PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Telcel updates - 01-03-2009, 18:17

I just had a look at your updated Mexico page - you've covered the complicated tariffs of Telcel very well.

just a few corrections. The 3G/UTMS is 3G 850, not 1900 - so a Nokia E51 works fine (in the limited 3G areas). The cost to check the balance is 0.85 MXN not 1.15 MXN (the same as sending an SMS), can also be done for free on the website.

The "Por Llamada" (per call) tariff is now per 15 minutes, not per 20 minutes.

For recharging, cards are available from stores, Mexican bank accounts and ATMs can be used, and there are also some US companies selling online recharges (maybe not the best deal at current exchange rates, but handy to keep a card active from outside the country), examples are babblebug.com (I've used them successfully) and prepaidwireless.com.

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 01-03-2009, 19:41

Thanks for the corrections, I just updated the page

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-03-2009, 21:10

Does the Combinado plan also offer reduced rates to the US & Canada? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from their customer service.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#4)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-03-2009, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladS View Post
Does the Combinado plan also offer reduced rates to the US & Canada? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from their customer service.
As you've noticed, that doesn't seem to be documented.

But I did find a detailed (initially 2007/12) blog entry on the subject in Spanish:

Zak's Blog: Plan Combinado de Telcel

That states initially that the combined plan does not apply to international calls (calls it the "black spot of the plan"). But reading through the comments, it appears international calls were later added (by Aug 08 ). Hence the confusion.

So, according to that, yes, USA/Can calls should be "The cost of the first 2 minutes is 5.75 each, from 2.01 minutes is the 11.50 block of 20 min." - (which is now a 15 min block). I don't have that plan to check it, but I think I will switch the second phone to that plan soon, seems to be the best of both worlds.

Old
  (#5)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 17-03-2009, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday View Post
So, according to that, yes, USA/Can calls should be "The cost of the first 2 minutes is 5.75 each, from 2.01 minutes is the 11.50 block of 20 min." - (which is now a 15 min block). I don't have that plan to check it, but I think I will switch the second phone to that plan soon, seems to be the best of both worlds.
So for a 3 minute call you end up paying 23 pesos (5.75 + 5.75 + 11.50)?!

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#6)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-03-2009, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladS View Post
So for a 3 minute call you end up paying 23 pesos (5.75 + 5.75 + 11.50)?!

No, it's supposed to be effectively the same as the "per call" plan, except that calls are charged per minute until they reach the "per call" cost (11.50). In the case of international calls, that means calls under 1 minute are half the per-call cost, and then at two minutes it reaches the "per call" cost so no extra charge until 15 mins, when you get another per-call chunk. A three (and 4, and 5...) min call is 11.50 total, 16, 17, 18... mins is 23.00, etc.

Gets more complicated with domestic "frequent number" calls etc where the per minute cost is less than half the per call, see the chart on that blog page. Again a reminder this is just what I read, I don't have the plan.