PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#61)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 19-08-2012, 00:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I'm about to buy one Fonic sim from Amazon, but, before buying, I've got a few questions: how many days the delivery of the letter takes?
Deutsche Post claims letters to arrive in Italy within 2-4 days.

Quote:
Does that letter contain any important activation info?
The confirmation letter that will be sent out after activation does not contain any relevant information except for confirming your personal data.

Quote:
Can I tell Fonic that I'm a visitor in advance, or do I have to wait until they block my sim?
No, you can't. The smoothest way is to register the SIM with a hotel's or other accomodation's address where the postman will assume that the recipient is a guest and so will deliver it instead of returning it.

Are you actually aware that Fonic offer a cheaper tariff under the brand of "Lidl"? The only problem is that there are no other resellers besides Lidl supermarkets.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#62)
gardengrrl (Offline)

Default 19-08-2012, 05:20

Hello, I am new to this forum and have found the information here quite helpful. I am traveling to Mannheim for business in September. I will have an unlocked iPhone 4S, and I am interested in purchasing a prepaid SIM that I can use for voice calls as well as data. The Fonic option is appealing and it seems like the coverage will be good. If I am understanding what I've read, I should expect to pay € 9,95 for the card and will get a € 10 credit with that, which I can apply to the data and voice calls. I will only be in Germany for about 6 days total. If I want to top up, I can purchase vouchers around town for a minimum of € 20. Should the € 10 credit be sufficient for my week in Germany? If incoming calls are free, I was thinking it would make sense to associate the German telephone number with my Google Voice account, then my family in the U.S. can reach me with the U.S. number and it will use the data instead of the voice minutes. I should also be able to make outgoing calls through Google Voice, I believe.

Is it possible to purchase the Fonic SIM card prior to arriving in Germany and have it shipped to me in the U.S.?

Regarding the need to provide a German address for verification, I have colleagues in Germany, so I would think I could use the address of someone I know to ensure that the mail does not get returned to Fonic so that my card will not get blocked.

I have a travel companion joining me and we will be arriving on different airlines at approximately the same time. I was hoping to have everything set up properly in advance of arrival so that we would be able to communicate by telephone once we arrive at the airport to make arrangements to meet up.

Does it sound like I have understood all of this correctly? Please let me know if I've missed anything or if I am confusing the details.

I really appreciate any advice and all of the great information on this site!

Kind regards,
Angie

Old
  (#63)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 19-08-2012, 11:40

Hehe, the problem is that I'll be in an apartment, and I don't think the postman will deliver the letter, or that I'll have the keys of the mailbox.

Old
  (#64)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 19-08-2012, 11:44

Actually you don't need access to the mailbox as the letter does not contain any information of relevance. You could solve the problem by temporarily attaching your name to the mailbox, so the letter can be delivered.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#65)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 20-08-2012, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengrrl View Post
Is it possible to purchase the Fonic SIM card prior to arriving in Germany and have it shipped to me in the U.S.?

Regarding the need to provide a German address for verification, I have colleagues in Germany, so I would think I could use the address of someone I know to ensure that the mail does not get returned to Fonic so that my card will not get blocked.

I have a travel companion joining me and we will be arriving on different airlines at approximately the same time. I was hoping to have everything set up properly in advance of arrival so that we would be able to communicate by telephone once we arrive at the airport to make arrangements to meet up.
It's not just for verification, but I believe many German networks will not send to an address outside Germany, so perhaps you can ask those contacts to obtain and forward SIMs for you.

Old
  (#66)
123456 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 20-08-2012, 18:03

Found this message on Twitter:
Quote:
We reviewed your account and found that our welcoming letter got returned. If this happens your card automatically gets blocked to prevent your data from abuse. Please send an email with your FONIC number, your current address and first three characters of your password to: facebook.fonic@brand-affairs.de We will then unblock you SIM card as soon as we can!
Best Regards, Johanna / FONIC team
Maybe usefull for somebody?

Old
  (#67)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 21-08-2012, 00:41

That's basicly what I reported on the previous page, but the email address you shared may be useful anyway. Pretty unprofessional to use and publish an email address with a PR agency's domain by the way. Couldn't they at least set up an alias (e.g. facebook@fonic.com) that would be forwarded to the PR agency instead?

Old
  (#68)
onopko (Offline)

Default 30-08-2012, 15:06

Hi! A quick question that I haven't seen in the forum. I have a Fonic SMART activated. How can I know how much have I used from the 500 mb? The usage goes from 1st to 31st of each month, right?

Thanks in advance!

Old
  (#69)
123456 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-08-2012, 17:42

The Fonic website says it is 1 month use from the day the Flatrate was activated:
Quote:
Die 500 Freieinheiten inkl. Internet Flatrate stehen ab dem Tag der Buchung/Verlängerung 1 Monat zur Verfügung. Ein Monat bedeutet z.B. 27.4. bis 27.5.
Sie erhalten eine SMS nachdem Sie mehr als 300 Frei-Einheiten verbraucht haben und kurz bevor die Frei-Einheiten ganz aufgebraucht sind.
Or maybe have a look at Mein Fonic?

Old
  (#70)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 30-08-2012, 20:59

There's no way of checking your data usage. You will just receive a text message shortly before you reach the throttling threshold and another one once throttling applies.

Tags
fonic, germany