PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Sproketz (Offline)

Default TIM for 13 days in Italy: voice,SMS,tethering - 20-03-2013, 22:56

I have gathered quite a bit of information on this forum (thank you!!!) but still feel a little confused by the pre-paid phone options.

I have an iPhone 4S (already unlocked). I want to use the phone in Italy for 13 days in May '13 (Venice, Florence, Manarola, Siena, Rome).

I want to be able to:
-Make/receive calls (Mostly short calls within Italy to confirm lodging reservations, etc. Calls to/from the States would only be necessary if something urgent came up at home or at work.)
-Receive voicemail
-Send/receive text messages (to both iPhone and non-iPhone users)
-Access the internet and online apps on my iPhone
-Tether my iPhone to my laptop (when free wifi is not available or a secure connection is required for work. VERY important.)

It seems like TIM is the best option for me (but I'm open to suggestions).

Am I correct that I should purchase these TIM options: 'prepaid SIM card' for 10 EU and a 'data pack' called 'TimSmartMaxi' 5EU for 1 week?

Thank you.

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 22-03-2013, 15:34

Yes, that's all correct.
Wind can also be an alternative, but TIM is supposed to have better coverage.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
Sproketz (Offline)

Default 22-03-2013, 18:30

Thanks Effendi. Just a few more questions...

Will I be able to verify that the phone, text, internet and tethering options are all working before I leave the shop? (Will the store be able to help me set up any configurations required for tethering?)

Will they be able to show me how to get sms messages from TIM delivered in English (and other english menu options)?

Will I get instructions on using voicemail?

Is there an option to speak to an English-speaking agent on the TIM customer service phone number?

What is the process for getting another week of data? (I want to be VERY careful that any renewal charges will NOT automatically apply to my credit card.)

Thanks, again!

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 25-03-2013, 08:36

Let's try to answer all your questions!

1) With TIM usually you have to wait some time before the sim is active. It can be half an hour or a couple of hours. Unless they changed their system. So you should wait a bit before checking the sim. And then you probably have to wait some more time for the data package activation. BTW you always receive an SMS telling you the option is active.

2) I hope they should!

3) Voicemail should be very easy to use, if it's in English. BTW in Italy nearly no one uses voicemail, so expect quite a basic service. Anyway I think there's no sense to use voicemail in Italy!

4) No way

5) TIMxSmartphone MAXI renews automaticcally every 7 days. No one will charge your credit card, it's a prepaid card, if you have credit they take it, if you don't, you stop using the sim-card.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#5)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-05-2013, 22:02

You might consider a package that gives you more data, like Internet Start or Internet Large.

A lot of hotels, both those belonging to big chains and small family-operated ones often have unreliable, slow Wifi. The chains are now giving you real slow connections for free but try to upsell you to "business class" broadband which is only about 2 Mbps.

I've used the predecessor to the Internet Large plan over a 2-week period as I was moving around to different hotels. It was good not having to rely on hotel Wifi, which is unreliable.

ETA: In most cases, the TIM coverage is good and I got over 4 Mbps regularly. Compare that to a recent trip in London. My hotel gave 30 minutes of Wifi for free so I bought a 1-week package for 10 pounds. Speeds would sometimes be over 12 Mbps down and about 500 kbps down. But then during the day and night, that speed would degrade often to a few hundred kbps down.

I also got a 3 SIM, 1 GB for 10 pounds, and the speeds on that were 3-4 Mbps.

Old
  (#6)
Seeley (Offline)

Default 21-06-2013, 00:20

Hello, I'm planing on traveling abroad to Italy, with a touch of Switzerland and Southern France and would like similar coverage as what Sproketz describes. Only difference is, I have an android tablet and android phone. But I'm a complete noob with mobile connectivity stuff. I visited the TIM website and had a difficult time navigating and finding the "TIMxSmartphone MAXI" plan. Can someone please provide a link to TIMxSmartphone MAXI plan and Internet Start or Internet Large?

So the better choice for visiting Italia, is TIM over WIND? I'm looking at a 4 week trip. Thanks so much.

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 26-06-2013, 10:05

Here is Internet Start:
Internet Start | TIM
You get 4GB instead of 2 for this summer. It has a monthly fee of €12.00 plus an activation fee of € 5.00

Internet Large:
Internet Large | TIM
but it doesn't make much sense to spend 20€ for just 1GB of data more than the Internet Start which is much cheaper.

TIMxSMARTPHONE MAXI doesn't exist anymore (I have to update the pages). Here are the Smartphone options available by TIM:
- TIMxSMARTPHONE: 300MB/week for € 3.00/week. No tethering, no VoIP, no P2P
- TIMxSMARTPHONE MESE: 1GB/mongh for € 10/month. No tethering, no VoIP, no P2P
- TIMxSMARTPHONE 4G: 500MB/week for € 6.00/week. Tethering allowed, 4G/LTE allowed, VoIP maybe allowed, no P2P.
All info (in Italian) here:
Offerte Internet per Smartphone | TIM

With WIND here are the options:
- Internet No Stop: € 9.00/month for 1GB. Tethering allowed, no VoIP
- Internet Big: € 15.00/month for 3GB. Tethering allowed, no VoIP
- Internet Unlimited: € 20.00/month for 10GB. Tethering allowed, no VoIP

Those options can get cheaper if you active one of the several options for free minuts and messages offered by Wind.

Both TIM and Wind have good coverage. TIM has 4G, Wind not yet.

Old
  (#8)
Seeley (Offline)

Default 26-06-2013, 18:38

Effendi, Thanks so much for the information. I looked at all of these. For data, with my untrained eye, it looks like the Wind "Internet Unlimited" offers the best deal: 20 € per month for 10 GB. But no voip? I thought I noticed somewhere that voip was allowed? Thanks again.

Old
  (#9)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 27-06-2013, 12:20

Once it was allowed, now they write it's not... who knows...

Old
  (#10)
Seeley (Offline)

Default 28-06-2013, 00:59

OK. Thanks