PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#51)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 30-08-2014, 00:12

Has anyone been able to use this without an EU credit card?

Is it still limited to credit cards from neighboring countries only, no way to top up at shops or any other way?

Old
  (#52)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 30-08-2014, 10:51

As it is a subscription service (even if it hasn't any contract), you can't "top up" this sim, except when you need some extras

Old
  (#53)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 30-08-2014, 15:58

So you can't add the data bundles, without a credit card from neighboring country.

Because you can't buy credit at the shops either.

More for people from neighboring countries whose credit cards can be used online.

Old
  (#54)
Rafael1989 (Offline)

Default 12-09-2014, 03:49

Has anyone tested if VoIP/SIP is blocked by Joe or not?

Old
  (#55)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 31-03-2015, 09:29

Good bye Joe: https://communaute.joemobile.fr/t5/B...ie/ba-p/632008

Old
  (#56)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 31-03-2015, 10:22

It recommends a transfer to Virgin

The Virgin offer to Joe customers starts from €4.99 a month, and includes something described as "fonctionnalité de blocage de votre forfait avec COCKPIT CONSO", the ability to block your package.

That sounds similar to the function on/off at Joe, but I'll read more about it later to check.

Edit: I'm not convinced the meaning of the word is the same. People on the Joe forum are saying Virgin doesn't have that on/off function.

Edit again: it's not the same thing. Virgin doesn't have an on/off facility, confirmed by their staff. See below.

Last edited by andy; 31-03-2015 at 16:25..

Old
  (#57)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 31-03-2015, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
It recommends a transfer to Virgin

The Virgin offer to Joe customers starts from €4.99 a month, and includes something described as "fonctionnalité de blocage de votre forfait avec COCKPIT CONSO", the ability to block your package.

That sounds similar to the function on/off at Joe, but I'll read more about it later to check.

Edit: I'm not convinced the meaning of the word is the same. People on the Joe forum are saying Virgin doesn't have that on/off function.
Well. That is not the issue.
JoeMobile used to be a good choice for people not having a French bank account or French bank card. You could combine their rolling contracts with certain credit cards from neigbouring countries. Even people not having these, found a workaround with Neteller and Entropay.

As as far I know, Virgin mobile is NOT ACCEPTING these cards. So it's not an option for foreigners.
So, has anyone been able to connect a contract (forfait) of Virgin mobile France with a non-French payment system?

We are not talking about their prepaid cards (cartes prepayées) which are very overpriced, but their contracs (forfaits).

I checked their forum and they said: "Virgin Mobile accepte le paiement par Carte Bancaire, MasterCard et Visa ! "
Now, we need to find out, if these MasterCards or Visas need to be French ones.

Last edited by wolfbln; 31-03-2015 at 11:28..

Old
  (#58)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 31-03-2015, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbln View Post
Well. That is not the issue.
JoeMobile used to be a good choice for people not having a French bank account or French bank card. You could combine their rolling contracts with certain credit cards from neigbouring countries. Even people not having these, found a workaround with Neteller and Entropay.

As as far I know, Virgin mobile is NOT ACCEPTING these cards. So it's not an option for foreigners.
So, has anyone been able to connect a contract (forfait) of Virgin mobile France with a non-French payment system?

We are not talking about their prepaid cards (cartes prepayées) which are very overpriced, but their contracs (forfaits).

I checked their forum and they said: "Virgin Mobile accepte le paiement par Carte Bancaire, MasterCard et Visa ! "
Now, we need to find out, if these MasterCards or Visas need to be French ones.

Good point.

I'd been thinking about that foreign payment card issue, trying to find some discussion on the forum or the FAQ about it - nothing I've seen yet - and was coming back to edit my post.

There are one or two Belgians asking that it appears that French residency is required, but not all the questions are getting answers as the other readers perhaps don't know (though the staff should be able to say something).

Maybe I'll ask on there later, or join the Virgin forum to ask.

If not, I just added a bundle to mine yesterday just to keep it alive, even though the chance of a visit next month is only 5 to 10%. I might ask for a refund.

Old
  (#59)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 31-03-2015, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Good point.

I'd been thinking about that foreign payment card issue, trying to find some discussion on the forum or the FAQ about it - nothing I've seen yet - and was coming back to edit my post.

There are one or two Belgians asking that it appears that French residency is required, but not all the questions are getting answers as the other readers perhaps don't know (though the staff should be able to say something).

Maybe I'll ask on there later, or join the Virgin forum to ask.

If not, I just added a bundle to mine yesterday just to keep it alive, even though the chance of a visit next month is only 5 to 10%. I might ask for a refund.
This was the "revolutionary" with JoeMobile. They allowed some non-French payment systems to be associated with their contracts.
Generally, the providers are very strict in France: French contracts only with a French payment system (Carte Bancaire or French credit card).

There are many options like Simyo, B&You and Virgin offering good prices on contracts, but are all inaccessible for foreigners.

And their pay-as-you-go SIM cards are really not an option.

According to the active French community in the prepaid WIKI, you are left with these choices (not having a French bank card):
- Bouygues (prepaid card)
- Free (contracts and prepaid) with limited coverage
- Lebara mobile (prepaid)
- Lycamobile (prepaid)
- Orange (prepaid = Mobicarte and Let's go)
- SFR (prepaid and contracts).

With "contracts" i mean "forfaits", which can be cancelled anytime by free will. The French hybrid between pre- and postpaid.
With the end of JoeMobile, France becomes once again a very inaccessible country for foreigners to get a good rate for your mobile.

Old
  (#60)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 31-03-2015, 12:22

I didn't know that SFR and Free accepted foreign credit cards. And even if you could subscribe a forfait, any French carrier requires a French address... so how would you get your sim card?

Anyway, avoid the Mobicarte from Orange: 3G is limited to UMTS speeds (yes, the original 384kbps of the first 3G mobiles )

Last edited by tux; 31-03-2015 at 12:38..

Tags
france, joemobile