, however, own the DID I have people call and control the mapping, people won't have to cope with my changing providers in midstream.

Stu

Old
  (#3)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-05-2006, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
The problem is (contrary to the add), UK mobiles are more costly to call than Lichtenstein mobiles and Icelandic mobiles. ... I map a US number to the SIM and eat the cost both ways. Lichtenstein is cheaper than the UK. There are things about the SIM I like and I will bookmark it.
There isn't a lot in it - 15c to the Isle of Man number is possible, or if you are willing to use a UK 0844 callthrough number as well, then maybe 7 or 9c

Old
  (#4)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-05-2006, 21:56

I have bought a few Geodesa SIM cards for our company. I am happy with service. If you have time drop email to Ed Neal of Geodesa. He is owner and really nice chap. BTW I am not getting any commission from him. :blush:

Old
  (#5)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 11-05-2006, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
There isn't a lot in it - 15c to the Isle of Man number is possible, or if you are willing to use a UK 0844 callthrough number as well, then maybe 7 or 9c
Who do you use for the 15cent route? The best route I've got to a UK mobile is 18c (US) a minute and the carrier is not one hundred percent reliable.

Old
  (#6)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 11-05-2006, 03:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Who do you use for the 15cent route?? The best route I've got to a UK mobile is 18c (US) a minute and the carrier is not one hundred percent reliable.
www.voipfone.co.uk - they have slightly differing rates for the UK networks; O2 (incl IoM numbers) is the cheapest at 8.4p = 15c, to T-mobile at 12.1p, and 3 is more

I've used their call forwarding and callback with this SIM - you can pay as you go, ?5 at a time. You can point at your SIP address with them

If you can program forwarding with paused dialling (I don't know if this is possible), or brief people to call your forwarding number then the UK mobile, then 0844 numbers can be called via Voipfone for 5p/min, and these include callthrough numbers that reach mobiles.

Old
  (#7)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 11-05-2006, 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
I think the SIM is interesting and recommended it to someone who travels to Europe, the UK, and the Phillipines.

The problem is (contrary to the add), UK mobiles are more costly to call than Lichtenstein mobiles and Icelandic mobiles.
Then you are lucky.
If called from germany (i am talking of direct dial, not callback or other sweet tricks) we pay up to 40ct/min to the Liechtenstein Premium-Rate numbers and just 11-15ct to UK-mobiles.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#8)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 11-05-2006, 08:06

Hence the value of global information sharing (and VOIP)

Old
  (#9)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 11-05-2006, 12:55

To Andy: I have account with voipfone.co.uk. What isnbest way to trigger callback from Geodesa number? Only resonable ( by cost) I found by SMS. But with current increase of SMS price, I am looking for other way. May be you know a few tricks more? Thanks in advance. :umm:

Old
  (#10)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 11-05-2006, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by meir
I have bought a few Geodesa SIM cards for our company. I am happy with service. If you have time drop email to Ed Neal of Geodesa. He is owner and really nice chap. BTW I am not getting any commission from him. :blush:
Meir, do you have a full price list of Geodesa services?
I mean something a table or an online calculator.
Do they use the same rates as 0044/Simazing?

http://www.globalsimcard.co.uk/save.htm

We will be putting an interactive "call cost calculator" here soon so you will be able to see our rates between any two countries...but rest assured our rates are considerably cheaper than your current operator's, and remember you will not be paying to receive calls in most countries!

This sounds to me as if they wanted to hide something :unsure: