PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 28-12-2007, 20:30

The deal extreme offer looks fair...article I saw had a suggested retail of $150, and you would expect a little more to cover their shipping cost.

Warning from mycellwatch.com forums is that you don't want to put any of these phones in flight mode (mobile phone off but everything else works) if it has a software version before mid-November because they may freeze up due to a software error. Apparently they rushed the first phones to market before they were thoroughly tested. Mine is OK, it has a Nov 17th software date. Can be checked with *#8375# code on phone.

I tried a T-Mobile USA reseller prepaid sim chip called Tuyo in it. Activated fine, and I set up the voicemail and tweaked the GPRS/GSM settings so I could access their website store in the browser (ringtones, wallpapers, etc.). Wow, that's an incredibly small screen for looking at the web!

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#12)
cyberbillp (Offline)

Default M800 - 01-03-2008, 16:37

Gadget Ken, I can't get wap or DUN working on my M800 using T-Mobile.

I used an APN of internet2.voicestream.com and also tried wap.myvoicestream.com. Couldn't get the browser to work at all. Also, I can't figure out how to turn DUN on, though it's listed as a protocol. Do you have any advice?

When I set GPRS to Always On, I do get a "G" on the front page of the watch.

Old
  (#13)
djmonsi (Offline)
Official Member

Default 10-03-2008, 11:17

its water proof?

Old
  (#14)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 13-07-2009, 03:09

I have three of these no-name Chinese watch phones (M600 since 2007-12-04, N388 since mid-2008, & W08 since later in 200 and the W08 seems to be the best one I got so far. The former two are only tri-band (900/1800/1900 MHz) while the W08 is quad-band. The W08 claims to be water-resistant to 3 bars but I doubt that. The N388 & W08 have cameras while the M600 doesn't. The units with cameras are very thick & wide (20 mm thick) compared to watches with phones in them, though someone used to wearing a Casio G-Shock would adjust easily. Firmware-wise, they all seem to have the same software with a few variations here and there. Only my W08 can vibrate, while the others just remain silent when calls come in even when the vibration setting is on. I bet that the much lower battery life on the W08 is due to the quad-band radio that unit has. The N388 seems to be the worst out of all three units I bought. It detaches from a plastic base, however what held it in the first place are just two plastic clips much like what one sees on a battery door. The N388 looks exactly like the 'Hyundai' W100. The M600 still works nicely these days even though I had to replace the strap twice. M600 has the worst reception but best battery life (once got 7 days standby from when the W08 would be lucky to last 2.5). By the way, all of these models I bought came with two batteries. It sucks that none of them have standard USB connectors on the devices themselves (though the W08 & N388 have jacks that look like mini-USB, they are not).

WAP works on these, however you must manually input all connection settings in the profiles. I have successfully got it working nicely with T-Mobile's & AT&T's set-ups. Even then, you can view only very small and extremely simple pages. The units run out of memory very quickly (anyone that uses older dumbphones probably knows what I'm talking about).

Firmware is very clunky if you ask me. You have to go through each and every menu and sub-menu to find some settings.

Using bluetooth or talking through the wrist-set's mic works OK for voice but my W08 has no mic on the device itself, forcing you to use bluetooth (not a big problem if you ask me). Expect maybe a couple hours talk time at most, maybe even an hour.

I mainly have an international SIM in whichever watch phone I am wearing to take advantage of the extra coverage one gets when using such SIMs. I find the display of the MCC/MNC in the alpha tag spot at times (this seems to happen more often with my int'l SIMs as opposed to local SIMs in the watch phone though) to be a cool geeky touch. Only placed two calls on these watch phones ever, just to show someone that it really works.

All in all, I find it cool to have one of these and have foregone regular watches for stuff that actually has connectivity. I do consider these at present to be novelty devices and wouldn't suggest replacing your regular phone with one of these. They are very cheaply made and using a tiny stylus for the resistive touch screen can get very frustrating at times. I do miss having the seconds and day of the week on the main display, as well as other wristwatch features such as a better stopwatch & countdown timer.

I can't wait till LG releases their first watch phone, the GD910, and hopefully shows us how it should be done.

If anyone has any questions relating to these, just fire away.