PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default VOIP service suggestion. - 25-07-2010, 21:16

I'm looking for a suggestion for replacement of my Voicestick VOIP account. I currently have one grandfathered Gizmo account (They aren't allowing any new activations) and have various IM chat accounts, including Google, Windows Live, ICQ, etc. My wife recently got an Android phone and I've been playing with the SIPDroid VIOP client, which is supposed to support video calling. I'm not really interested in having an inward DID phone number because I believe that most inward calls will be SIP-to-SIP. I think I just need a host where I can set up a free or low-cost address for receiving SIP connections and maybe a low-cost way of making VOIP calls. Another Gizmo address would be perfect but they aren't issuing any more of those. I don't suppose it's possible to use a Google Talk address to receive SIP calls, is it? I can't set up a server on my home system because I'm behind a firewall that I don't control. I'm confused.

Old
  (#2)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 25-07-2010, 21:22

Just use any of the Betamax services. They all should give you a SIP address as well. Cheapest by a long way! Have a look at them all on: betamax price comparison

Old
  (#3)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-07-2010, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
Just use any of the Betamax services. They all should give you a SIP address as well. Cheapest by a long way! Have a look at them all on: betamax price comparison
So freecall.com would work as well as any other and allow me to make free VOIP calls to US, UK and many other first-world countries?

Old
  (#4)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 25-07-2010, 22:41

Yes. However, free calls to certain countries are only active for 90 days after the date of your last topup. (Buying a topup entitles you to 90 "freedays"). With some other Betamax brands (e.g. Rynga.com) it is 120 days. Also it is a maximum of 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days and per unique IP address. In practice sometimes it is less. If you exceed this, there is a nominal per minute charge.

You can see all the SIP settings for your device at FreeCall | sip with freecall
You can take incoming calls at username@sip.freecall.com. You can also point incoming numbers (DID's) from other service providers to this address (such as the free USA Washington State based ones you can get from IPkall.com) .

You can also arrange to have all incoming calls (from your SIP address and DID) forwarded to your own mobile phone or landline telephone. If this is a USA based number, it is obviously done for free, provided you are within your 300 free minutes allowance. If you are abroad on a local SIM, you can get them sent there.

I think that's it in a nut shell. Just a bulk standard VoIP platform basically.