PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Unhappy Trying to activate Vodafone UK PAYT SIM in USA - not working - 03-03-2009, 22:57

I purchased a brand-new Vodafone UK Pay as You Talk SIM on eBay and just received it, but can't activate it here in the US. Is it required for the user to be in the UK first before activating. I did not receive a phone number for the SIM in the package. The only number that worked was '5555' (Vodafone Passport - I was able to activate that oddly but not the line itself). All other calls, including to Customer services do not go through and the phone instantly hangs up when I try to make the call.

Thanks so much to whoever can help me out...

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 03-03-2009, 22:59

I think you have to register on the SIM's home network in order to be able to activate it properly.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-03-2009, 02:10

It is possible to activate UK SIMs in North America (I activated my O2 UK SIM here in Canada on Rogers in summer '07) but I got my Voda SIM in London, so all I can tell you is that it works here after you register it there.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#4)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 04-03-2009, 10:05

You should be able to activate it here. You will have to do it from another phone and you will need a UK address. I used to have an Orange UK sim and I activated it from here.

Here is Voda's number:

Pay as you talk +44 7836 191 919

Vodafone Contact us

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#5)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 04-03-2009, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
You should be able to activate it here. You will have to do it from another phone and you will need a UK address. I used to have an Orange UK sim and I activated it from here.

Here is Voda's number:

Pay as you talk +44 7836 191 919

Vodafone Contact us
Does the address you give matter? (I don't live in the UK nor am I there.)

I only got this SIM for lower data roaming rates in Canada. My operator charges 10.24 USD/MiB while Vodafone UK charges 4.99 GBP/MiB (lower due to exchange rates) in Canada.

Old
  (#6)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 04-03-2009, 16:32

Just give them any valid address. You can use a friends address or a hotel or so.

Okay, Let me get this straight: Your provider charges about $10/mb to roam in Canada.Voda lists blackberry and using the phone as a modem as 4.99 GBP. Anything else is 8.00 GBP. So, I am assuming you plan on using the former, for it to be even remotely worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
Does the address you give matter? (I don't live in the UK nor am I there.)

I only got this SIM for lower data roaming rates in Canada. My operator charges 10.24 USD/MiB while Vodafone UK charges 4.99 GBP/MiB (lower due to exchange rates) in Canada.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#7)
Ties Brants (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 04-03-2009, 21:46

I would think that there are cheaper options, for example Base from Belgium: euro 3,50/mb and they charge per kb. So you would really pay what you use.

http://www.base.be/base/en/home/offe...page.aspx/4131

You have to activate it in Belgium, but I would think it would be possible to get someone to do that for you.

Old
  (#8)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Question 05-03-2009, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ties Brants View Post
I would think that there are cheaper options, for example Base from Belgium: euro 3,50/mb and they charge per kb. So you would really pay what you use.

http://www.base.be/base/en/home/offe...page.aspx/4131

You have to activate it in Belgium, but I would think it would be possible to get someone to do that for you.
Wow. interesting. I wonder what is the cheapest way of getting data roaming in the world. €3.50/MB isn't bad considering it's roaming (is it even lower within the EU?). I find it insane that local prepaid data in Canada is so expensive ($0.03 to $0.05/KB).

Old
  (#9)
Ties Brants (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 05-03-2009, 20:22

There are some networks in Europe where you pay the same as in Belgium (2,50 / mb)
(for example KPN (the Netherlands), the owner of base and e-plus (Germany), also owned by KPN.

Three is even more interesting because they have "three like home" where you will pay the same on all the three networks, so if you have 1 gb data at home you can also use it on (most of) the other three networks. see for example three Italy:
PrePaidGSM: H3G (Italy)

The really good thing about Base is that they charge you by the kb. So if you use msn, text messaging on the internet or other programs that will only use a little bit of data you will only pay what you really used.

Last edited by Ties Brants; 05-03-2009 at 20:29..

Old
  (#10)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 06-03-2009, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ties Brants View Post
There are some networks in Europe where you pay the same as in Belgium (2,50 / mb)
(for example KPN (the Netherlands), the owner of base and e-plus (Germany), also owned by KPN.

Three is even more interesting because they have "three like home" where you will pay the same on all the three networks, so if you have 1 gb data at home you can also use it on (most of) the other three networks. see for example three Italy:
PrePaidGSM: H3G (Italy)

The really good thing about Base is that they charge you by the kb. So if you use msn, text messaging on the internet or other programs that will only use a little bit of data you will only pay what you really used.
I'm aware of how much better the deals are in Europe. My questions applied to use of a foreign (doesn't have to be European) SIM in Canada. If I were travelling about Europe, I'd probably have Vodafone Passport & 3 Like Home & use the latter wherever a 3 network is around and the former elsewhere.

Is charging by the kilobyte that rare? My home operator charges by the kilobyte abroad. Japan's operators charge by the packet.