PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default US Pre pay sims, Costs and roaming? - 16-02-2007, 00:47

Ok say i want to buy either a cingular or tmobile sim card for america, how much do they cost for just hte sim pack and how does US roaming work (say i want to start off in Boston and also spend some time in New york? i really dont understand about raoming charges, ie you go outside your area, can anyone help?

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#2)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 16-02-2007, 04:17

Can't speak for Cingular...

T-Mobile is good. I have it. 10 cents a minute if you top up with the higher value cards. If you put $100 in it, you get 1 year of validity and any future cards you put in, of any value, are extend your time for a year. (They call it Gold Rewards.) For infrequent users this is wonderful.

If you can live with CDMA, PagePlus is worth a look too. Broader coverage area, slightly higher per-minute rate. Roaming is 99 cents a minute though.

T-Mobile's roaming is at normal rates, except in Canada where it's 40 cents.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#3)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-02-2007, 11:27

Tmobile is probably cheaper but definitiley easier to get than cingular. There is really no roaming per say in the US on any mobile plan or prepaid. As long as you are in the US, and you are calling anywhere in the US, the call costs are the same. So, you can have a prapaid sim with a California, Boston, etc. number, call anywhere with in the US it, and use it from any where in the US at the same cost. Bottom line...your minutes are nationwide. Both Cingular and Tmobile also give you 1 year expiration once you topup with $100. International calls are cheaper on cingular though. Tmobile is $0.10 cents/SMS sent. (international or US).

It also cheaper to get the sims on ebay. You can get tmobile sims with about 150 minutes for about $10 shipped(See link below). You can also change the areacode to one of your choice by calling tmobile Cust. Service. In most cases there is no need for it, due to the reasons above.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...sim&category0=

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#4)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 16-02-2007, 23:39

ok thanks guys, the info is brilliant! but i don't understand how much the sim packs are?

i don't like cdma, I have an unlocked moto slvr that is my travel phone so will be using that!

one more question, What other options are there as well as tmobile and cingular, i understand boost requires special firmware in there phones?

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#5)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-02-2007, 00:14

Nextel/BoostMobile in the US uses an old digital standard called iden that they will eventually phase out in favor of CDMA technology used by Sprint who they merged with(rumor of 2010). Handsets may be locked, but you can buy a kit with a phone and an iden sim card inexpensively on the web or from a department store when you visit. Also has a useful PTT feature at a flat rate per day.
Good chart of prepaid options in the Northeast US:
http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm
Agree with others a TMobile or Cingular prepaid GSM sim off ebay may be your best bet so long as your handset covers the 800/1900 Mhz bands used in North America.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#6)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-02-2007, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
Nextel/BoostMobile in the US uses an old digital standard called iden that they will eventually phase out in favor of CDMA technology used by Sprint who they merged with(rumor of 2010). Handsets may be locked, but you can buy a kit with a phone and an iden sim card inexpensively on the web or from a department store when you visit. Also has a useful PTT feature at a flat rate per day.
Good chart of prepaid options in the Northeast US:
http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm
Agree with others a TMobile or Cingular prepaid GSM sim off ebay may be your best bet so long as your handset covers the 800/1900 Mhz bands used in North America.
excellent, maybe will get either a tmobile or boost sim, i am going to go to the us when gwb sod's off! (i really don't like him!)

Spare (unused phones)

Old
  (#7)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-02-2007, 15:26

I got my T-Mobile SIM off a guy on eBay. It came with a Los Angeles, California (+1 323) number, which was okay with me - I will not be in any particular place in the US regularly, except for parts of North Dakota that T-Mobile does not natively serve. There is no long distance charge for inbound or outbound US calling anyway.

I paid about $5 (plus an exhorbitant $8 for shipping, which is okay - I knew I was paying it) and got about $20 in calling time. I've since added a $100 card so now I'm good until early February of 2008. (My original time expired in early February but I topped up before that happened.) Now even including my playing I have about $121 in credit (you get a bonus when you are in the Gold Rewards program).

Cingular has better coverage, but with the roaming areas included, T-Mobile is not that much worse. I think it's going to work out very well for me.

I have a PagePlus phone just in case, though. Verizon has the best coverage footprint of any network (when you include the roaming partners) and that's the network PagePlus uses. As mentioned above, boring CDMA, though.

My plan is to use PagePlus when I must and T-Mobile when I can.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#8)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-02-2007, 18:26

ok, tmobile, cingular and boost are the one's to look at, when i get there.....mmmm again early 09 i will be off to the US (Bob help you all!)

Spare (unused phones)

Old
  (#9)
AdmiralAK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 18-02-2007, 03:14

I compiled a list of all US GSM prepaid SIMs here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=824482

I try to keep it as up to date as possible

Club Admiralty - website with stuff about me
Current Prepaid: None
Older Prepaid: AT&T wireless; TracFone; Telestet; Vodafone GR; Fido; SFR; T-mobile US; Tuyo, Cosmote
Postpaid: at&t

Old
  (#10)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 18-02-2007, 09:52

Something to remember about Tracfone (yeah, it's not true GSM) is that you can get 120 minutes when you register if someone "recommends" you. You can find someone to do this on eBay (for one cent, usually). It makes it an OK offer for someone who's just visiting for a short time and doesn't have a US-capable phone (as they are available at the likes of Wal-Mart for $20).

However, I still generally recommend T-Mobile, with the suggestion that the user go to Gold Rewards status immediately. You can get a $100 topup on cheapphonecards.com for around $90-95 (enter the coupon code "cheap" unless you have a better one). Of course, they also sell topups for Cingular and the others. One thing non-US users often forget is that in many jurisdictions you have to pay sales tax on a topup (usually 5-10 percent), which you generally do not have to pay online, so there can be additional savings in topping up this way.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell