PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default Different call rates to US/Canada mobiles Vs Landlines - 25-06-2007, 18:12

How can this be possible? Since we do not really differentiate between mobiles and land lines. They are the same areacode and cost the same to call for any other provider that I am aware of. For example to call a US mobile is $1.96 and only $0.05 for a landline.

http://www.freeglobalsim.com/callrates.asp

So, they must have some kind of (very extensive list) that tells them which is which, and they have to build it into how they charge. Have not really testted this since they posted their new rates.

May be someone that knows a little more about how these things work can explain how the rates can be different. The guy (Travis) at freeGlobalsim says he is just going by what rates the carrier they are using told them.

OTOH, it costs only $0.05 and $0.38 to call UK landline and mobile respectively. Similar for all other Western Europe countries. So, if this is true, it's a good card to call back to Europe use for folks visiting the US from Europe.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#2)
myonlymobile (Offline)

Default Correct rate? - 25-06-2007, 18:51

Bossman, can you confirm that you are actually charged only $0.05 to call UK landlines from USA with FreeGlobalSIM? If so, that is cheaper than most USA-based prepaid cards! I have a feeling that rate is incorrect, especially since they are charging $1.63 to receive calls in USA.

Old
  (#3)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-06-2007, 19:05

I think it's wrong too. But, as I mentioned I have not tested it, but Travis at freeGlobalSim said it's correct. Since it's not listed on their call rates, I made a call to my UM sim and was dinged $2.80. I had my UM sim with me and it did not connect or ring. Anyway....

Out (SIM) 13079816 22-Jun-07 22:47 United States [USA] 423663009XXX USSD 447624129XXX US$ 2.80
From United States [USA] 447624129XXX 0:00:09 US$ 1.9100
To 423663009XXX 423663009XXX 0:00:09 US$ 0.890

Quote:
Originally Posted by myonlymobile View Post
Bossman, can you confirm that you are actually charged only $0.05 to call UK landlines from USA with FreeGlobalSIM? If so, that is cheaper than most USA-based prepaid cards! I have a feeling that rate is incorrect, especially since they are charging $1.63 to receive calls in USA.

Old
  (#4)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 25-06-2007, 23:08

I have noticed for quite some time many sites give diff. rates for U.S. land v. cellular. I assume that' because their rate calculator programs automatically add a figure to land rates to come up w. cell rates. Obviously there is no diff. in rates.

Hmm. Just occurred to me that maybe they can tell if a number is a cell. I think you can still make collect calls to landlines - but never could to cell.

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#5)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-06-2007, 23:15

I know, how an there be different rates....

As expected, the listed rates before they put in this new change were the same.

Old
  (#6)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 26-06-2007, 06:12

US mobiles do not charge incoming fees to the caller. It looks as if it is a generic pattern to add rates to cell phones. The question on how to diefferentiate them still remains though.

Old
  (#7)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 26-06-2007, 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by prion View Post
US mobiles do not charge incoming fees to the caller. It looks as if it is a generic pattern to add rates to cell phones. The question on how to diefferentiate them still remains though.
to differentiate them would not be too difficult. The databases of the network show to which network a number belongs. This is essential to make the routing of the calls. A friend of mine showed me his database from the cellphone provider. He can clearly see if a number is a Cingular or a landline even if they are in the same area code.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#8)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-06-2007, 10:59

Actually, there are several websites out there that will tell you which carrier a wireless number belongs to (Not acurate because of number portability). It will also indicate if it's not a mobile number. But the bottom line is, there should be no difference in rates. And freeGlobalSim's calculator is probably incorrect.

Old
  (#9)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 26-06-2007, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
It will also indicate if it's not a mobile number. But the bottom line is, there should be no difference in rates. And freeGlobalSim's calculator is probably incorrect.
The same feature is in the 09's calculator - they add 20 eurocents/min on top of any call to USA or Canada mobiles .
BTW, freeGlobalSim's calculator doesn't show mobile rates to Monaco either => no calls to Hop and Kosovo?

Old
  (#10)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 26-06-2007, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Actually, there are several websites out there that will tell you which carrier a wireless number belongs to (Not acurate because of number portability). It will also indicate if it's not a mobile number. But the bottom line is, there should be no difference in rates. And freeGlobalSim's calculator is probably incorrect.
of course there should be no difference. I guess here in Europe we are so used to more expensive calls to mobiles that they just try their luck at several carriers and add a mobile surcharge also for US/Canadian mobile numbers.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9