PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
international (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default Which UK SIM cheapest to activate from abroad just to have a UK number? - 26-01-2013, 06:14

Giffgaff? Lyca? Else? They seem to have the same tariffs but Lyca says it is preactivated which sounds pretty interesting given the fact that you can't be sure you can successfully activate a Giffgaff number from overseas(?). Giffgaff's site is pretty clear regarding prices, Lyca's is quite annoying: you have to select countries one by one.

As I understand the minimum top-up is GBP 5 (for all carriers), but as Lyca is preactivated I may use it even with zero balance for incoming calls whenever i'm in the UK. When outside the UK, I just want it to produce the "this number is not available at the moment" sign, but not the "this number is not activated yet" sign, preferably without having to top it up with GBP 5 from abroad, which may or may not work anyways. As I understand, I can keep alive a UK number by sending a text to that number every 6 months?

Old
  (#2)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 28-01-2013, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by international View Post
As I understand the minimum top-up is GBP 5 (for all carriers)
It's only 10p with Orange (in 10p increments), but the only want to buy these micro top-ups is in Orange shops (mostly rebranded now to EE). Another advantage of Orange is that you only need to receive a communication every 6 months in order to keep the SIM card active.

Old
  (#3)
international (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 17-02-2013, 11:30

Thanks for the info.

Old
  (#4)
international (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 18-09-2013, 10:12

So back to my original question:

- Which is the best SIM which I can pick up in a convenience store, not shipped to an address?
- Only a SIM to be active and me being available on it is needed, the cost of outgoing texts, minutes and data is secondary at this point

Eg. GiffGaff is out of the question it seems as they can only send it to your address. No info on Ovivo, though.

Old
  (#5)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 18-09-2013, 13:37

Do you need a mobile number? There are plenty of UK VoIP providers who offer free landline numbers.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#6)
international (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 18-09-2013, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladS View Post
Do you need a mobile number? There are plenty of UK VoIP providers who offer free landline numbers.
I already have a UK VoIP number. But I need the ability to receive SMS messages.

Old
  (#7)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 19-09-2013, 00:02

The main network brands will all be in shops, plus some MVNO brands such as Lyca and Vectone are in some shops, which you can search on their websites. I believe I've seen Lyca in Sainsburys, which is a national supermarket chain.

Ovivo, I think will be internet order and post only.

Have you looked on eBay? There are a lot of SIMs there. Or you can ask on giffgaff's forum, where some members are willing to post abroad; I could offer that myself, but I don't have any SIMs here at the moment, so that's not helpful if it's urgent.

Old
  (#8)
international (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 19-09-2013, 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Ovivo, I think will be internet order and post only.

Have you looked on eBay? There are a lot of SIMs there. Or you can ask on giffgaff's forum, where some members are willing to post abroad; I could offer that myself, but I don't have any SIMs here at the moment, so that's not helpful if it's urgent.
Thanks for pointing me that out. I guess some giffgaff will be the winner, since a GBP 5 credit there will take me much longer than a GBP 20 activation for the 'free' OVIVO offer.

Old
  (#9)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 19-09-2013, 07:00

I have activated giffgaff SIMs from overseas without any trouble.

Before you activate yours, PM me and I'll give you my number for the extra recommendation credit. (Or you can just use my giffgaff username, also Motel75, but you get less extra credit that way.)

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#10)
international (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 24-10-2013, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
I have activated giffgaff SIMs from overseas without any trouble.

Before you activate yours, PM me and I'll give you my number for the extra recommendation credit. (Or you can just use my giffgaff username, also Motel75, but you get less extra credit that way.)
Thanks. I will do that.