PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default Mobile Callback From Voipbuster/other Betamax brands - 01-11-2006, 13:16

I had not realised until today that Voipbuster launched a mobile callback method back in August. I read this on their forum, which can only be viewed when logged in with one of their accounts, not even with other Finarea accounts.

That interests me, and with some amusement, as I've emailed their other companies suggesting this, without reply.

It seems to use a downloaded Java application, rather than wap/gprs web pages to fill in.

Edit - oh, my Nokia 3120 phone says the application isn't supported. From their site
Quote:
initiate directcalls from your mobile phone, this is very interesting (often much cheaper then your own mobile operator) if you have to make calls abroad.

- you need GPRS / UMTS (to let the application initiate the call via internet)
- you need JAVA (CLDC 1.1 / MIDP 2.0) most newer phones support this
edit 2 - a list of Java versions on all phones
http://developers.sun.com/techtopics.../device/device

On a thread discussing it, their replies suggest that the other Finarea clone companies may follow. This would be fairly interesting as Voipbuster rates themselves are not that attractive, typically about 20 to 25c for European mobiles, but others have pretty keen rates for UK (or IoM, and 7c), Liechtenstein, Iceland and Monaco mobiles.

Several of the thread queries are misunderstanding the concept, and wondering why the callback to the caller's phone is chargeable - they are mistaking this for installing a SIP client in a suitable phone and trying to use it over data tariffs or wifi instead.

Other people seem to be having problems of one kind or another, and I need to read it more carefully to figure out if this is due to system problems or their own mistakes. It's a bit noticeable that the number of replies from Voipbuster itself seem to be taling off ...

This is the thread https://www.voipbuster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7269

As I say, you need to have a Voipbuster account to read the forum, but you can apply free and not put any starting credit on the account.

If it has too many problems, then I doubt that they would extend it to their other companies, and it won't get interesting enough for us, but I'll try to keep an eye on it from time to time.

Old
  (#2)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-11-2006, 12:45

Further to that ...

I logged in to the Voipbuster account this morning and noticed there is now an option of a "Call me now" button to put on your website.

This is interesting as, even without a website, it may be possible to strip down the code to just the URL, and count this as a wap/gprs bookmark. Inspired by DRN's success with a similar URL trigger method with CBW (or Enlinea), I did this with the Voipfone Call-me-back button and it works fine.

So I cut just the code from all the javascript and text, and put this in the PC browser address bar, and a nice call me now window comes up.

Unfortunately, it is on a secure webpage, so when I tried this as an address in the phone (cheap, Nokia 3120), I get a message something like the certificate cannot be verified. Well, I'm assuming that this means something about the secure page, but if anyone knows a bit more can they explain, like will this be impossible at all from any phone browser, or do PDA ones have facilities for storing security certificates?

And then, if it turns out to be possible, I'm hoping maybe they will launch this on their other clone brands, specifically Voipcheap.com with its cheap rate for UK mobiles

If it can't be got working, there is still Voxalot and Sipbroker to try forwarding Voipcheap to the IoM SIM, then use another provider for the other leg. I'd be interested if anyone has done this, as I can't see a reason to credit the VC account if it doesn't work

Old
  (#3)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 16-02-2008, 12:39

The mobile Java application is now said to work for other Betamax brands.

Quote:
on your MOBILE phone go to http://gsm.voipbuster.com (on some mobiles you need to choose 'download application' on some phones you can just go to the webpage)
Both numbers can be defined, though in different places in the program (own phone in Setup), and the phone's own contact list can be searched. This makes it useful for people wanting to use the mobile to set up a call to the landline they are staying at.

I've tested the callback with 2 other brands, and even my DialNow a/c will show the account balance [zero]. A call trigger uses about 1700-2000 bytes of data. The call can be cancelled in the client program, as well as either party hanging up.

There seem to be differences in charging. The set-up fee on this seems to be 1 cent per minute, whereas their other callback methods have a 5c connection fee. Freedays don't apply to these calls, so the cheapest tariff between 2 landlines would be 3c on many brands or presumably 2c on DialNow

For people likely to make a lot of calls though, I'd suggest looking at Voxalot mobile callback as well, as the Betamax brands can be used at the zero tariff for people with freedays. Not for all their brands though, as some do not support SIP while others have higher tariffs for such calls.