PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
lomolobo (Offline)

Unhappy iPhone 5 wont tether on TIM (apn: ibox.tim.it) - 14-10-2012, 18:43

I've got an iPhone 5 with a TIM prepaid SIM. I added the Internet 42.2 option to my SIM, I was told it was not possible in the store and by SMS but it was possible on the 119 Self Service | TIM site. I have tethered the iPhone with the Personal Hotspot feature over WiFi using the APN wap.tim.it and TIMxSmartphone plan that was free with my SIM as a promotion, but that only has 250MB/week. I change the APN to ibox.tim.it and 119 Self Service | TIM shows that I am now using data from my Internet 42.2 option, but the Personal Hotspot is feature is now disabled on my iPhone and tells me to call TIM for activating it.

Anyone know how to get this fixed? I don't really speak Italian so calling TIM doesn't sound like fun.

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-10-2012, 10:54

Uhm, that sounds problematic.
You cannot tether with the wap APN, you must use the ibox.tim.it
But I have no idea about how the iPhone 5 works. With android or Windows Phone smartphones there's no problem in setting a web APN.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
lomolobo (Offline)

Default 15-10-2012, 18:51

Hmm indeed. Do you think I can go to the TIM store and have them swap the accounts on my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 SIMs? This way the Internet 42.2 would be on my iPhone 4 where I know it works for tethering. Or perhaps they can move the Internet 42.2 from one number to another?

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 16-10-2012, 13:36

No, surely they cannot move the option from one number to another. But cannot you simply use the simcard with the Internet 42.2 on the iPhone4? No need to ask help to TIM, I suppose.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#5)
lomolobo (Offline)

Default 17-10-2012, 10:37

I can cut the iPhone 4 SIM smaller, but I cannot make the iPhone 5 SIM bigger to go in the iPhone 4.

Old
  (#6)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 17-10-2012, 11:00

Oh, f*****g Apple... but you can get an adapter at bigger phone shops...