PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
herkdrvr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default Travelsim & SMS - Reliable? - 18-06-2007, 11:55

Looks like I'm going to change from UM to Travelsim, but am curious if the SMS features are reliable? Can anyone speak from experience? I will utilize it mostly in Australia, China, UAE, and Germany. Thanks in advance to anyone that can speak to this question.

Old
  (#2)
olev_p (Offline)
Official Member

Default 20-06-2007, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkdrvr View Post
Looks like I'm going to change from UM to Travelsim, but am curious if the SMS features are reliable? Can anyone speak from experience? I will utilize it mostly in Australia, China, UAE, and Germany. Thanks in advance to anyone that can speak to this question.
In my expirince SMS works fine.

travelsim uses ordinary SMS service, like all other roaming operators like T-mobile, Vodafone, etc. So it reliable, but may be not extraordinary cheap.

Old
  (#3)
herkdrvr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 18-08-2007, 06:50

Hi all... okay, any experience with TravelSim and Verizon SMS? I've finally got mine activated. I was able to send an SMS to myself via the web but have been unable to send an SMS between my VZW phone, either way. Any experience? Thanks.

Old
  (#4)
herkdrvr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 18-08-2007, 07:00

Quote:
Hi all... okay, any experience with TravelSim and Verizon SMS? I've finally got mine activated. I was able to send an SMS to myself via the web but have been unable to send an SMS between my VZW phone, either way. Any experience? Thanks.
May have answered my own question. It appears Verizon doesn't play with any number in Estonia. Figures.... they are lousy when it comes to overseas stuff (GSM vs. CDMA, etc.). Cripe, just what I needed.

Old
  (#5)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 18-08-2007, 12:56

Quote:
You will find the SMS connection between any US CDMA carriers (e.g. Sprint, Verizon, Alltel) and any non-US/Canada GSM carriers to be virtually nonexistant. The US/Canada carriers got together and set up a system to pass SMS back and forth between each other but it depends on each carrier being hooked up to the interchange system. European GSM carriers don't generally exchange SMS with US CDMA carriers.

Old
  (#6)
herkdrvr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 18-08-2007, 14:39

Seems like you're right. However I know you can send/receive with a UK Vodofone number as my company uses them for their business PDA and I can send/recieve with no problem. Makes sense since they own 45%+ of VZW. Oi....

Surprisingly, I'm also unable to use my phone straight away with TravelSim. I have to go through their TravelSim Menu to make any calls, or use the *146* thingy, which is quite disappointing, especially since my UM card works well with this phone. BTW, it's a Vodofone V1640. Ah well, the trials of trying to be a world traveler and cheap at the same time. Hope the UM+ card shows up someday in my mailbox.

Old
  (#7)
olev_p (Offline)
Official Member

Default 23-08-2007, 14:50

Quote:
I have to go through their TravelSim Menu to make any calls
I suggest to try setting: 1101

(menu: TravelSIM>Settings> then enter digits 1101 then press OK)

it's compatibility setting for some Samsung handsets, which have similar problem.
but may be it helps you too.
After that direct calls should be possible.

To set back to default mode use setting: 1102.