PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default Restrictions on Purchasing SIMs in India? - 19-01-2007, 18:29

I'm going to India next week. I was wondering if anyone knew whether prepaids were wide open there or whether there were ID requirements...

Old
  (#2)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 20-01-2007, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I'm going to India next week. I was wondering if anyone knew whether prepaids were wide open there or whether there were ID requirements...
Late last year I purchased an AirTel Mumbai SIM pack and all they asked for was copies of my passport and photoID from my local office.

I was told you can also buy these packs from non-corporate stores without providing an ID on the spot but are expected to contact AirTel within 15 days to provide such documentation.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#3)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Wink 20-01-2007, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
2 year ago my ex girlfriend (american as you) bought in Bangalore a Hutch simcard simply showing her passport

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#4)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 20-01-2007, 17:06

It used to be really easy... As mentioned, you had 15 days to fill out a lengthy form and show ID at an office. Now new regulations have made things harder. The last time I was there you needed to submit a photocopy of ID to the operator (but not neccessarily at the purchase point) and then it could take anything upto 5 days for this to be put onto the system and for it to be approved whilst your SIM stayed locked! Not good for travellers.

Old
  (#5)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 29-01-2007, 13:33

Ugh. I have a wallet full of sims but nothing that doesn't roam and at least Euro1 a minute. I didn't appreciate just how new these rules are. I've looked at the Hutch and Orange forms and it is not entirely clear that I am legally entitled to purchase a SIM. I have a 10 year multiple entry visa into India which permits me to stay six months at a time. I'm going to try and get through it with this. I e-mailed Hutch tonight and will see if I can get a favorable response. I've prepared Orange and Hutch forms. I will also prepare a form for Airtel. I will bring pictures of myself, a pritt glue stick, and will pray, but I think I'm screwed.

Last edited by Stu; 29-01-2007 at 18:17..

Old
  (#6)
EllasDevil (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-01-2007, 13:38

I bought a Hutch sim card in the Gujarat area of India.

The store let me buy the sim card and it was activated within a few minutes. He did however tell me I had to come back with a photo of myself as well as my passport.

Check out Hutch's site for what information they require: http://www.hutch.in/prepaid/download_prepaid_forms.asp

However despite submitting my documents to the retailer, I recieved a SMS message from Hutch a few days later warning that my outgoing calls would be suspended until they had recieved my information.

I decided to ignore the SMS and it was only when I was in Mumbai airport, I noticed that the outgoing service was barred but it didn't matter as I was leaving that day.

What I would suggest is buying the sim card from the network's (Airtel / Hutch) own store therefore they may be able to assist better with the ID requirements to ensure you have no problems.