PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default Poland: Carrefour Mova - 1st "supermarket MVNO" :-) - 08-04-2008, 08:44

The 5th MVNO is about to launch in Poland (probably on 9th Apr). It's the first "supermarket" MVNO brand in Poland (prepaid only). It will run on Plus network. According to rumours, basic rates will be 0.49 PLN/min national calls (of course 1/1 debiting no setup fee), 0.20 PLN national SMS. The starter will cost 9.99 PLN with 20 minutes credit. SIMs and top-ups will be available only in about 360 Carrefour supermarkets countrywide. Extra minutes to Mova and landlines will be available for participants of "Rodziynka", the Carrefour Poland loyalty program. 1 PLN is about 0.29 EUR now.

http://www.carrefourmova.pl/ - as of today, it's a teaser only - the slogan says: "Get ready for advantageous connections!".

About the name of the brand. It's sounds a little bit like Spanish Carrefour Movil, but I think it's an accidental similarity. "Mova" seems to me as misspelled "mowa" which is Polish for speech, talking, oration, language, dialect (depending on the context). There's no "parallel" Champion brand like in Greece since about a year ago all the Champion supermarkets here were rebranded to Carrefour Express. And the "1 Mobile" name like in Belgium/Italy would be rather weird in Polish .

Last edited by Przemolog; 08-04-2008 at 09:57.. Reason: some data completed

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 08-04-2008, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog View Post
And the "1 Mobile" name like in Belgium/Italy would be rather weird in Polish .
why, would it be weird in Polish? Some bad word?

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 08-04-2008, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
why, would it be weird in Polish? Some bad word?
Oh, no! Really "bad name brand" here is e.g. Osram which means moreless "I will shit (on something/somebody)" .

The problem is rather semantical. "Mobil" or "mobile" are not "valid" Polish words and they don't "match" well with "true" Polish words. Here I assume that "1" in "1 Mobile" would be pronounced in Polish and then "1" would translate to either "first" or "one". Both versions sound pretty strange and it's not clear what they really mean .

Old
  (#4)
ms93 (Offline)
Official Member

Default 09-04-2008, 21:00

http://www.carrefourmova.pl/pliki/Ce...gCPTelecom.pdf - there's pricelist od Carrefour Mova.
The funniest thing is that this offert haven't GPRS and MMS services...

Old
  (#5)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 09-04-2008, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms93 View Post
http://www.carrefourmova.pl/pliki/Ce...gCPTelecom.pdf - there's pricelist od Carrefour Mova.
The funniest thing is that this offert haven't GPRS and MMS services...
Well, iPlus simdata doesn't have roaming and voicemail and Sami Swoi has horrible rates for GPRS and SMS but they sell much better than all these niche MVNO SIMs .

The problem with Mova is that the national rates 0.49 PLN/min and 0.20 PLN/SMS aren't any unusual, especially when consider that cheaper on-net and landline calls are available only via converting loyalty points and (until 7.07) bonus on regular Carrefour purchases. Moreover, as usual with Polish mobile tariffs, international calls are horribly expensive and international SMS break the common 0.61 PLN level - it's 0.65 PLN here . I'm really surprised why mobile operators don't care about the fact that millions of Poles live abroad and they leave the market of international calls to calling cards, 0708 callthroughs services and VoIP....

The only rate Mova is the best on the Polish mobile market is... the rate for satellite phones - 8 PLN/min to Australia Mobile SAT, Global Region 882 MCP and Thuraya. Oh, I already see thousands of typical Carrefour cutomers calling to satphones . That is really funny to me.

BTW, the first price list published by telix.pl (http://www.telix.pl/images/taryfy/mova_cennik_uslug.pdf) contains the roaming rates over the eurotariff limits (2.50 out/1.50 in vs max rates for Poland 2.24 out/1.10 in)

Old
  (#6)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 27-04-2008, 21:37

Quote:
I'm really surprised why mobile operators don't care about the fact that millions of Poles live abroad and they leave the market of international calls to calling cards, 0708 callthroughs services and VoIP....
Slightly OT, but how does one make cheap international calls in Poland from a landline?

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#7)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 28-04-2008, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
Slightly OT, but how does one make cheap international calls in Poland from a landline?
One doesn't make at all.

But seriously - what do you mean by "landline": TP SA, other operators like Dialog, Netia, MNI etc., payphones? And what are highest rates in zlotys, both for foreign landlines and mobiles, which you would accept as "cheap"?

Old
  (#8)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 29-04-2008, 04:16

Quote:
But seriously - what do you mean by "landline": TP SA, other operators like Dialog, Netia, MNI etc., payphones? And what are highest rates in zlotys, both for foreign landlines and mobiles, which you would accept as "cheap"?
I mean a normal, non-mobile phone. Since cheap international calls to most destinations are not possible from a mobile phone, what's the best method from a landline? TPSA charges 1.49 PLN to call most of Europe and the USA. Tele2 charges 66 grosz -- obviously an improvement, but not cheap.

By comparison, in Germany (which 10 years ago had just about the highest rates in the civilized world), you can choose a provider on a call-by-call basis from a standard Deutsche Telekom landline, and calls to these destinations are usually 0.8-2 cents/min; websites such as billiger-telefonieren.de allow you to see current rates. However, there is no Polish equivalent, and even the masses of phone cards available at the post office do not display their rates (and there's no comparison website that I know of).

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#9)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 20-04-2008, 21:43

Yep, Mova's nothing special, though the free minutes here and there for shopping at Carrefour might make me buy a SIM to burn them off (Otwock, where I am much of the time, has a Carrefour Express, a de facto monopoly supermarket). I notice that it seems to be the first Plus-related offer to give cumulative card validity, up to 12 months (but at the same stingy rate of 3 months/50 PLN that pretty much all prepaids offer in Poland). As it is, to enjoy your free minutes, you still have to buy airtime regularly just to keep the SIM active, and it's nothing special.

A low-priced international SIM, or one with generous expiration, is something that could make a big difference on the Polish market. But, for example, Play had the chance to do something bold (as a new player, pardon the pun), but it had comparable rates, rapid expiration, and rotten international rates as everyone else. Now it's Carrefour's turn to be undistinguished. Hmmph.

Old
  (#10)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 28-04-2008, 22:42

Quote:
Yep, Mova's nothing special, though the free minutes here and there for shopping at Carrefour might make me buy a SIM to burn them off (Otwock, where I am much of the time, has a Carrefour Express, a de facto monopoly supermarket). I notice that it seems to be the first Plus-related offer to give cumulative card validity, up to 12 months (but at the same stingy rate of 3 months/50 PLN that pretty much all prepaids offer in Poland). As it is, to enjoy your free minutes, you still have to buy airtime regularly just to keep the SIM active, and it's nothing special.
Yes, it's nothing special, but not very bad either. However, I really wonder why Mova doesn't offer any data services - not even MMS! The only "modern" service is videocalling in the Plus 3G coverage...

Quote:
A low-priced international SIM, or one with generous expiration, is something that could make a big difference on the Polish market.
By "international" you mean the SIM with low international rates? Yes, you're right - the rates are horrible now, but something is going to change (very slowly). Since last year Heyah has a special 0.68 PLN/min rate to Ukraine (and the Ukrainian version of the website). A week ago Simplus introduced 3 "cheap" numbers (EU w/o Gibraltar and French overseas territories + Belarus, Croatia, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine). It costs extra 5 PLN/30 days/number but the rate is 1 PLN/min with 1/1 no-setup-fee debiting - really new for international calls from Polish mobiles. Today I read about plans for a first "ethnic" (precisely Ukrainian & Vietnamese) MVNO...

As to expiration, you probably mean expiration for outgoing calls. Eg. 1 year for incoming with working free VM and some 0800 in Orange isn't that bad...

Quote:
But, for example, Play had the chance to do something bold (as a new player, pardon the pun), but it had comparable rates, rapid expiration, and rotten international rates as everyone else. Now it's Carrefour's turn to be undistinguished. Hmmph.
Hehe, but Play is not a MVNO! That's why must suck money whereever possible to build its real network and pay for national roaming to Plus in the same time. For the same reason, they are allowed to have MTR at 0.65 PLN/min whereas "the Big Three" has 0.40 PLN/min (and will drop in May to some 0.33 PLN/min).