PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
mrdillinger (Offline)

Default 27-03-2010, 14:38

Noted. I will make sure to read the fine print when I sign up. Thanks for the reply Effendi.

Old
  (#12)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 01-04-2010, 06:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
Officially the only restrictions are hours online. But if you download/upload too many GB there could be problems. All operators have a "fair use policy".
Fair use means being able to use copyrighted material for non-commercial use without paying licensing fees.

Like quoting part of the book in a newspaper article.

Old
  (#13)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 01-04-2010, 08:08

No, fair use for mobile operators means not downloading gigas and gigas of data and things like that.... they really don't care about copyrighted material. BTW p2p is usually blocked on mobile networks.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#14)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 01-04-2010, 15:32

In the US, the words they use is "terms and conditions."

"Fair use" is mostly used in the context of copyrights.

Do the mobile operators list hard download caps?

Old
  (#15)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 02-04-2010, 03:03

This might be of interest, a blog post about installing USB keys offered by the carriers in Italy:

Making Things Happen Blog Archive TIM, Vodafone, Wind or H3G: who’s offering the best 3G internet access?

The guy refers to TIM having better coverage for the most part, Vodaphone having the better modem. Do these carriers have coverae maps showing where they have 3G vs. GPRS?

Old
  (#16)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 02-04-2010, 07:38

OK, found some info. including some coverage map info. But it's confusing, there are so many options.

Can someone outline the terms of the keys offered by Vodaphone and TIM?

Are these unlocked so that I can use them in other countries later?

Or are they locked and on contract with a required monthly top up?

This one from Vodaphone looks too cheap to be unlocked and seems to include some time as well:

http://www.areaprivati.vodafon...ternet_key_christmas

TIM has a lot of them and they come in many configurations. This Huawei E1692 for instance is available in a 59 Euro SKU and a 99 Euro SKU:

HUAWEI Chiavetta Internet E1692 7.2 MEGA - TIM

http://www.tim.it/consumer/c36.../o101037/prodotto.do

They both come with a Tim card with 5 Euro of prepaid traffic.

The 59 Euro also includes 5 hours of Internet.

The 99 Euro bundle says 1 year of navigation (40 hours per month for 12 months).

Can't tell if either of these are unlocked or if there are required top ups.

Or whether you can go to use say 100 hours in a month by recharging.

TIM has a good coverage map search:

TIM

Vodaphone has a map search but it returns no results. Tried Milan, Rome, nothing:

http://www.areaaziende.vodafon...9%2Cc&ty_key=az_must

Old
  (#17)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 02-04-2010, 08:35

Wasn't it easier to read here?

Buy an unlocked usb dongle on eBay and use it with any carrier. BTW dongles by TIM, Vodafone and Wind are unlocked on prepaid. The cheap one you linked is for postpaid.
The TIM dongles you linked are fine, but the 99€ one is no sense if you stay here less than 1 year and in any case the data offer is terrible.
They have good offers at Wind:
Wind - Shop

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#18)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 02-04-2010, 15:53

So something like this:

3G USB Wireless WCDMA HSDPA UMTS Modem 7.2M PC Laptop K - eBay (item 320509806382 end time Apr-29-10 00:34:02 PDT)

Wind does look good but I'm looking to stay in Deiva Marina and Varenna a week each and they don't seem to have shops in those towns.

Old
  (#19)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-04-2010, 05:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
Wasn't it easier to read here?

Buy an unlocked usb dongle on eBay and use it with any carrier. BTW dongles by TIM, Vodafone and Wind are unlocked on prepaid. The cheap one you linked is for postpaid.
The TIM dongles you linked are fine, but the 99€ one is no sense if you stay here less than 1 year and in any case the data offer is terrible.
They have good offers at Wind:
Wind - Shop
eBay looks to have about the same prices for the Huawei models that Wind are offering.

But those Wind models, such as the Huawei E1750 for 59 Euro include a SIM with 10 Euro? Is this unlocked model so I could use another carrier's SIM in the future or use in another country with a local SIM there?

Do WIND stores carry these modems or is it only online ordering? In particular, I'll be visiting small resort towns in Liguria and Lake Como. I may have to go to a nearby bigger town to find a Wind store so I wonder if they will have inventory.

I'll still try to get one on eBay but there are a lot of no-name products (not that Huawei is a big name but at least the Italian carriers resell that brand) there and it's not clear they're reliable.

Old
  (#20)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 07-04-2010, 12:02

Huawei is the biggest name in the dongles world...
I cannot tell you if any Wind shop in Liguria or Lombardia has the dongle you want, of course the only way to know it is going there and ask.
I live in Liguria (I'm from Genova), I know there are at least 3 Wind shops in Chiavari, about half an hour from Deiva, for example. No problems in Como. In Deiva there's NO 3G coverage with Wind, by the way, and I fear neither EDGE.
As I already wrote, Wind dongles are unlocked, no problem. They always come with a prepaid card, usually with 10 euros of credit, sometimes with more (there are many offers).