Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Question 29-12-2006, 16:12

India? which one?

they have several networks...

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#13)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 29-12-2006, 16:45

hey, I didn't say there is one, but I think there is plenty of scope

Old
  (#14)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 29-12-2006, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
hey, I didn't say there is one, but I think there is plenty of scope
maybe the one voda uk are in a fight with hehehehehe...three months till upgrade day on orange...yayyyyyyyyyyyy

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#15)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-06-2007, 00:53

Time for some more guesses

ok, not really India, though I could see a possibility, as one network says it has some quite cheap roaming anyway

Around January, some O2 networks announced add-ons for a monthly fee that would mean cheap roaming, with free incoming calls

We're still waiting for Cloud9 from the Isle of Man ...

In the last two days, I've seen or spoken to what could be three new roaming arrangements, two of which I found by complete fluke, though the one will be several months away and seems unlikely to me

Is this happening everywhere?

Mind you, I spoke to someone in Ireland well over a year ago who claimed to be working on a roaming SIM deal and it's never happened

We might be about to see one or two other surprises ...

Old
  (#16)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 16-06-2007, 19:22

Quote:
We're still waiting for Cloud9 from the Isle of Man ...
Launching this thursday (21st) they say. I'm actually on the Isle of Man at the moment so it'll be interesting to see what's available. (however as I travel less in Europe nowadays Cloud9 might not be much use to me as that's their focus).

Cable and Wireless (www.surething.im) are also due to launch any day now, and seem to be doing a better job at local publicity.

Both networks are now active (transmitting). Sure Mobile was supposed to be active for roamers during the recent TT races (I wasn't here then) but neither network accepts roamers right now.

Old
  (#17)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 19-10-2007, 14:49

with a few rumours of more new SIMs, could be a new country appearing ...

Old
  (#18)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 19-10-2007, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkav View Post
my money is on the 'Republic of Hull' and maybe Andorra!
I "Googled" and "Wikied" Republic of Hull and found very little. Can anyone explain what and where this is located?

There are several small newly independent countries in the Pacific which might be good candidates were they better connected to the international communications networks. If the basic rate to call country code XYZ is over a dollar/euro per minute no one would want one of your SIMs even if incoming calls are "free". What ever country it is it will have to be well connected to international circuits.

Old
  (#19)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 19-10-2007, 23:02

It's a joke. In the UK, before cable turned up almost all of the landline telephones were run by the Post Office which was then then split to British Telecom ; BT was privatised in the mid-80s. But Kingston-upon-Hull (Yorkshire, northern England) has had a separate arrangement owned by the city for many years, and still partly is though about half was floated a few years back. Nowadays it's diversified owns an ISP and other interests, as well as still running local phone services there.

http://www.kcom.com/aboutus/ourhistory/

Back to SIMs, perhaps even the cheapest countries to call may be able to host them, if the termination fees are based on other forwarded numbers ... which means they might come from anywhere

Old
  (#20)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 20-10-2007, 18:21

Quote:
It's a joke. In the UK, before cable turned up almost all of the landline telephones ....
Got it. I was wondering if it was another of those small islands (e.g. Sark) with some strange legal status.