PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Ukap (Offline)
Official Member

Default Bermuda - 16-05-2007, 16:33

Going to be traveling to Bermuda - I have a USA GSM phone and a GSM Italian phone.
Which GSM frequency works in Bermuda?

Which is cheaper - Is it better to buy a Bermuda SIM when I arrive or use my UM Mobile (Liechtenstein #) with Callback World?

Old
  (#2)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-05-2007, 17:53

According to GSM world, Bermuda uses 1900.

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_bm.shtml

As for which way to go, It depends on how long you are going to be there. UM charges $2.09 and $1.09 for outgoing and incoming calls respectively.

If you already have a US GSM carrier that may be the way to go. Cingular charges $1.99 and Tmobile charges $0.99 in and out.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#3)
Ukap (Offline)
Official Member

Default 16-05-2007, 20:09

ouch!!! very expensive. Will only be there for 1 week. If I buy a sim card in Bermuda - anyone know the cost & charges for outgoing calls to USA from Bermuda?
Thanks

Old
  (#4)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 16-05-2007, 20:24

It's difficult to see even local call charges

I'd use callback and a Lowratevoip account, 0c per minute

But callback is a criminal offence, punishable by up to a fine of $50,000 or 2 years in prison, so make sure you use this service from another country than Bermuda

http://bermuda-online.org/iddcosts.htm

http://www.digicelbermuda.com/produc...y=digicel_flex

http://www.m3wireless.bm/plans/current/

Last edited by andy; 16-05-2007 at 20:46..

Old
  (#5)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 16-05-2007, 22:43

While United Mobile is a good value in some countries...roaming cost is prohibitive other than maybe for a quick couple of "I didn't get lost in the Bermuda Triangle" calls before you buy a local prepaid sim or calling card. Only good deal on United Mobile in Bermuda would be SMS text service because that's a flat rate. My Iridium satphone works in Bermuda for less a minute than a United Mobile call...and that's not saying much.

Would suggest either:

1) Buy a Digicel Flex prepaid sim card and some airtime vouchers. Excellent coverage on the island. Used to be Cingular Bermuda but was sold with many non-US Caribbean Cingular properties to Digicel of Jamaica. Good thing is most Digicel prepaid cards allow roaming in other Digicel countries (in the Caribbean and Central America) for a reasonable rate, and even on Cingular USA for a somewhat higher rate. Think Bermuda to US direct dial on Digicel Bermuda used to be 75 cents a minute and local calls were a quarter a minute, but may be less now. Could use with a Bermuda calling card or non-Bermuda callback service to reduce international call cost. Digicel sim cards can be recharged from other countries using their webflex web refill system (either directly or through a dealer).

2) Low tech but reliable solution is buy a prepaid international calling card from a market or a vending machine in a store or at the airport. Usually around a quarter a minute back to USA from a payphone; think some are less. Ask if using from a hotel roomphone what the hotel surcharge is, if any. Think a better solution than non-Bermuda phone cards, because some are blocked or require dialing a toll number for access.

3) Possible to use Skype-Out via Wifi or ethernet connection if you can get a free or low cost connection (I know some 802.11b wifi service is available on the island). About 2 cents a minute back to USA on top of the internet connection cost.

Also a non-comm suggestion: buy a combo bus/ferry pass and schedule brochures at the table by the baggage claim area. Even if you take a taxi to/from your hotel(they discourage big luggage on the bus because they don't have much storage room; single small carry-on would likely be OK), using the bus/ferry service during your stay can get you just about anywhere on Bermuda easily and cheaply (plus the ferry service is a lot of fun!).

Enjoy! Lots of stuff to see and do on Bermuda!

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Last edited by GadgetKen; 16-05-2007 at 23:04..

Old
  (#6)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-05-2007, 23:32

Simetimes it's best to just send your calls to voicemail and leave a message for the caller to either e-mail or SMS you and you'll get back when you can.

Old
  (#7)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 17-05-2007, 01:01

Not that I am suggesting it, but yackie mobile lists Bermuda as $0.49 and $0.29 outgoing and incoming respectively. But, all yackie services are temporarily suspended. The sim is pretty much dead!

Old
  (#8)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-05-2007, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Not that I am suggesting it, but yackie mobile lists Bermuda as $0.49 and $0.29 outgoing and incoming respectively. But, all yackie services are temporarily suspended. The sim is pretty much dead!
Wonder if temporarily suspended will wind up being permanently closed....

Think a $10 or $20 calling card from a Bermudian vending machine or a supermarket used at a payphone is the easiest and most reliable solution. Plus they usually have nice pictures on them that make good souvenirs. Last time I was there I think I made two brief United Mobile calls when I got in (one because of a torrential downpour that I didn't want to venture out for a calling card for in), and one Iridium satphone call. Everything else was on a $10 prepaid calling card I bought at a vending machine at the mall by the Royal Naval Dockyards. Worked like a charm at payphones and lasted the whole week. Granted a payphone isn't as trendy as a mobile phone

Might buy a Digicel prepaid sim card for a trip to Grenada and the Grenadines later this year that I might use on a future trip to Bermuda (since usable anywhere within the Digicel network). Not really an international prepaid sim card because Digicel prepaid roaming is more restrictive than their postpaid plans, but think good for travel in Caribbean/Bermuda and has bells and whistles like optional GPRS.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device

Old
  (#9)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-05-2007, 06:03

OK, I actually found the Bermuda DigicelFLEX prepaid GSM brochure at home. Andy, I also found it odd that they won't post their prepaid rates on the Digicel Bermuda website....most other Digicel countries do post their tariffs online.

Assuming rates are still valid (brochure was obtained first week of July, 2006):
Prepaid cards available in denominations of $10, $20, $50, $100 (US Dollars and Bermudian Dollars trade on par and are both accepted at most establishments although change for US currency may be given in Bermudian, and most, but not all, vending machines do not accept US coins or currency). Card expires 60 days after recharge or when balance reaches $0. After expiration, you must purchase and recharge a new card within 120 days in order to continue using your account.
Incoming & outgoing calls:
7AM-7PM: 35 cents/minute
7PM-7AM: 25 cents/minute
SMS Text messages:
Local outgoing: 10 cents
International outgoing: 25 cents
Roaming outgoing: 50 cents
Incoming: Free
International long distance (flat rate except to satphones): 75 cents/minute
Roaming(local airtime)
USA: $1.49/minute
Caribbean: varies by country
Free voicemail retrieval ( dial #98 )
Free emergency calls to 911
Incoming voicemail left by caller: 35 cents/minute
Directory assistance: 99 cents surcharge per call
Includes Caller ID, Call Waiting, Voicemail and Text Messaging
Brochure also has a lot of information on how to check the balance, set up and retrieve voicemail from a regular phone or mobile phone and how to contact customer service; you can get a copy with the sim card if you decide to get one.

Old
  (#10)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 17-05-2007, 17:17

I will not be surprised at all if that's the case.

I actually emailed them to see when they plan to be back in service. I was surprised to get a response back. But, the person that responded to me said they have no Idea when service will be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
Wonder if temporarily suspended will wind up being permanently closed....