PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
msjfb (Offline)
Official Member

Default Netherlands + Belgium Data - 16-01-2011, 03:14

Greetings,

Is there a prepaid SIM I can purchase in Amsterdam that will give me data access in both the Netherlands and Belgium?
I will be spending 1 week in the Netherlands and 1 week in Belgium and I need to have internet 3G access from my phone (actually tethering) + of of course voice.

In other words is there an operator that will allow data in both countries without roaming charges or at least with reasonable rates?

Thanks,
François

Old
  (#2)
Ties Brants (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-01-2011, 17:42

It depends on how much data you need.
But I think getting 2 different cards will be cheaper. With vodafone NL it seems that you will be paying 2 euro per day and then you can use 20 MB every day in Belgium.
Within the Netherlands you can either pay 4,75 euro for 250 MB or 7,25 for 1 GB (both valid for 1 month)

For euro 4,50 you can get the "buurlanden blox" which allows you to call in Germany and Belgium at the same costs as in the Netherlands. So receiving calls will be free and calling will be 0,25 euro /minute. It doesn't change the price for data.

If you get a Base Belgium card you can get 50 mb for 5 euro or 500 for 10 euro (both valid for 30 days)
http://www.base.be/en/mobile/mobile-...n-your-handset
Do note however that Base has just started to roll out their 3g coverage. So depending on where you will be going you might only have EDGE.

BTW: the Mcdonnalds has free wifi, at least in the Netherlands. That might be use full as well.

Last edited by Ties Brants; 16-01-2011 at 18:02..

Old
  (#3)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-01-2011, 06:51

In Belgium you'd better get ALDI Talk (MedionMobile). It costs €4 for 400MB, valid for 1 month.
They also use the BASE network, which has nationwide EDGE coverage, and a fair 3G coverage in the bigger cities.

Mobile internet sim cards:
INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Feel free to consult me about sim cards in the Benelux and Poland.

Old
  (#4)
marcolino (Offline)

Default 21-01-2011, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
In Belgium you'd better get ALDI Talk (MedionMobile). It costs €4 for 400MB, valid for 1 month.
They also use the BASE network, which has nationwide EDGE coverage, and a fair 3G coverage in the bigger cities.

it wouldn't be better Mobile Vikings? For every 15 euros top up, it offers for free (you don't have to pay any option) 1000 sms and 2 GB of data.

Old
  (#5)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 25-01-2011, 14:29

Depends on how much MB you need, of course.
And also I am not sure if you can buy Mobile Vikings physically at a shop, or if you need to order it to a Belgian address?

Mobile internet sim cards:
INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Feel free to consult me about sim cards in the Benelux and Poland.

Old
  (#6)
ygeffens (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-01-2011, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
Depends on how much MB you need, of course.
And also I am not sure if you can buy Mobile Vikings physically at a shop, or if you need to order it to a Belgian address?
You have to register online, have a Belgian address and Belgian ID card (not 100% of that).
So for visitors the ALDI-card is by far the most easy thing to buy, completely anonymous, and ready in just one minute.
Insert, sent sms to activate data, done.

I have to admit, I'm a Mobile Viking user at the moment, simply because I want these 60 minutes of voice that are included.

Sim:
Belgium: Proximus Smart+ 15 (+32 496 contract)

Voip:
Weepee-voip.be

Phones:
Apple iPhone 32Gb 5S

Tags
belgium, netherlands