PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default iRoam (ex Telna) - 17-12-2016, 14:20

I still have my Telna SIM active, mostly because G3/iRoam hasn't charged me anything, so far. One issue I'm dealing with is that I've been unable to send or receive texts ever since iRoam took over and they seem to be incapable of solving the problem and/or actually providing service to customers who have problems. Their level of service seems to be far below that which Telna provided. They killed off Telna's WiFi calling and SIP addressing, which was one of TelnaMobile's major benefits. OTOH, they seem to be able to roam AT&T, at least in areas where there's no T-Mobile signal. It appears that one of the SIM's IMSIs can roam AT&T but it's not preferred. I once booted the phone up and it locked onto AT&T but later switched to T-Mobile and wouldn't switch back.

Overall, I haven't see any reason to recommend iRoam but as I say, they haven't charged me anything yet. So, I'm keeping it for now.

Old
  (#2)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-01-2017, 01:07

The story continues. Apparently, iRoam's tech support has been unable to find a way to make my TelnaMobile SIM send and receive texts. So, with no warning, on 12/22 they mailed me a new SIM and deactivated my old one. I learned that the old one was no longer active when I turned the phone on on Dec 28th and found it didn't work. The new SIM arrived today. It does not work. When I called iRoam customer service the rep was perplexed as to why this might be. He questioned my phone, etc. Eventually I asked him to read me the SIM s/n associated with my line. What he read differed by one digit from what was printed on the SIM. He had no idea how to fix this. Now I'm supposed to wait for a call from tech support to solve this problem.

I'm keeping with this mostly for the comic relief. So far, iRoam has proven to be one huge Charlie Foxtrot. The only good thing is that it hasn't cost me anything.

iRoam has much less going for it than Telna did. They are just a basic roaming SIM. They don't have Telna's WiFi calling, SIP addressing or STK ability to trigger calls between two landline phones.