PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default TalkAbroad? - 07-03-2007, 21:00

This appears to be a Manx brand that was mentioned this week, I am told, in the Wall Street Journal. I don't subscribe, so don't know anything more. Reason it was in the WSJ was they are co-branding with National Geographic.

...mike

P.S. This must be a UM rebrand. Has a +423 number assigned to it.
Rates are higher than those shown on UM's own site.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Last edited by snidely; 07-03-2007 at 21:41..

Old
  (#2)
unlocked (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default TalkAbroad - 08-03-2007, 20:24

Here's the link: http://www.cellularabroad.com/. Has UK numbers, not Liechtenstein. Looks like $.90US/min from most of Europe, higher elsewhere like most of the competitors. WSJ says Nat'l Geographic just lends it name, presumably for a piece of the action.

Old
  (#3)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-03-2007, 22:22

I called them and they said it was a Lichtenstein number. (They spelled the country name wrong below-)
I was confused because I think I saw somewhere else on their site that it was a UK number.
BTW, what day did the WSJ carry the article?

...mike

This from web site:

Detailed Features
Info & Rates Chart
Activation
Recharges
Service Life
Coverage

Priced at only $59.00

Make and receive calls in over 100 countries! View List
The Talk Abroad™ International SIM Card offers the convenience of having one cell phone number allowing you to make and receive inexpensive international calls from your cellular phone. The Talk Abroad™ International SIM Card features a prepaid calling plan with a Liecthenstein phone number and it allows you to roam in over 100 countries worldwide, including all of Europe and most of the world's popular travel destinations. It has an initial talk-time credit equal to 30 minutes of outgoing calls (in Zone 1). Additionally, every incoming call in just about any Zone 1 country is FREE!! No other prepaid SIM card offers this kind of value!

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#4)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 10-03-2007, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
I called them and they said it was a Lichtenstein number. (They spelled the country name wrong below-)
I was confused because I think I saw somewhere else on their site that it was a UK number.
This one is a kind of UM-based SIM:
http://www.cellularabroad.com/cellAbroadppsc.php
I think it's not just a simple UM rebrand since zones are different. OTOH the info may be out of date - e.g. I can't see coverage in Estonia.

And NG-branded product is here:
http://www.cellularabroad.com/travelphone2.php.
This page says:
Your Phone Number:
You will have a UK phone number, regardless of where you are traveling. Your phone number will be clearly marked on the packaging.

When you check the coverage ("Received in/Calling from" pulldown lists), you'll find no coverage in Belarus, Moldova, Macedonia and Liechtenstein what is a "feature" of Manx SIMs.

BTW, it's pretty funny to look at their Balkan coverage. Bosnia and Herzegovina are separate countries and Yugoslavia still exists, and this under the NG brand

Old
  (#5)
deiraq (Offline)

Default UK number? - 10-03-2007, 17:18

Sorry if this is pedantic. Some of the Manx operators advertise as offering UK numbers. But the Isle of Man is not part of the UK!

And if the number offered is really a Manx mobile number then it will be expensive to call from a UK mobile.

Old
  (#6)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 10-03-2007, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiraq View Post
Sorry if this is pedantic. Some of the Manx operators advertise as offering UK numbers. But the Isle of Man is not part of the UK!
Of course, it isn't. Not even a part of EU/EEA/NATO, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiraq View Post
And if the number offered is really a Manx mobile number then it will be expensive to call from a UK mobile.
...both IoM and Channel Islands use 44 country code and calling their phones from not-44 numbers usually costs the same as calling UK numbers .
If a Manx SIM is "targeted" to non-UK customers (like NG Travelphone, Telestial Passport or Ekit seem to be US-oriented and globalsim.net is mainly for the Germans ) then (from the point of view of those countries) +44 7624/7924 numbers are just UK mobile numbers...

Last edited by Przemolog; 10-03-2007 at 20:16..