PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
wisniak (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 04-05-2012, 09:13

sykeung,

I did receive the SIM and the person from the GiffGaff community also purchased for me a top-up voucher (I transferred money to him via paypal).

I'll be traveling to the UK in early July so besides the helpful support I can't say anything about the product itself (eg actual coverage, browsing speeds etc).

The tip I received was to purchase 10GBP of credit via the voucher. This will give me a bonus of 5GBP of credit. And just before traveling I need to purchase (using the voucher) a 3GB data package (that's what I need, there are smaller (cheaper) packages) and will still have about 2.5GBP left over.

The important thing is to activate the SIM and purchase the data package just before you travel, as they are limited to 30 days.

Old
  (#22)
sykeung (Offline)

Default 04-05-2012, 10:03

Thanks very much. wisniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisniak View Post
sykeung,

I did receive the SIM and the person from the GiffGaff community also purchased for me a top-up voucher (I transferred money to him via paypal).

I'll be traveling to the UK in early July so besides the helpful support I can't say anything about the product itself (eg actual coverage, browsing speeds etc).

The tip I received was to purchase 10GBP of credit via the voucher. This will give me a bonus of 5GBP of credit. And just before traveling I need to purchase (using the voucher) a 3GB data package (that's what I need, there are smaller (cheaper) packages) and will still have about 2.5GBP left over.

The important thing is to activate the SIM and purchase the data package just before you travel, as they are limited to 30 days.

Old
  (#23)
gikku (Offline)

Default 11-09-2012, 04:45

giffgaff members will post sims internationally, and the first top voucher also, just ask.
Want a sim but you're abroad? - The giffgaff community

Old
  (#24)
gikku (Offline)

Default 11-09-2012, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFH View Post
So the OP could try entering the postcode of the Royal Mail's Mount Pleasant sorting office, EC1A 1BB, in the postcode and the full Israeli address above it. That way, it will get to one of the Royal Mail's international sorting offices who will then direct it accordingly. I've done something similar when ordering Irish SIMs to the UK and it works.
I also did this, worked, but delivery took 7 weeks to Australia.

Old
  (#25)
dxy (Offline)

Default 12-12-2012, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisniak View Post
Thank you, NFH.

I just found a local site that sells t-mobile prepaid pre-activated SIM cards.

Is there some sort of plan that I need to purchase in order to have data? eg 1/3GB.

Further, are there SIM cards than can do both voice & data?

In 2010 I had a Vodafone SIM card in Italy, it was a mess, huge costs for data (which is my main use). Throughout my 2-week visit I was unable to change the plan I was in to a more appropriate one.
Same happened on a 2009 visit to Paris.

On later visits to other European countries there was no such problem - the SIM worked immediately and had very good 3G coverage - Greece, Spain, Sicily (Italy) and other countries.
I think this is the one you want because it has the most free data
https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/text-and-data-sim-card
However, you can spend your top up how ever you want. you dont need data separately unless it is a contract SIM. Because you are going for Pay as you Go then just dont worry about it.

Old
  (#26)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-04-2013, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFH View Post
As I said before I suggested GiffGaff, O2 may be your best bet.

With regard to coverage, it's worth understanding the frequencies of each network:
  • Vodafone - 900, 1800 & 2100
  • O2 - 900, 1800 & 2100
  • Orange - 1800 & 2100
  • T-Mobile - 1800 & 2100
  • Three - 2100
Lower frequencies penetrate buildings much better, so Vodafone and O2 have a slight advantage. However, Orange and T-Mobile recently merged and you can now roam between both networks free of charge, meaning you get two networks' coverage as a customer of just one network. Consequently coverage on these two is arguably better now than Vodafone or O2. Avoid Three, which only has 3G coverage; everyone I know on Three complains about coverage and lack of signal.
Based on this, I joined giffgaff and PM'd a member to see if he'd ship a SIM to me in the US. Hoping the O2 network is good.

Otherwise, I guess I'd look for T-Mobile or Three when I arrive in London.

Tags
postcode, united kingdom