PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
bylo (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Google Voice VoIP Desktop Client Could Be On the Way - 08-04-2010, 21:13

Some people here may find this useful if it really happens: Google Voice VoIP Desktop Client Could Be On the Way
Quote:
Two blogs now claim, through sources at Google, that a desktop VoIP client for Google Voice is being tested internally. That's an exciting step toward making and receiving calls at your computer, on the same number that rings all your other numbers.

It's a move that's been expected since Google acquired Gizmo5, a voice-over-IP calling service that offered Skype-like connectivity between regular phones and people on computer connections. Google closed down Gizmo5's service to new sign-ups, and much has been quiet on the Gizmo front of late. So it would all seem to add up, and it adds a real value to Google Voice for a growing number of folks who only have a single cellphone number.

Phones: OnePlus 5 • Nexus 5
SIMs: CA Fido/Fongo • AT A1-B.free • Google Fi
R.I.P.: UM • UM+

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-04-2010, 21:47

Boring! VoIP trough computers is so yesterday! Instead of having to start my computer and then being tied to it (or to a headset), I want VoIP on my Android phone. But there's no Google Voice in Europe anyway.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 08-04-2010, 23:27

well, Gizmo has/had a mobile client as well, though I don't know of there's an Android version

Old
  (#4)
ls129 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 30-06-2010, 13:41

i managed to get both voip and web-triggered callback on my Android phone (Google Nexus One). trying to post a separate thread about this..

Old
  (#5)
Jervin (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 17-07-2010, 11:44

Yeah it's boring but currently, you can only check your GV account by logging in to your GV account and you need a browser to do that. If they have some desktop app then that would be an addition.